Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dylandran9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Trans Reply with quote

I am running a 2.5l chevy malibu engine (200hp) with 31 inch tires on my Baja build, what kind of transaxle could I get away with?
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans Reply with quote

Bug trans is out for sure, maybe a fully built later "002 style" internal bug trans might live for a little bit, but not long.

A carefully driven fully built 5 or 6 rib bus box could survive for a good bit with a soft clutch and some other tricks like a torsional input shaft and torsional axles.

A lightly used Mendeola is probably a good "match" for that power/engine and is actually designed to tolerate it in the rough stuff.

If you want to get weird and stay kinda cheap, a doctored up Vanagon automatic is actually pretty tough. I know two people with one and they kind of like them. Fitment is.... exciting in a beetle rear end, but possible with fab work.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans Reply with quote

A 3 rib 69-73 bus will be strong enough for 200hp...you will need only a few performance upgrades to make it reliable...there are plenty of guys running 3 rib trannies on the dunes...as long as your not dumping the clutch on hard surfaces it will be fine...you could also build a hybrid bus transmission using Weddleindustries 002 ring diff conversion that is much stronger than the 3 rib diff, so you use the 3 rib case and gears but allows you to use the stronger 002 diff....you can see my tranny being built on my Fiat baja thread.
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans Reply with quote

With a 3 rib, I would only use reverse to back it off the trailer...
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans Reply with quote

All 002 and the 091 transaxles have the same setup for reverse gear and it is the same as a type 1. Yes there was improvement in it, but still easy to break.
It was not until the 091/1 and 094 that the reverse gear was changed to a stronger setup.
FYI torque is what breaks transaxles, not horsepower.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
dylandran9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans Reply with quote

What about a 1987 6 rib is it any stronger?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans Reply with quote

The 091/1 transaxle from a 1987 Vanagon is stronger then the early versions.
It does have the better reverse gear and some of them came with a 4 spider gear differential.
To use on you will need to either build your own shift linkage or buy one.
There a cable operated setup or the Weddle setup that bolts on the side of the main case and then you need a couple of u-joints and tubing to make a shift linkage.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans Reply with quote

Aside from Cable-shift and Weddle's conversion linkage kit, Vanapplebomb and myself have both made versions of a 091-1 linkage so it is definitely possible. I have also rebuilt two 091-1s and they are one of the easiest VW transmissions to rebuild.

Vanapplebombs linkage is pretty representative of Weddle's linkage design, and my design is pretty representative of how the human brain works after significant occupational exposure to paint fumes.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: