Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELPHOS accessory pressure hose with valve - how to use it?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: HELPHOS accessory pressure hose with valve - how to use it? Reply with quote

Hi,
I should get my HELPHOS accessory pressure hose with valve can be connected between the spare wheel and the container.

Please let me know how to operate it:

1. How much pressure the spare wheel need to be 2.5 bar or 3 bar?

2. Short hose goes to water tank and long hose goes to spare wheel?

3. What's the purpose of the small knob? when I shoud use it?

4. What's the purpose of the valve (ventil) in the bottom of the accessory?

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: HELPHOS accessory pressure hose with valve - how to use it? Reply with quote

The hose passes the same pressure from the spare tire to the wheel, it just cuts it off when the pressure gets low, keeping the spare from going flat. I'd keep closer to 2.45 bar.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: HELPHOS accessory pressure hose with valve - how to use it? Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
The hose passes the same pressure from the spare tire to the wheel, it just cuts it off when the pressure gets low, keeping the spare from going flat. I'd keep closer to 2.45 bar.

It's "supposed to" cut off when spare tire pressure drops to set value !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: HELPHOS accessory pressure hose with valve - how to use it? Reply with quote

Do you have answers to the questions above?

Thank you
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: HELPHOS accessory pressure hose with valve - how to use it? Reply with quote

Ofir wrote:
Do you have answers to the questions above?

Thank you

Not really, my USA 1970 and 1971 Super did not have such valve, and mine quit working decades ago, why both are now electric.

But pressurize the reservoirto 3 bar (45 psi), see if pressure holds and also stops air passing from spare tire at 26 psi (1.8 bar). The reason for the shut-off there is because that's the pressure the rear tires should be.

Direction through the assembly should be from spare tire to the reservoir tank.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: HELPHOS accessory pressure hose with valve - how to use it? Reply with quote

Don't go that high. I've seen an early tank split in half. They are rated 35PSI. The cutoff valve on the early style accessory hoses is more like 18PSI.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: HELPHOS accessory pressure hose with valve - how to use it? Reply with quote

The owner's manual says 36psi for the stock system. Perhaps try that and see it it works?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: HELPHOS accessory pressure hose with valve - how to use it? Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Don't go that high. I've seen an early tank split in half. They are rated 35PSI. The cutoff valve on the early style accessory hoses is more like 18PSI.

Well - oldest I've had is 1970 !!!
Ofir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: HELPHOS accessory pressure hose with valve - how to use it? Reply with quote

2.5 bar (36psi) on the washer bottle, it's a small one of bug 1966
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: