Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Much Flake?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: How Much Flake? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Getting ready to paint my fiberglass dune buggy body. Interior will be colored bed liner. Exterior will be base coat/clear coat. Yellow base and flake in the clear. Flake will be yellow/gold, small from PaintHuffer. I want the flake effect to be noticeable but fairly subtle. How much flake do I need to cover the buggy (figuring two flake coats and several clear over that). All advice welcome.
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: How Much Flake? Reply with quote

Amount of.flake is varying based on several elements, amount of solid in clear, air preasure, nozzle size, air cap. I use a sharpe gun, reemed out the nozzle to 2.0, then about 3 table spoons of .004 per pint Of clear. At about 40 psi and stand way back, kind of like shaking on salt and pepper after a wet coat and before more wet coats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sovereignsamba
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: How Much Flake? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Black base, 10 or 15 applications of flake plus 6 coats of clear. Urethane all throughout.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much Flake? Reply with quote

i used the dry flake cannon shooting into wet clear method on mine, then buried it under clear. lots of flake floating around after, but full coverage on the flake.

another project with the flake cannon

https://www.instagram.com/p/BThndVyA8mI/

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: