Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'78 CEII "Sand" white top source?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: '78 CEII "Sand" white top source? Reply with quote

If ever there was a case for striking when the iron was hot, this is it. A decade ago, I had a line on a top for my CEII. The CEII had what was called a "sand" top. Sand referenced the texture more than the color (color was an off-white similar to old GM or old Ford white (probably closer to Ford white)). Fast forward ten years (sounds like a line from Pink Floyd), and that source is no more. Chucks is doing pinpoint, as is everyone else it seems. Anyone recently have luck matching up (at least closely) the texture and color of the orig CEII tops? If so, man I'd like to hear it. If not, looks like pinpoint for me. Thanks.

A bit too much of a close up of my orig material:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: '78 CEII "Sand" white top source? Reply with quote

Is this CEII a reference to a convertible Beetle or Bay window Bus?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: '78 CEII "Sand" white top source? Reply with quote

Super Beetle. Anyway, disregard. I've been pouring over the interwebs for days. Just pulled the trigger and went with pinpoint in Ford white. Not the texture I wanted, but the color is pretty spot-on. Was a time you could get Haartz Cabriolet Vinyl in a texture that was pretty close, but the color was very bright white. Now it seems it is no longer available for the late supers and/or only available by the yard (no pre-fab tops). Too white and the "tan" seems too tan. So, done and done. However, I did request sample from Haartz, so if they show up, and either the tan or white is close, then I suppose I could get a custom jobby. Pinpoint for now (or forever).

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 CEII "Sand" white top source? Reply with quote

For others that may travel along this path. Here's Ford White in pinpoint (what Chuck had recommended at one time):

Here's a further back shot of the orig material. Still washed out by the cam, but it's an off-white and has faded more to white over the years.

Should be close enough. At least my top boot is orig and in great shape. Ford White should be pretty close to an exact match to that.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: