Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What bus is this?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joenuke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: What bus is this? Reply with quote

When I was about 10 my parents had a VW bus. I would like to know which one they owned. This is the only picture of it. Can anyone give me some info? Thanks so much!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

That would be an early (68-71) tin top Westy judging from the taillights and jalousie window. I"m sure someone more knowledgeable than I can narrow the year down further.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

Hmmm..., I guess that's as big as the picture can get?

I'll guess it's a 1970 Kombi with a replacement bumper installed (Euro deluxe trim), hard to see the hub caps but the color looks most like Elm green. The windows look like the 2 pane ones found in Sportsmobiles and some Rivieras, I don't think it's a Westfalia.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

That's cool! I wish my parents had enough style to own a Bus when I was a kid.
The rear side reflector looks square and the mounting location of it makes the Bus a '70 or '71. And as advCo says, you can tell by the jalousie window on the sliding door and the sink / icebox cabinet inside that it's a tin top Westfalia. Or someone added the camper interior at least. But that picture was pretty early on in it's life so I would assume it came that way. Too bad you don't have any better pictures. Are you looking to get a similar Bus for nostalgia, or just curious about what it was?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

I'll guess it's a 1970 Kombi with a replacement bumper installed (Euro deluxe trim), hard to see the hub caps but the color looks most like Elm green. The windows look like the 2 pane ones found in Sportsmobiles and some Rivieras, I don't think it's a Westfalia.

You might be right about the window Busdaddy. It looked like a 3 pane, but maybe not. It's hard to tell without a clearer picture. But that cabinet inside the door looks Westy, unless Sportsmobiles had a similar one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

I copied the photo into word and blew it up.....

In doing so - I can't comment any further on the year, etc. But the roof rack thing is really interesting. You can't see it at all well in the small photo, but it looks sort of like a giant grey plastic milk crate - maybe 2' front to back and the width of the top.

It also looks like the cabinet behind the passenger seat is the sink. There is a lot of stuff piled there.

I honestly don't know if there is any significance, but it doesn't look like there are any head rests either.

Also - it really looks like the window is a 3 pane window. The top pane just has a really significant reflection and the lower two do not.
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Yeah, my first thought was a tin top Westfalia pre-72; I see 3 panes on the jealousy window I think - just the top pane looks more white? Maybe Im wrong though, not the best picture, cool bus.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

dualbay wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Yeah, my first thought was a tin top Westfalia pre-72; I see 3 panes on the jealousy window I think - just the top pane looks more white? Maybe Im wrong though, not the best picture, cool bus.

Tough to confirm from the tiny pic, it could have 3 panes.
If it is Westfalia it's a Euro delivered one since they didn't come in that color in North America, it's also a better explanation for the trim on the bumper (didn't come with it, but more wrecking yards with them in stock than here after that embarrassing "incident" that dark night). But the marker lights are throwing me off, not many Euro delivered buses had those. I don't see any trademark curtains showing in the windows either, but that odd bump under the LH tail light might be a Euro shore power plug.

Joenuke, was your dad in the military in/near Germany?, or somewhere else where he may have encountered a fellow serviceman who may have brought that back with him and had it for sale?

I wonder what that bumper sticker says?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

Iam seeing a 70 or 71 if I could see the hub caps that would tell witch one. I agree with BD the bumper trim tells me euro but the tail lights look all red.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

It’s obviously a 68 with the push button door locks and low rear view mirror Laughing

What years did early Bays have the exhaust tail pipe on the right side?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
It’s obviously a 68 with the push button door locks and low rear view mirror Laughing

Only the years that required aftermarket replacement exhausts. Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Robbie

Understood. What was the typical life span of an OEM exhaust back in the late 60s/70s? OP what year was your picture taken?

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Robbie

Understood. What was the typical life span of an OEM exhaust back in the late 60s/70s? OP what year was your picture taken?

I wish I could answer that accurately for the '70s demographic… But I recently helped out with a euro-spec 1600cc Type 1…

~74,000 miles on it, and it still had the original heat exchangers, long block (except heads) and muffler. The car was incredibly well-preserved, and the exhaust system needed nothing more than new gaskets to seal up the clicky-clacky tick-tock leaks at idle.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Robbie

In upstate NY, about 2 years for that exhaust
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Xevin wrote:

Robbie
LOL. My vote is ‘70 tin top Westie. Although I’ve never seen one in that color as Busdaddy says.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
If it is Westfalia it's a Euro delivered one since they didn't come in that color in North America, it's also a better explanation for the trim on the bumper

Yeah, its really interesting, the bumper looks right for those years, I'm wondering if that isn't just some parts store rubber trim someone threw on there to protect the bumper? I mean they did mod other parts of the bus like the milk crates on the roof, maybe even crashed it and re-painted that color.

Here's a kind of similar 70 on Samba; though you can tell this has been re-painted green, not original color.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2235782
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
OP what year was your picture taken?

It says "Circa 1974" in the photo gallery post. Which makes it seem strange that it would have so many modifications / changes so early on in it's life. Anything is possible I guess. Hopefully the OP will chime in with some more info.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
Xevin wrote:
OP what year was your picture taken?

It says "Circa 1974" in the photo gallery post. Which makes it seem strange that it would have so many modifications / changes so early on in it's life. Anything is possible I guess. Hopefully the OP will chime in with some more info.

I was thinking the same thing.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
dualbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

Here are 1970 paint codes, similar greens were available, but as mentioned did Westfalia ever convert buses in that shade of green?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What bus is this? Reply with quote

dualbay wrote:
did Westfalia ever convert buses in that shade of green?

Not for the North American market, but the full palette was available in Europe, I've seen a Brilliant blue one with the small pop top for example.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: