Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this a good tranny for my BAJA build?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AMFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Is this a good tranny for my BAJA build? Reply with quote

I think this is my first post, been a lurker for years. great site!

Quick background; I have owned a bus, and a road beetle but I finally pulled the trigger and decided to build a baha. for now I am thinking to build what some would designate a stage 1.5 baja bug? starting out with trails and fire-roads and trips to the grocery store. I dont want to break the bank building this before I even figure out weather I enjoy driving it. I have a 1970 baja someone broke and forgot about and I bought last week. I have a 1700 type 4 engine from a 914 (according to the numbers on its case) with a center mount 2bl webber carb set up to screw into the transaxle, and it will be drive able to do all that as soon as I get a trans-axle.

It needs a trans-axle as it currently has a type 1 that leaks from every orifice possible., that i am guessing was beat on pretty hard as the urethane mounts are basically crumbs and not there.

I found a 5 rib 002 with the numbers 002 301 103 F

from my reading on this site "T's for dummies" I understand it is 002 5 rib with a 4.86:1 r&p IRS trans-axle.

Would anyone be willing to help me with the 3 questions below or point me in the the right direction?

Would this trans-axle be a good start for my bug or am I better off looking for a 091 if I think I will end up like the rest of you guys and keep upgrading until I am worm food?

Assuming this is an original unaltered trans-axle in working order what is it worth roughly, or just figure core value if the guy selling it doesn't know anything other than it was his dads spare for his buggy?

If it is not in a car how can you tell if it is good or not or can you?

I am damn excited to start this project after so many years reading about all of you and your builds.

[/b]
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a good tranny for my BAJA build? Reply with quote

I run a 002 box in my Chenowth tube frame car with a 2332 and it works fine.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
AMFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a good tranny for my BAJA build? Reply with quote

good to know thing, thanks.... I have been reading and searching alot and thought this would be a decent transaxle and worth growing into rather than spending it on a type 1 for just a short time but wasnt sure.

The trans axle is probably my weakest point of knowledge and was looking for some reassurance.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a good tranny for my BAJA build? Reply with quote

It would do great just search into what it takes to put a bus trans in a bug, not a straight swap. FWIW my car has had a t1 behind and 1835 for over 25 years, never had a trans issue and it was mostly a desert car. Father in law would flat tow it out, beat it up and tow it back. My girlfriend drove it for almost 2 years in college and put a ton of miles on it as well. I recently just swapped to another t1 trans because I got one for a steal with a close ratio 3rd and 4th or else it would still be in the car. I've had the car for just over a year and rebuilt the motor before I even started driving it, it's been through burn outside, jumping all kinds of crazy stuff and never had an issue. Unless your harder then me on stuff or plan on over 150ftlbs of torque or so a t1 holds up just fine. I'm actually suprised how well the whole car has done since I beat on things pretty regularly lol. I will say though that the whole life of the car the trans has had a strap kit and frame horn braces bolted to the roll cage.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a good tranny for my BAJA build? Reply with quote

basic rule of thumb: $100 per rib for a core. $300 for a 3 rib 002, $500 for a 5 rib 002, $600 for a 6 rib 091

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a good tranny for my BAJA build? Reply with quote

Mal evolent wrote:
basic rule of thumb: $100 per rib for a core. $300 for a 3 rib 002, $500 for a 5 rib 002, $600 for a 6 rib 091

I like that analogy Mal. It is pretty accurate for the retail market.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a good tranny for my BAJA build? Reply with quote

MMMMMM! Ribs!
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a good tranny for my BAJA build? Reply with quote

AMFE wrote:
I have a 1700 type 4 engine from a 914 (according to the numbers on its case) with a center mount 2bl webber carb set up to screw into the transaxle, and it will be drive able to do all that as soon as I get a trans-axle.

It needs a trans-axle as it currently has a type 1 that leaks from every orifice possible., that i am guessing was beat on pretty hard as the urethane mounts are basically crumbs and not there.

I found a 5 rib 002 with the numbers 002 301 103 F

from my reading on this site "T's for dummies" I understand it is 002 5 rib with a 4.86:1 r&p IRS trans-axle.

Would anyone be willing to help me with the 3 questions below or point me in the the right direction?

Would this trans-axle be a good start for my bug or am I better off looking for a 091 if I think I will end up like the rest of you guys and keep upgrading until I am worm food?

Assuming this is an original unaltered trans-axle in working order what is it worth roughly, or just figure core value if the guy selling it doesn't know anything other than it was his dads spare for his buggy?

If it is not in a car how can you tell if it is good or not or can you?

[/b]

Use the 5 rib with the 4.86, it will work very well for that engine. Do not replace mounts with urethane just for the reason you found out. Use rubber with a transmission strap front and rear or even better a mid mount weld in and maybe a 10deg mount to keep the shift rod in the tunnel.

Two ways to check if it is good: Tear it down or Install it. Without a power load going to it you can not truly know if it is good and not jumping out of gear or bad syncros as example.

I do want to say for readers of the thread that Vanilla's statement has more truth to it than the internet banter you hear. I have had the same experiance with built T1's in the many Baja's that I have have owned, and the same longevity as Vanilla stated. I was even pushing a lot more power through mine versus an 1835. I have run the whole gambit up to a 2332cc dual weber engine I am running now.

Sure an 091 is the way to go, but the cost is a lot higher. I use built T1's, Built 5 rib, and built 091's. When I say built I mean prepped for off road use which can get expensive even for recreational use. I do not use R&P's giving lower gearing than 4.37 in T1 without stepping up to a 5 or 6 rib. You can break anything if you try hard enough, even an 091 with all Weddle parts in it you can still break, but they are a lot damn harder to break. Notice I don't mention the 002 3 rib, I just think money is better spent on 5 or 6 rib.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AMFE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a good tranny for my BAJA build? Reply with quote

thanks for the replies guys. it helps a lot.

i settled the deal with the guy today for mels rib to dollar price.

i have been reading up on best ways to mount it. i am leaning towards the 10 deg mount but will be researching this further.

i dont have much experience getting inside transmissions but plan to open up the type 1 currently in the car to learn more. i have the bently manual for type 1’s of that period. what are some good refrence books for the 5 rib i bought? or just get the shop bently manual?

Last edited by AMFE on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a good tranny for my BAJA build? Reply with quote

AMFE wrote:
thanks for the replies guys. it helps a lot.

i settled the deal with the guy today for mels rib to dollar price.

i have been reading up on best ways to mount it. i am leaning towards the 10 deg mount but will be researching this further.

i dont have much experience getting inside transmissions but plan to open up the type 1 currently in the car to learn more. i have the haynes manual for type 1’s of that period. what are some good refrence books for the 5 rib i bought? or just get the shop H manual?

Unless your also planning on buying a jug to setup the trans I would let someone else do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: