Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

Was going to try to do this tomorrow on my 2003 EVC rather than pay for a shop. I've done the brakes - front rear on my old Vanagons and know how to turn a wrench. Just didn't want to get into a sitch where I need a specialized tool or discover something unexpected. Thx in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

Vehicles with discs will have brake pads, not shoes, so if you have a set of shoes then you will have issues immediately.

You will need a special tool that rotates the rear piston while compressing it into the caliper, without this, the job is difficult at best. They are sometimes available for rent at parts stores or can be purchased cheaply at Harbor freight.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Vehicles with discs will have brake pads, not shoes, so if you have a set of shoes then you will have issues immediately.

You will need a special tool that rotates the rear piston while compressing it into the caliper, without this, the job is difficult at best. They are sometimes available for rent at parts stores or can be purchased cheaply at Harbor freight.

Thx for the quick reply - Yeah - I meant pads.
Thx for that. I don't have a piston reset tool. Didn't realize it was threaded. And I have a pretty good local shop. Might just take it to them.
THX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

The cheap HF caliper tool works just fine on Audis, so I assume it will work on the EV. If you've "successfully" done Vanagon rear brakes, then this will be a piece of cakewalk in the park. I despise T3 rear brakes with a deep and abiding passion. If your rotors are worn with grooves or a significant ridge along the perimeter, then you should strongly consider replacing those at the same time.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The cheap HF caliper tool works just fine on Audis, so I assume it will work on the EV. If you've "successfully" done Vanagon rear brakes, then this will be a piece of cakewalk in the park. I despise T3 rear brakes with a deep and abiding passion. If your rotors are worn with grooves or a significant ridge along the perimeter, then you should strongly consider replacing those at the same time.

I'm gonna try 'em myself this weekend. Will post up if I encounter/learn anything that would count as samba wisdom.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:

I'm gonna try 'em myself this weekend. Will post up if I encounter/learn anything that would count as samba wisdom.

Open the bleeder screw when you depress the piston, failure to do so will invert the seal in the master cylinder & render it useless.

Also, after the job is done, you will need to pump the brake pedal so that the pistons take up the void between the caliper & rotor BEFORE driving, otherwise you will not have brakes.

Do NOT pump the brake pedal beyond the normal travel that you would usually use. Depressing the pedal beyond this point will introduce the seals into areas of the master cylinder bore that might have rust due to non-use which will also damage the master cylinder. There are two schools of thought on this, if it does, it needed to be replaced anyway, and then there is the "It was working fine before you replaced the brakes.".

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

The first school is the school of mechanics, the second are hacks. If your master has enough corrosion to work in the Bore , you haven’t been changing your fluid enough.

I have the Lisle tool to rotate the rear pads , I’ll try find the part number for ya

My file says

28600 at Advance, about $13
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

If you are questioning whether you can do it or not, you may want to google the job and watch some youtube videos on the process. I have done a few things to my van after watching someone else do the repairs online, and that has been pretty helpful.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

I thought this was covered above but it isn’t

You can’t just press the rear caliper pistons back into thecalipers , they have to be pressed and rotated simultaneously,

The Lisle tool or other lets a 3/8 ratchet turn the piston in.

Nothing to see here folks. Shows over. Move along.

Last edited by Abscate on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I thought this was covered above but it isn’t

You can’t just press the rear caliper pistons back into thecalipers , they have to be pressed and rotated simultaneously,

The Lisle tool or other lets a 3/8 ratchet turn the piston in.

I covered it in my first post.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

Uh, oh ,uh, um...

FAKE NEWS!!

Sorry about that. I hope th gaslighting helps you see in the dark,
dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
dixoncj wrote:

Open the bleeder screw when you depress the piston, failure to do so will invert the seal in the master cylinder & render it useless.

Also, after the job is done, you will need to pump the brake pedal so that the pistons take up the void between the caliper & rotor BEFORE driving, otherwise you will not have brakes.

Do NOT pump the brake pedal beyond the normal travel that you would usually use. Depressing the pedal beyond this point will introduce the seals into areas of the master cylinder bore that might have rust due to non-use which will also damage the master cylinder. There are two schools of thought on this, if it does, it needed to be replaced anyway, and then there is the "It was working fine before you replaced the brakes.".

I didn't see this post til later. And went ahead and changed the pads this weekend. I did unscrew the master cylinder cap while I did the job - but didn't open the bleader at the rear when I screwed the calipers back in. (Got a socket driven tool for that job at Oreilly for $10. The brakes seem to be working. Should I still go ahead and bleed the rear brakes? Also - the wear indicator on the Wagner shoes had such a piece of crap mount that I just plugged it in, covered it with shrink wrap and ziptied it to the brake hose instead of affixing it to the shoe. I think I can be happy with visual checks when the tires are rotated - which I do every time I change oil.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

It wouldn't hurt to flush the system but if the system wasn't opened, then there is no reason to bleed it.

Just be aware of the potential of master cylinder failure. If you are at a light & the brake pedal starts to get lower or you feel it changing height, change it ASAP.

dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rear EVC brake shoe replacement 2003 w/ rear discs - Tough job? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
It wouldn't hurt to flush the system but if the system wasn't opened, then there is no reason to bleed it.

Just be aware of the potential of master cylinder failure. If you are at a light & the brake pedal starts to get lower or you feel it changing height, change it ASAP.

Re the MCyl - definitely.

I had the system flushed a couple of weeks ago actually. The dang mechanic, however, did NOT inform me of the state of the rear shoes. I got to find that out with a little telltale grinding sound when they were applied. No damage to rotor fortunately.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: