Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

Hi,

I have my 2276, cb 2289 cam engine out of my car.
I have taken the rocker ramps of and checked the contact zone with my GB 369T lashcaps.

On cylinder 3-4, they are quite smooth. 1-2 cylinder side is different and I don’t know if I should just try to polish the wearing marks.

When setting valve play I did not have to adjust it due to excessive play.

I wonder if this wearing could have happened due to the engine reving to low when adjusting my carbs.

I have CB650 springs, tools steel lifters and dual tapered aluminium pushrods.

What do you think, should I change the rockers/caps?

Thanks,

Phil

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

What RPM do you have the idle set at?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

Not enough oil?
Perhaps you can groove/drill the rockers to get some oil out there.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

Rocker float? I know someone that had 650s and those aluminum pushrods, and they had horrible flexing. He had to switch to a thick chromoly pushrod. You can check for rubbing. Maybe start there.
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

I would install lash caps. I've used them on my 1.4s and no wear. And recheck the geometry, the lash caps change that.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

Because of clockwise crank rotation the 3-4 side gets more oil from the oil whipping effect. If CB dual tapered PR's are used I would put in something more robust. 650's are stout springs and will take their toll on your valve train. Some better choices below.

Dan

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2083200

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2159797
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Because of clockwise crank rotation the 3-4 side gets more oil from the oil whipping effect.

That is the biggest myth of them all. The 3/4 side rockers gets more oil because the main oil passage is in the left case half. The 3/4 side lifters get oil from 2 places from the main oil passage in the left side case half. Oil goes to the 3/4 side lifters first and then through the center cam bearing saddle into the 1/2 side lifters and then the 1/2 side rocker arms which get a lot less oil than the other side. Look for yourself at how the oil passages are drilled in the case and the path the oil takes to get to the 1/2 side lifters and rockers. Bob Hoover explains this on his blog.

With CB 650 springs I would personally set the idle RPM at 1000 so the rockers get enough oil.
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock PRs is want I using and no flex. Try call him. Him nice guy.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

Idle is set at 1200 rpm. However when adjusting my carbs I ran it at lower rews (500 rpm-800 rpm).

Could this wear come from a wrong geometry ? or does it look normal ? The rocker on the last picture is the "worst". You can clearly see that the lash cap has left a mark on it.

Do you think that my rockers are still usable ? Could I smooth out irregularities with grit paper going from coarse to very fine grade ?

GB do not have currently these taller lash caps (for titanium valve stems) that I have used to correct my geometry. I think they are from Del West. Any source other than GB ?
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

Hi Phil, here are 8mm valve stem lash caps available at Summit, maybe some have the thickness you're searching for Wink

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/part-type/...4294918244

Vince

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

Hi Vince,

Good to see you are still into Aircooled VW's Very Happy .

How's the van doing?

Thanks for the link. But none have the thickness I need which amounts to 0.131'.

What is your view on my rockers tips ?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

There's a special set-up to resurface rockers like that and keep the right radius, the question is how were they hardened, and will you hurt it. I think the whole tip is hardened, but the surface might be harder, it's the first place to get quenched.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

As Dave pointed out, it looks like you have an oiling problem, not a geometry problem. Wiping rockers don't have any oil delivery through the adjuster. And, if it was a geometry problem it would also show up on the other side. You need t get more oil up to that head and possibly drill holes in the pushrods to spray oil onto the top end.

I'm running CB non-tapered pushrods with CB650 springs and only did so after talking with CB and them confirming that I would have no problems with flex with a Web 251 and those springs. Like you I also have tool steel lifters. Your tapered pushrods are even more resistant to flex than mine.

brad
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

did you do the oiling mods to the case to get full time oil to the heads? it does look like oil to me not rpm related. the guides in that head are probably dead by now also. I like the scat lash caps best. and dont use tight fitting lash caps...was it assembled dry? it's always a goood idea to use a little moly lube and a drop of oil on those. I drill my rockers for oiling there.and slot the bushing around the loaded half of the bushing from the oil hole to the new oil hole in a S or C pattern. that looks like it was dry and crap lash caps used along with not enough oil. many years ago cb had a shit batch of lashcaps that could do that(over 12 years ago/I dont know for how long till they were corrected)( lash caps are about the only cb product I dont like). I doubt it was a heet treet issue with the rockers.
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

The case does not have the oiling mod.

Lash caps are from Gene Berg.

Do you think my rockers are still usable?

Mark, what are the symptoms of shot valve guides?
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

I had a set of CB 1.3s do the same thing. Couldn't figure it out. Installed Scat 1.25s ........smooth as silk after 1700 miles. No other changes were made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:
Because of clockwise crank rotation the 3-4 side gets more oil from the oil whipping effect.

That is the biggest myth of them all. The 3/4 side rockers gets more oil because the main oil passage is in the left case half. The 3/4 side lifters get oil from 2 places from the main oil passage in the left side case half. Oil goes to the 3/4 side lifters first and then through the center cam bearing saddle into the 1/2 side lifters and then the 1/2 side rocker arms which get a lot less oil than the other side. Look for yourself at how the oil passages are drilled in the case and the path the oil takes to get to the 1/2 side lifters and rockers. Bob Hoover explains this on his blog.

With CB 650 springs I would personally set the idle RPM at 1000 so the rockers get enough oil.

I have studied it and I am not so sure you are right. Yes the grooves around the center cam brg saddle are a restriction compared to the main galley case half. The main reason I think that is not the problem is my experience with my 356 engine. The oil transfer on that engine is done thru the engine case thru bolt and the flow area is quite large compared to the type one.

The 356 engine stock has vents in both valve covers and I have never had a problem with the cover filling up and spewing oil out the vents until I swapped out the windage PR tubes to ones without the extensions. Yes then the left side cover started spewing out oil to the point that I had to seal the left one but not the right one. I could be wrong about this because I have no way to crawl inside the engine when it's at 6500 RPM and see what happening. My guess is without windage tubes it's now it easier for whipped oil to be pushed into the tubes at high revs. The valve cover only leaked when I pushed the engine Hard.

When the cover starts to fill up everything gets a ton of oil.

Dan
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

Also those rockers do not look like my newer ones with the hardened black tips and they are shaped differently. How old are they?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

I thought they didn’t make windage tubes anymore??

What’s That Noise?!?
1950split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: CB 1.4 ratio rockers wear Reply with quote

Dan,

The rockers used for this engine are CB 1.4’s and are about 9 years old. However the engine was used on for a few months before the car was stored.

It seems that in 2015 CB started production of new 1.4 rockers according to their website.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: