Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsimek2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

I have a 1965 VW Type 1.

I have a stuck Engine Control Valve Plunger.

I am not sure how I can get it out. All the things I did ended up scoring the tunnel.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

I assume you're talking about the oil pressure/cooler control valve?

Well, There is a special tool sold in VW places, or some do it successfully with a wooden dowel, or you can tap and thread the bottom. Why is the oil channel getting damaged?

It's entirely possible that I've completely misunderstood your question, though.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

Leave the spring out and start it for a second. It may dislodge itself. Only for a quick amount of time. If it dislodges you wont have oil pressure.
tsimek2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:

Well, There is a special tool sold in VW places, or some do it successfully with a wooden dowel, or you can tap and thread the bottom. Why is the oil channel getting damaged?

It's entirely possible that I've completely misunderstood your question, though.

You are correct. It's the oil cooler control valve.

It's getting damaged, because I have been using a flat head to take it out and it slips down the channel scoring it.

How would you do it with a wooden dowel?

Thank you,

Tom
tsimek2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Leave the spring out and start it for a second. It may dislodge itself. Only for a quick amount of time. If it dislodges you wont have oil pressure.

I'm rebuilding this engine. It's nowhere near being able to start. I'm essentially putting all new components to a shell.

Thank you,

Tom
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

I guess the idea with the wooden dowel (I've never done it myself) is to whittle down the diameter so it's a very tight fit, maybe a chamfer to help it in. Then wedge it into the plunger, the wedge needs to be stronger than the plunger's resistance.

Maybe substitute the oil pressure with compressed air? Not sure how assembled/disassembled this engine is.
evolks13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

Try a drill bit or tap that’s close to the same size and see if you can get it to bite.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

If apart use compressed air
Dangermouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tsimek2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

Dangermouse wrote:

The plunger is 4-5 inches into the channel. My taps aren't that long.

This is great to know though.

Thank you.
tsimek2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

evolks13 wrote:
Try a drill bit or tap that’s close to the same size and see if you can get it to bite.

Thank you.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:

I suspected that too when I first read this, but I typically do not respond when I cannot understand the post. I had never heard the term "Engine Control Valve" in 45 years with these VWs.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

A 12 point socket on a short extension will fit on the square tang of an M12 tap.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

I've always thought that the bottom should be tapped for a bolt from the factory. This way, there would be no mysterys, or special tool needed to get it out.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I've always thought that the bottom should be tapped for a bolt from the factory. This way, there would be no mysterys, or special tool needed to get it out.

Yes, and a great idea to tap it before installing it in our engines!
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

What I have done for almost 40 years with these...

I have a few large good quality screwdrivers that are used for the tin screws... These are larger than most you'll see or buy in a set.

I custom ground 1 on the sides so it can be driven into the bottom of the plunger and grabs it firmly with a good interference fit.

I have always been able to retrieve any plunger out of a case... The stuck ones usually have some corrosion built up around them. A little W-D40 and some patience + a back-and-forth twisting action will free them.

-And no, this has never damaged or deformed any of the plungers or damage the plunger bore in any way.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

^^^^^^^
When I worked in a VW shop a big screwdriver was the only thing we used.
They pop right out.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

Just put a tap on an extension, thread it and pull. Works 99.9% of the time....

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

FWIW - here's a photo of one instance where I put a M12 tap into a stuck plunger, prior to grabbing onto it with a vice grip and yanking it out:

M12x1.75 tap:

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Plunger for Engine Control Valve Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
FreeBug wrote:

I suspected that too when I first read this, but I typically do not respond when I cannot understand the post. I had never heard the term "Engine Control Valve" in 45 years with these VWs.

I think "engine control valve" is the exhaust valve. If it drops, it takes control of your engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: