Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Deebs wrote:
Went to my first pawn shop yesterday and dug through their tools.

I've been looking at a few pawn shops in Phoenix, and they seem to want a "flippin' fortune" for their stuff !!!

Cusser, their hand tools were reasonable but the money they wanted for lightly used power tools (impact wrenches especially) was just insane.

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Here’s professional series it has finer teeth for reduced swing and it is made to a higher standard
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Z, I have picked these up and used them at work several times for small jobs around the store (Just 1/4" mostly). I must say, they feel like quality and the tooth count is nice too.

Local Sears had one of that exact ratchet left for $23.97. Almost did it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

At the end of the day I wouldn’t be afraid to buy craftsman tools. If anything we now have more choices of where to get replacements. There’s so much of this stuff still out there it’s crazy. Very Happy
Deebs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

I've been seeing a newer brand "Tekton" pop up more and more. Good feedback from Youtube videos of real mechanics using their stuff. They're giving me 30% off prices as a student so I went ahead and ordered stubby 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets (never had stubby ratchets and wanted them) and a 36 mm impact socket for doing new rear drums soon.

All three were $30.60 with free two day shipping.

They get here Wednesday. I'll put some photos up so you guys can see.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

These were absolutely horrible on your hands if you had to use them all day. The sharp angles/edges would bite, especially on tighter fasteners. These were in my first kit, now designated to the junkyard box.

These were an attempt to get back some of the people who realized just how much the previous examples sucked. By the time these came out, I had no notion of stepping foot in another Sears again. I got tired of the weekly visit to swap out sockets made of lead glass.

I have one of these too, that I found in the middle of the road, not as objectionable as the first examples but always felt sloppier in the ratcheting mechanism, good for the junkyard box also.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
These were absolutely horrible on your hands if you had to use them all day. The sharp angles/edges would bite, especially on tighter fasteners.

You must have really soft hands. Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Deebs wrote:
Went to my first pawn shop yesterday and dug through their tools.

I've been looking at a few pawn shops in Phoenix, and they seem to want a "flippin' fortune" for their stuff !!!

I used to live by a ton of them in Phoenix and everything looked like junk when I went searching the bins a few different times.

I've had better luck at garage sales, when I spent the time to go driving around early. A lot of junk too.
I have a couple snap-on wrenches I got for like $1.
Hard to find metric stuff though
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Here’s professional series it has finer teeth for reduced swing and it is made to a higher standard

I had the same version albeit a black chrome of some sort.. a neighbor gave it to me as thank you for some work... while I was appreciative of the gesture it went straight to the scrap metal dumpster after it stripped the teeth clean on an oil drain plug..

Well... I also have it in a gold plated version.. in a walnut box.. .. its a nice shelf piece. Laughing

Maybe I just got a bad one.. I will admit.. the "feel" of the polished style wrenches are much better than the dinosaur square style.. but I've found tools that are too smooth slip in my hand more than I like when applying needed pressure.

The old red and black plastic handle Snap On stuff would kill my hands.. I could not stand them.. while a co worker buys all he can find..
What feels good for one.. may not feel good for another Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

I'd honestly rather go to Lowes and buy Kobalt, the major reason being they have self-checkout so I don't need to wait while the Sears cashier fumbles with their cash register from 1987 with the green CRT display.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I've had better luck at garage sales.

Same here. And also even better up in Chino Valley AZ.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

I still would maintain that craftsman tools are more than adequate for beginners, weekend mechanics and guys just starting out. I’ve even seen more than one guy or gal that has used them exclusively throughout a career.

I know something about stress and strain using hand tools as well having wielded a rivet gun 5 days a week 8 hours a day in a production environment for years and I’ve seen more than one case of carpal tunnel amongst my buddies. Now they make entire line of tools which are designed to be ergonomically correct. First to alleviate the symptoms are these gloves that contain a gel to isolate vibration, they sure help. The Dr. when diagnosing hand injuries caused by stress will also prescribe using different tools, so you’ll bring several which makes you change positions while performing the task at hand, pun intended. Very Happy

I also like these palm ratchets and the stubby and the cushion handle, then there’s that old Flying V spinner it’s craftsman too. You have choices.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
I'd honestly rather go to Lowes and buy Kobalt, the major reason being they have self-checkout so I don't need to wait while the Sears cashier fumbles with their cash register from 1987 with the green CRT display.

Buy online and you’ll never even have to get dressed Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I still would maintain that craftsman tools are more than adequate for beginners, weekend mechanics and guys just starting out.

Yes sir, I stated this in my first post.

Like you, I probably have 50-60 ratchets in many different configurations from 1/4" to 1/2" drives & some duplicates in the bunch.

Here’s a couple of long since discontinued Snap-On ratchets that double as speeders that you should keep an eye out for.

I broke an ear off the handle of the 1/4" one years ago & since it was NLA by that time & incompatible with current ones, I cut the end off & welded a newer one to the old handle.

The end of the handle has bearings in it like a speeder should.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

Stopped at my local Sears yesterday, and nothing seems out of normal. No big signs, plenty of stock, regular sale tags, etc. I didn't ask anyone about the impending doom, but the two guys that approached me while I was there seemed to be relatively new to the store. Had I seen one of the long timers that would likely recognize me, I would have asked what he knew.

I did buy a couple of LED flashlights for four bucks, but I had to wonder about all of the items I saw with a prominent warranty tag next to the sale price.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:

Lowes is now selling Craftsman tools, but so far I only see a few sets. I have no idea if they will sell individual pieces in the stores. My local stores had some discounts on all the Kobalt tools, so I wonder if they will replace Kobalt with Craftsman. Probably all made by Stanley now in the same Chinese factory anyway.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

back in the late 90's/early 2000's, Craftsman tools were made by Danneher Tool Corp. Don't know who make them now, but I know that is who used to make them

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
hotsam wrote:

Lowes is now selling Craftsman tools, but so far I only see a few sets. I have no idea if they will sell individual pieces in the stores. My local stores had some discounts on all the Kobalt tools, so I wonder if they will replace Kobalt with Craftsman. Probably all made by Stanley now in the same Chinese factory anyway.

Ace is the place. They had a very detailed assortment of craftsman tools and pieces. Unless it was an emergency why would anyone pay full retail when you could buy second hand and get better quality for less money. Question number two, if you had a choice why would you buy chinese shit over American? These same fanboys wish us veterans well on Veterans Day. Real nice thanks.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

I love Craftsman tools. Love Snap on and Matco and SKs, Thorsen. But for beating on impact tools use -the harbor freights are pretty handy. I am yet to break on on impact use.

About to give my medium toolchest to my brother so I can get the bigger commercial ones for myself. I just told wifey I may need an update in my tools. She says okay. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

There are deals if you look for them.

Everything in this drawer was bought used off of ebay. About $75 total with shipping. All Craftsman, all made in USA. Will probably pass on some of the newer bits as I don't need that many extensions.
By the way. A lot of stuff from all of the Sears going out of business sales has ended up on ebay but I tend to stay away from the chinese made Craftsman tools.

I have a vise on my welding table outside, but I wanted to add a small one inside my workshop. I happened upon this USA made Craftsman vise in a local junk shop for $25. Main handle is slightly bent but it works well. I am going to clean it up a little before I mount it.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle

Last edited by Q-Dog on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Question number two, if you had a choice why would you buy chinese shit over American? These same fanboys wish us veterans well on Veterans Day. Real nice thanks.

That’s a bit hypocritical considering your penchant for German & Jap scrap cars. Rolling Eyes

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Went to Sears for closeout Craftsman tools... Reply with quote

The last day of local closing Sears store, I got 5 lawn tractor blades ($20 list) for just under $3 each, so way less than even online. And one small Craftsman slot screwdriver was under $2.

Not much merchandise was left, figure most was transferred previously and not sold.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: