Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding door repair kit ??
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

I took the sliding door off today. I never have really moved it much. It just does not want to move very easily. Is there a all encompassing repair kit somewhere?

OK Ratwell has a nice HT on the sliding door. Looks like I only really have 3 wheels on the 3 touch points of the door.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

usually you can clean up all the parts and tracks. Then replace the rear plastic slide. That combination is the most you can do unless the lower track is rusted thru in which case body work is involved. If you plan on replacing the sliding door seal, now is the time. Make sure you get the right seal, some are sold for Brazilian bays and they fit really poorly.

Clean and lube all mechanisms, and rollers
Clean out lower track under the door area. Sand any rusted areas, prime and paint.
Clean rear track and lubricate
Replace rear plastic slide.
reinstall door and test mechanisms for fit
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
usually you can clean up all the parts and tracks. Then replace the rear plastic slide. That combination is the most you can do unless the lower track is rusted thru in which case body work is involved. If you plan on replacing the sliding door seal, now is the time. Make sure you get the right seal, some are sold for Brazilian bays and they fit really poorly.

Clean out lower track under the door area. Sand any rusted areas, prime and paint.

Thanks.

That is kinda what Ratwell goes thru. That top roller of mine won't even roll. I think my bottom track is solid. Has some surface rust, but I am gonna put a wire brush on it and take your suggestion.

I was really surprised at how easily I got the door out. I had a helper standing by, but only used the wife to brace the door. Window is out and that helped.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

Here's a couple more tutorials you may find helpful:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446743
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=446358

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Thanks.

That is kinda what Ratwell goes thru. That top roller of mine won't even roll. I think my bottom track is solid. Has some surface rust, but I am gonna put a wire brush on it and take your suggestion.

I was really surprised at how easily I got the door out. I had a helper standing by, but only used the wife to brace the door. Window is out and that helped.

top roller - you mean the one that rides in a channel above the door? That is somewhat normal after 40 years of non-maintenance.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

In my experience all the rollers can just be cleaned and lubed to work except the one with the replaceable inner bearing. That’s the one that lives near the nylon block. If that bearing is bad but the outer roller part is good, you can remove a snap ring and just replace the inner bearing. If you need one, PM me and I’ll send one to you. I have about 9in my drawer. They were super cheap on eBay.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
In my experience all the rollers can just be cleaned and lubed to work except the one with the replaceable inner bearing. That’s the one that lives near the nylon block. If that bearing is bad but the outer roller part is good, you can remove a snap ring and just replace the inner bearing. If you need one, PM me and I’ll send one to you. I have about 9in my drawer. They were super cheap on eBay.

All the rollers are off.

Top: cleaned and shaft has been shined

Bottom 2 are off, but they look different than any pix I see. ball bearings inside, but there was no seal on either. You think that is normal? They roll. I am gonna soak them, but I figure with no seal they will pick up some dirt.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the middle wheel that runs in the track is super. spins with ease. THe nylon block is a bit worn, figure I'll get a new one.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

Wonder about these hooks. They really don't want to move. I understand that they hold the door open. Like I mentioned, I have not really moved the door since March. But IIRC, it did hold. Is this spring loaded hook supposed to easily move?

What does the one under this one do?

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

Yes, the seal is a mandatory part of a bearing. I actually have one extra seal, for the horizontal roller if you'd like it for the cost of postage.

Both arms in your picture should be easy to move, under the right conditions. The top arm in your photo is the arm that prevents the door from colliding with the body as you yank it to close the door; it locks the hinge 90° from the car, and doesn't release until the rear roller carriage hits the front stopper bolted to the car. The lower locking lever does the opposite; it holds the carriage to the front of the bus when you unlatch the door so the door can swing wide and clear of the body before the carriage starts to move.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

I don't think I would call that seal or shield "mandatory," I mean what does mandatory even mean here? The seal holds lubricant in, or more importantly keeps contamination out.. so it is for longevity of the bearing itself.
Don't smear grease all over the track like ratwell shows. It is unhelpful.. the rollers don't slide along the track; they are supposed to turn on their bearings. They need to be taken apart and lubed.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

All the shots and part #s i found for the lower wheels show different wheels. One is a solid wheel with a U on in facing up. the other is the sealed bearing one.

Now that mine are off, I am not sure which one faces up and which one faces out? I probably go ahead and replace both with what looks to be the proper ones. All though after soaking in Sili-Kroil all night, they both spin nicely.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

By mandatory, I meant that contamination inside the bearings can lead to failure of the ball cages, which can result in the rollers binding and chewing up the guide tracks. Once the circuits fail and the rollers pop off, the door comes crashing down to the pavement when you pop it open. I’ve seen it twice this year; both were “restored” cars. One roller was full of blast media, the other was full of dirt.

I have found that early early bays have two roller bearings, somewhere in the seventies VW made he horizontal bearing a solid metal roller like the upper roller. Unlubricated I often see those with a hole worn in the top. Note that solid rollers (upper and lower, if late style) must have the felt washer under the rollers that should be oiled at every oil change service.

Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
By mandatory, I meant that contamination inside the bearings can lead to failure of the ball cages, which can result in the rollers binding and chewing up the guide tracks. Once the circuits fail and the rollers pop off, the door comes crashing down to the pavement when you pop it open. I’ve seen it twice this year; both were “restored” cars. One roller was full of blast media, the other was full of dirt.

I have found that early early bays have two roller bearings, somewhere in the seventies VW made he horizontal bearing a solid metal roller like the upper roller. Unlibricated I often see those with a hole worn in the top. Note that solid rollers (upper and lower, if late style) must have the felt washer under the rollers that should be oiled at every oil change service.

Robbie

So since my lower rollers are (maybe formerly) sealed bearings, I need to replace with the same? Both lower posts have a groove for the cir-clip.

It is just not easy to find this type of wheel. Almost looks like I get a better deal, and can find them, if I just buy a new bracket.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

my 1977 has a steel cap roller that sits on a pin and rides in the upper track. The pin should be lubricated and a small amount of a dry lubricant used in the track. The pin is on a bracket that can be adjusted.

The lower bracket has two rollers on it. It is shimmed to adjust the door. The track attracts road sand at times and needs to be cleaned once a year or so.

The rear assembly has a roller and a a nylon block on it. I carefully clean the track out when washing the car and put a little lubricant on it each time after it is cleaned. Otherwise the lubricant used picks up dirt and becomes an abrasive. I've tried it dry but it works better with a little paraffin wax or dry lubricant on it.

Last edited by SGKent on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211843419

this would be a new one.... part # 211 843 419. no seal for the balls. I don't see a cap on their site.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door repair kit ?? Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211843419

this would be a new one.... part # 211 843 419. no seal for the balls. I don't see a cap on their site.

my two bottom 1977 rollers were unsealed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: