Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery? Reply with quote

I tbibk you ard correct. I will know in the am. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stlywo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery? Reply with quote

I think you are right!!

Here’s a close up...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry if I am asking silly questions, I am way over my head with this project...

Thank you!
pbnjimages
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery? Reply with quote

Glad that worked out.

It's a big project, but I don't think you are over your head. I had never done upholstery before, except for pulling some seat covers on and hog ringing them 30 years earlier. Just go slow and take tons of pictures for your reference, and so you can help answer the next persons questions.

BTW, you can tap the hollow dowel out with a small Philips screw driver of you have nothing else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stlywo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery? Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement and also the further instructions, I wasn’t sure how I’d get it out!

Tap, tap, tap... boom, it fell out...

One step closer! Very Happy Slow but steady!

Thank you!!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery? Reply with quote

Ok...I hope these pics help some.

Ok the first part that Pbnjimages described as the "J-hook"....which is the inner plastic/rubber core that is sewn to the top flap of the seat cover that comes down the back right behind the head rest. Here is what it looks like:

Note the "J" hook in the upper right, the squeezable flexible nature of it...though its much harder with age...and note the threads where the cover was sewn to it on the right side.

Here is what it hooks to and where it goes:

Note the flat metal panel with the curled edge on the inside.

This is how the part is applied once the fabric is sewn to it.

Ok...the vertical part on each side...the "bullnose". I was not quite accurate from memory in its shape...but close! Very Happy

The seat cover comes from the top left hand side.....wraps around the 6:00 position and you can see the threads where it was sewn at about 1:00 position.

This is standing behind the seat...this would be the orientation of the part when installed.

So...like the J-hook...you pull the cover backwards toward the back seat stretching it. Then hook the inside first all along the edge from top to bottom.....

Then.....do not fight it. Put your fingertips just on the inner side of the bull nose and PULL outward hard.....

and it will deform the plastic and it will pop over the tabs. Then you can slide it up and down to get it in the right position.

Ray
Stlywo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery? Reply with quote

These photos and instruction are amazingly helpful! Thanks for the thought and care you put into the reply! And sorry for the delay, had to move the seat out of the middle of my living room for some visitors and was able to return to it this weekend!

Very helpful to see everything laid out with the arrows. Pleased to report I am now 2/3rds of the way there. Have been able to get both sides off but the part along the top has me downright stumped still. It seems as if it won’t be a problem to just keep it attached while restoring the rest- as it’s not really in the way!

I’ll post photos as I progress, slowly but surely! Fingers crossed I can get it all back together!

Thanks again, really appreciate the thorough guidance and support!

Stacey!
Stlywo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery? Reply with quote

Still plugging away at this, believe it or not. Slowly but surely!

Almost ready to reassemble everything (have taken pictures throughout and plan to post a complete entry on the process, when finished!) but have one quick question...

I’m having trouble with the J-hook on the bottom part of the seat! Is there a special tool for reattaching the J-hook to the bar?! I cannot seem to pull it over and get it to stay put! Any ideas?! Thanks!

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery? Reply with quote

Stlywo wrote:
Still plugging away at this, believe it or not. Slowly but surely!

Almost ready to reassemble everything (have taken pictures throughout and plan to post a complete entry on the process, when finished!) but have one quick question...

I’m having trouble with the J-hook on the bottom part of the seat! Is there a special tool for reattaching the J-hook to the bar?! I cannot seem to pull it over and get it to stay put! Any ideas?! Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in reply! Excellent work!

I will get by my storage unit to look at the J-hook today if you still need the information.
Ray
Stlywo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery? Reply with quote

Yes! Still looking to find a way to attach it! No rush on getting over to your storage unit, whenever you have a chance! On the home stretch here, then just have to put all the pieces together! Very Happy Slow but steady! Very Happy
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery? Reply with quote

My apologies!. I have been traveling a lot. I will get pictures in the am. Ray
Stlywo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholstering 412 seats - how to remove seat back upholstery? Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I got the seat back together and it is looking great! I’m about to start tackling the other one soon, hoping #2 will be a lot smooth now that I’ve been through this once. I’m planning to do it with a friend and we are going to document the endeavor, so the few out there who may want to follow suit at least have a few more bread crumbs to follow! Thanks again for the couple of folks who provided guidance, couldn’t have done it without your help and input.

Also, I’m moving the UK at the end of August and will need to find my 412 a nice new home. Anyone on this thread interested or know anyone in the market? Want her to end up in good hands.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: