Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2k budget?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: 2k budget? Reply with quote

What rebuild of a stock 1600 dp could i do with a 2k usd budget? The car the engine will be used in is going to be a daily.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

You can do a stock rebuild as long as the major parts are not badly worn.

And YOU do the labor.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sweller341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You can do a stock rebuild as long as the major parts are not badly worn.

And YOU do the labor.

would a stock rebuild as well as CB's dual weber 34 ICTs work? I kinda figured the labor would be on me with that budget.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

Sweller341 wrote:
What rebuild of a stock 1600 dp could i do with a 2k usd budget? The car the engine will be used in is going to be a daily.

You can do A TON for $2000 if you are doing the labor. I sell engine kits with brand new cylinder heads for about $800, $1000 if you want upgraded internals. That leaves $1000 for any bad top end parts, maybe a better exhaust and carb system.

This all assumes that the case is good.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

If you can rebuild your heads, grind the crank, align bore the case, new pistons, cylinders, and bearings, rebuilt rods, etc. you can prob do it for under 2k. Sorta depends on machine shop prices, and if you have to ship the stuff..
Last engine I did like that, plus a new W100 cam, lifters, and a CB maxi pump totaled $1600 in parts and machine shop bills. Makes you wonder what you get with the $1000 rebuilds. Rolling Eyes
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

Completely depends on what machine shops you have in your area. I can rebuild one of my cores here for around $900 if the heads are rebuildable, but I also have every tool I need.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

Depends on what you have and if it needs machine work but yes if all you do is polish the old crank yourself with emry and change the bearings you could do it. Maybe just do rings instead of new P&C Kit.
Main Bearings +$40
Rod Bearings ++$30
Cam Bearings +$15
Lifters ++++++$30
Gaskets +++++$25
Flywheel Seal
Curil T
Rings+++++++$30
Rods ++++++$120+$25 Shipping
Clutch +++++$121+$25 Shipping Disc $30 ThowOut $30 (Get the right one for your Trans.)
PushRod Tubes $40
Heads +++$360 Cheaper Heads
Flywheel Resurface $40 at your local machine shop
Add about $500 for everything from Spark wires and Plugs, Distributors, Exhaust Sys, Paint Cans and Cleaners, nuts & bolts, tools, nicer maybe a Flywheel Puller.
Local Shop to align-bore and balance $200
Total so far is: $1661
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

If you don't have someone local to do the crank or rod rebuilding:
I'll tell you that you can fit a crank and set of rods into a USPS flat rate box to DPR machine. Have him send you back a finished one and rods, and bearings to make it all fit whatever line bore you have the case cut to.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

Should be possible to do a real rebuild for under 1000$ if you get a few core engines that are halfway good, know engines, and have good services for what you can't do yourself.
You might argue this is unlikely because vw engines are OLD and tired, and, often that's true.
Then again a lot of engines are rebuilt poorly and blow up in 5000 miles, which means a lot of the parts only have 5000 miles on them Wink

So, each one is a unique adventure. Very hard to say what kind of expectations to have. Perhaps, expect the unexpected.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

Two years ago I rebuilt my own 1600cc DP engine to install in my 1970 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664950&highlight=resurrection+1970 . Local VW machine shop did the case and did a great job reviving my factory cylinder heads. I did the teardown and assembly. Obviously new bearings, pistons/cylinders (Moresa), CB Maxi2

I documented my total as $960 in parts/machining for the 1600cc engine; however, with incidentals I likely forgot to add in were 85.5mm ring compressor, engine oil, brass nuts for the exhaust, new fuel tank, etc. I was likely up to $1200.

I installed a MoFoCo rebuilt transmission, that's been great. And I also did other work like complete brakes, voltage regulator, wiring, etc.

So about $2500 to resurrect a VW that had been sitting unused on the side of my house for 23 years, including a known noisy transmission and an engine which had been run for 3 years after running a few miles without any oil, due to Mrs. Cusser ignoring the warning lights/gauge.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

modok wrote:

Then again a lot of engines are rebuilt poorly and blow up in 5000 miles, which means a lot of the parts only have 5000 miles on them Wink

More than a few times, I've bought an unknown engine, that had new heads or cylinders bolted onto an otherwise whooped lower end. D'oh!
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

My first "build" was made from...
One engine with a snapped crank but new p&c and heads that was in the bus
One that someone had abandoned when they couldn't get it to run right - the distributor advance was jammed solid. They did a diesel conversion, the whole van stank of diesel, yuch!
One set of bearings
One set of rings
One gasket set.
I'd never even considered what was in an engine let alone rebuilt one but it turned out great and for very little outlay. Having two complete ones meant 2 of all the bolt on bits too so all those little bits didn't add up like they can if you start with one.

My latest was again made from two complete very cheap engines. The biggest cost was machining but it's not stock and that's how it goes. 2.4l for £2000 starting with an empty engine bay. If you want to do something cheaply there's always a way. It may not be the best way but there's no way I'd throw the kind of money I see quoted on here on a VW air cooled whole vehicle let alone an engine. Sure I'd like to but my wallet says no so I have to be patient and canny and live with not having the ultimate.

And lets not forget it's possible to detonate very very expensive engines too. That really would break my heart. Very Happy
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

I have reason to believe that you will do your build for the under the 2k. It can be done using good stuff.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2k budget? Reply with quote

It all starts with your engine case.

check it for align bore wear, warpage, lifter bore wear, thrust wear, pulled head studs, cracks, pressure relief bore wear, deck surface wear, oil pan stud thread integrity, etc...

good used parts will do from there when on a tight budget...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: