Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs..
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

Hello, looking into my next build and like to get into some interesting info just to chat about on about the perks and trade offs on the different types of Journals that are used in Stroker Engines.

These are VW, Chevy, and Buick. But I do think there are more available.

So, what is the difference for I know some give a longer stroke, but also have seen that some are just hype for what has been obtained information wise over the years or VW eunthiest using them all. Yes, this is not a new topic for Drag Racer's lets say have expiremented with them all. But this is what I look at for me and what I think is relevant reasoning to share the info, Daily Driver's Street Build that the engine's are built for Longevity..

So, for an example a 2180 with 92 Mahle Pistons and a 82 crank. Now, which cranks to avoid and which to stick with and what Journals to do the same, stick with and avoid for a mileage engine. And yes, guess this even applies to 2110's and 2276's.. Examples here for there over 2,000cc...

That is the question, to enlighten myself to get the most bang for your buck torque/hp wise, but also in remembering, this is for a mileage motor like 80,000-100,000 mile engine with of course periodic Valve Jobs.. RB
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

Chevy and Buick are the same thing.

So the primary choices are vw, Chevy, porsche.
And it comes down mostly to rod clearance on a stroker.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

The Buick journal cranks are incorrectly called Chevy as Chevys never used a 2" journal on their cranks, but yes VW, Porsche and Chevy are the options. On large stroke cranks a VW journal will have more overlap between the main and rod journals making former a "stronger" crank, but the slightly smaller big end of a Chevy journal crank allows for less clearancing on the case giving you a "stronger" case.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

smaller diameter journals have lower bearing linear speed for a given rpm so on paper should last longer,
of course that does not account for crank flexing, case fretting etc
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
The Buick journal cranks are incorrectly called Chevy as Chevys never used a 2" journal on their cranks,

many chevy engines used 2"
the small block v8 initially had 2" journals, 327 being the most famous size.

The 610p buick bearings were used because they are the most narrow, but clevite P series buick are NLA. you can get other TOP QUALITY 2" bearings and narrow them, and doing that would probably the best short of going to subaru.

Porsche bearings are not very good and cost waaay too much.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

modok wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:
The Buick journal cranks are incorrectly called Chevy as Chevys never used a 2" journal on their cranks,

many chevy engines used 2"
the small block v8 initially had 2" journals, 327 being the most famous size.

The 610p buick bearings were used because they are the most narrow, but clevite P series buick are NLA. you can get other TOP QUALITY 2" bearings and narrow them, and doing that would probably the best short of going to subaru.

Porsche bearings are not very good and cost waaay too much.

I figured someone would come through about the Chevy journals.

If journal overlap remained the same, a smaller journal would see less speed, as has already been mentioned.

Main reasons for smaller journals for us is for cam/crank clearance.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

Ok, back... So both are equally as strong pertaining to the Buick and VW Journals for 7,200-7.500 RPMs on a Daily Driver, 4340 Chromoly Forged Crank?

Yea, looking into what needs "Special" attention for a 2180 that will be for some serious street use. But will be a Daily Driver plus see Highway Speed Zones of 70mph... RB
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

If I had to build my 2180 from fresh parts again.
I'd select the Buick rod journal option.
I had to order a special billet Webcam 86b. So I could get the rods to clear.
With the Buick journals there would have been less clearancing involved.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

I would choose the stronger crank option. VW journals.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

Gotcha, I am planning on a FK 8 Cam for I like to run Mahle Pistons as well to see the 7,000 RPMs+ range. Now is that doable with the VW Journal? RB
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:
Gotcha, I am planning on a FK 8 Cam for I like to run Mahle Pistons as well to see the 7,000 RPMs+ range. Now is that doable with the VW Journal? RB

Yes, the stronger the crank the longer the line bore will last. Making it all clear is no big deal. Use rods with bolts that screw into the cap.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

One perk of chevy journals, you can go 84 stroke and with H-Beams you dont have to do any cam clearancing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

84 stroke without clearancing the cam?

I wouldn't say that's true with the different rods available.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

Type 5 Joe wrote:
84 stroke without clearancing the cam?

I wouldn't say that's true with the different rods available.

Might not with I beams. But I have done it with space leftover with H-beams.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

The last 84mm stroke Type I engine I built had Chevy (Buick) rod journals, CB 4340 Crank / CB H-Beam rods... I had to clearance the cam.

How much room did you have for clearance between the crank / rods / cam?

What parts did you use?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

Let talk 82 Crank, since I am there.. RB
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

Type 5 Joe wrote:
The last 84mm stroke Type I engine I built had Chevy (Buick) rod journals, CB 4340 Crank / CB H-Beam rods... I had to clearance the cam.

How much room did you have for clearance between the crank / rods / cam?

What parts did you use?

I have a engine about ready for dyno that is 84 stroke china crank and 5.5 china H beams. The gaps in clearance were large enuff there was no point in measuring. It spins perfectly of course with a un clearanced cb cam.

Maybe something is different about yours, sorry about that, I do believe you though.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

This engine I did actually made contact....

I like to have a minimum .050" - .060" clearance everywhere that the internals swing... .045" min for deck height.

That way if you lose a rod bearing, it doesn't make contact anywhere until it can get shut down.

bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

RailBoy wrote:

Mahles are heavy, so you use the VW journal. If you use something lighter, you can opt for a Chevy. The more reciprocating mass, the bigger the flexing problem becomes.
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Journals-Comparisons-Perks and Trade-Offs.. Reply with quote

Way back I used to run VW journal 82 stroke and 5.5 VW H beams and cleared E130 cam and case and got 100,000 miles on crank and was still good. In the mid 70s we even used straight 30wt oil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: