Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

camera and edit software for you tube video
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: camera and edit software for you tube video Reply with quote

I am hoping to start on my 59 SC soon and thought about doing some video of the process. I was planing on using my tablet to take video and edit. Is this the best option or should I consider a digital camera? My current tablet is an LG10. Any recommendations for taking the video and editing software? Thanks.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: camera and edit software for you tube video Reply with quote

I would just make sure the tablet can shoot in 1080p. I do YouTube, DubWerks, and I use my phone for a lot of stuff and edit in iMovie. For basic edits you'll probably be fine on the tablet. If you go for a camera, I'd use a go-pro for the versatility.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: camera and edit software for you tube video Reply with quote

Good image stabilization is a must these days. You can get hand held units for a few hundred dollars that make a phone/tablet or small camera FAR more smooth, without the ripple effect during zoom/pans that the built-in stabilization causes. An alternative is post-process stabilization software, which is getting better lately. Crappy sound and jitter make for fatigue when viewing, so you want to revert or mitigate this.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: camera and edit software for you tube video Reply with quote

Zoom out all the way and get as close as you can while shooting. This will help to eliminate much of the shake.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: camera and edit software for you tube video Reply with quote

I did about a dozen safety videos when I was working. I used a digital camera with Digital-8 tapes, and a tripod, and the camera even had a remote control.

I used Pinnacle Studio software back then, about 8 years ago. Because images were digital, there was no loss of quality in editing. I did post all those videos to YouTube too.

Mrs. Cusser later bought a smaller digital camera which used smaller tapes, but now does any videos on her phone. I haven't made any videos since, except transferring our family VHS tapes to DVD discs.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: camera and edit software for you tube video Reply with quote

I have worked with every kind of camera there is, from point and shoot and cell phones up to movie camera systems that cost more than the average house. There is no "best option" for camera and editing gear. There are just too many options for gear and methods for doing what you want to do. Shoot with the highest quality camera you can afford, with a good lens. I haven't seen a cell phone yet that can produce a high quality moving image, the lenses and sensors are just too small and don't let in enough light. But, maybe they are good enough, just depends on the market for your finished product.

Even though you can spend a fortune on cameras and other gear, capturing the image is only a small part of making successful video.

Make sure you can plug a microphone into the camera so people can clearly hear what your talent is saying and plug in headphones so sound can be monitored. Microphone goes on the talent, not on the camera ... lots of people make that mistake and their product suffers greatly.

Light the scene. Cameras are light capturing devices. Very few of them make great images in the dark. If you don't have lights, shoot outside or near large windows.

Practice a lot shooting and editing stuff that doesn't matter. You will make some crappy stuff when you first start. Like anything, practice, practice, practice and you will get better. Lots of amateur filmakers got started by replicating scenes from favorite movies. Learn about how to frame the action, when to shoot wide, when to shoot close, when to move the camera during the shot, when to not move the camera.

Write a script. Know what you want to say. Editing is how you refine what you want to say, but you can't edit what you didn't shoot.

Best idea would be to hire a professional, or at least have a camera operator that knows what they are doing.

Oh, and don't use electronic zoom.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: