Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy Kitchen Refurb WWYD
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Kitchen Refurb WWYD Reply with quote

I couldn't find any pics of mine, but here is a thread that covers the mod:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318998

It just holds the rear table more stable in a raised position. I had some galvanized pipe from an old shower curtain rod or something which fit nicely inside of the leg and the base bracket similar to Jon Slider's plastic pipe version. IIRC I used a plastic handle sleeve from an old rake as a shim to get a better fit to the inner diameter of the leg.

The design changed a little over the years so you have to adapt the solution to the style you have.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
hkunstmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Kitchen Refurb WWYD Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm interested in knowing more about the lift your Westy is on. I've been looking for one for sometime now. Can you please provide me details of Make, model, price and where to purchase. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Harald
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Kitchen Refurb WWYD Reply with quote

hkunstmann wrote:
Hello,

I'm interested in knowing more about the lift your Westy is on. I've been looking for one for sometime now. Can you please provide me details of Make, model, price and where to purchase. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Harald

Its a Bendpak HD-7W 7000 lb. 4 post lift. This is an extra wide and extra tall lift.

It runs about $3,600, with another $900 to install. I bought drip trays and a rolling bridge jack so that I could lift each axle off the ramps to do wheel/suspension work which was $1300. You need a compressed air system to run the safety locks and bridge jack.

With the Westy you need high ceilings to park other cars underneath. I have 14' ceilings and can get 6' clear under the vehicle.

Tons of other lift manufacturers but I felt better with a commercial rated lift.
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Kitchen Refurb WWYD Reply with quote

Bright crisp Saturday morning and time to get the rebuild underway. As always I have a fresh cup of coffee, my bentley and my laptop open to the samba for help and advice:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ordered all of my replacement parts but only received my rust treatment and FatMat and had my new outlet boxes already. Missing all of the utility hoses and fridge upgrade parts so I wont be able to start putting things back together until next weekend.

Trying to get the inside seam rust treated and the sound deadener installed behind the cabinets, and if I have time Ill start the back panel replacement. I have this air tool setup for the prep work:

I always bag and tag all of the parts so I don't lose anything.

Onto the work!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Kitchen Refurb WWYD Reply with quote

Cellardoor, you need a littke bit of messy in your life! ^^^^

I can teach you, drawing upon my vast experience in messy......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Kitchen Refurb WWYD Reply with quote

Dave, you really don't want to go there. I have issues, but my wife thinks I'm a slob. Heres a little sample:

designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Kitchen Refurb WWYD Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Pics or explain?

I love this mod - I think he is talking about this

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318998

Perhaps my favorite mod of all. So convenient. And super easy to do and totally inconspicuous.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy Kitchen Refurb WWYD Reply with quote

Finished for the day. Got the rust cleaned up, encapsulated and seam sealed. Nice little bathtub in the bottom channel.

I even coated the edges of the utility boxes in rust encapsulation material since they had some surface rust. Not going to paint since it will be under the gaskets.

Placed the Fatmat Rattletrap and then put the insulation back with 3M spray adhesive. I'm going to leave the area under the utility boxes and bottom of the panel bare. Not buying into the need for insulation there and don't want anything holding potential moisture.

I'm going to make a new panel for behind the cabinets since I cracked mine and its seen better days. Found tempered hardboard at HD which is the exact same thickness as the original panel and states that its moisture resistant. I'm going to move the vinyl trim from the old panel and paint the rest of the panel almond which is a close match, and almost none of it will show. Doing a paint test to make sure it holds paint well before I make the panel.

cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Westy Kitchen Refurb WWYD Reply with quote

Fabricated my new panel from tempered hardboard using the non resin side out. holds paint better and has a texture similar to the old vinyl. Two coats of primer, two coats of krylon almond, and reattached the vinyl panel:

Came out good and fit like a glove. Put the tank cabinet and utilities back with fresh hoses and the back seat:

Onto the sink cabinet and refrigerator. I blew air down the flue and tons of dust and particles came out. I'm going to take apart the ignitor box and give it a good cleaning while its out and install the upgrade parts and new fan. For the sink I bought the delta faucet and new hoses.

For those of you thinking you can reuse and clean out the hoses, don't.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: