Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front stock suspension.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Quick bit of background...
Me:
I have some idea what I'm doing and have successfully worked on and set up many, many buses suspension. Hell, I'd even do it without being asked if it was horrendous and I became a bit of a camber setting maniac after discovering so many bus lowerers didn't bother, couldn't do it or simply didn't know it needed more than aligning the notch to the centre. But not just lowered buses. To be honest in 8 years I did this full time I never found a bus I checked where the nuts weren't simply centred after ball joint replacement or other work up front.

So, I have camber gauges, tracking gauges, tools and half an idea. But nowhere to comfortably work.

My current bus pulls slightly left (we drive on the left here) and drives like a boat in a gale in any kind of wind. There's no slop, all new wheel bearings, idler bushes, trackrod ends, ball joints, box centred etc etc. There are no sloppy parts, the geometry is spot on BUT to get left wheel camber correct I have to adjust the nut fully to one side which seems to point at a bent arm?

It's not a case of "that's what they're like". I'm not a believer of that anyway but this is the worst and the only one out of scores, maybe over 100 that I haven't been able to make drive properly. Typical that it would be my own!

From experience it feels like camber imbalance but I'm satisfied that it's correct at rest. Passengers (one anyway) squeeked a bit when I turned right, saying it leaned too much but I don't percieve that myself...I think I would but never say never...

I use it to pick up bags of smokeless, up to 200kg sometimes, all in the passenger footwell and seat because the rear is my winter shed and rammed. So I know the more weight, the worse it is.

That's the background and as many clues as I can think of. Not wanting to do "the job" twice in a stoney unlevel car park I'm trying to figure what to try. Seems like the leaning could be a snapped leaf or three? Seems like the weight making it worse could be same and/or a bent trailing arm? Whatever, I'm sure it's something bent or broken and not adjustment.

I think you'd have to slide sideways into a kerbstone pretty fast to bend a trailing arm? I've seen rear diagonal arms bent where they enter the hub casting after doing this but not the front.

Plan is to inspect the leaves and replace if needed. If no broken springs replace the trailing arms, but I want to do this all in one hit so I'm gathering used parts.

Trailing arms it's hard to judge other than inspecting the bearing surfaces.

Leaf springs: I'm feeling cautious about fitting pre-loved springs the wrong way round as it were so I'd have to get them from a beam myself and keep left/right as previously fitted. My imagination says 40 years of twisting one way could snap if fitted the other way. Am I right? I don't want to spend on new because they might not be broken.

Any other ideas, however off the wall appreciated, I've periodically banged my head against this for three years. Yeah, I know, take it apart and inspect, get what's needed and reassemble. Not going to go down well in the fancy marina car park, I need it done and dusted in one hit to avoid falling out with the management here where I live on my boat.

Thanks for reading.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not a case of "that's what they're like". I'm not a believer of that

I agree.

Sorry to hear about your predicament. All air-cooled VWs specify alignment settings for an empty car with a half tank of fuel, and a little weight in the drivers seat. (Something like 75 pounds…) If you have more than this, your suspension WILL change. It has to. So without setting your alignment with the car empty, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle.

What speeds does it pull curbside? If you find an abandoned stretch of road to drive on the Yankee side for a bit, does it change? Most roads are convex (domed) to prevent water pooling up on the road surface.

How old are your new tie rods and ball joints? Expect about 300-500 miles of stiff steering before the ball joints loosen up to allow pleasant driving.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

I have learned to never set the camber such that the mark on the eccentric is more than 45° from center and if that doesn't give you book spec to make the camber for the other side match even if that side too is out of spec. You gain very little extra camber by turning the eccentric past 45° while losing lots of caster. While I have never owned a factory new ACVW I have owned low mileage ones and most seem to defy having the caster in spec on both sides.

Yes do not swap the sides of the torsion bars as that can increase the fatigue occurring in the metal of the bars. The rear bars are likely prestressed at the factory to work on only one side, while I don't know for sure about the front leaves are prestressed, once they have been loaded in one direction for millions of cycles it would be a good policy to keep them on the same side.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Quote:
It's not a case of "that's what they're like". I'm not a believer of that

I agree.

Sorry to hear about your predicament. All air-cooled VWs specify alignment settings for an empty car with a half tank of fuel, and a little weight in the drivers seat. (Something like 75 pounds…) If you have more than this, your suspension WILL change. It has to. So without setting your alignment with the car empty, you're going to be fighting an uphill battle.

What speeds does it pull curbside? If you find an abandoned stretch of road to drive on the Yankee side for a bit, does it change? Most roads are convex (domed) to prevent water pooling up on the road surface.

How old are your new tie rods and ball joints? Expect about 300-500 miles of stiff steering before the ball joints loosen up to allow pleasant driving.

Robbie
Thanks for your reply. It's been set up empty apart from the camping interior and er lots of times with differing amounts of clobber in the back too, it seems to make no difference.

Yes to road camber, it follows the normal camber to left and on a flat motorway barely pulls. It's worst at lower speeds also though I haven't tried doing 30mph on the motorway for obvious reasons.

All the replacement steering parts I fitted myself 3 years and 12-15000 miles ago, no problem with stiff joints but I have had that problem previously so I understand what you're suggesting. That one would do circuits of s roundabout with no hands and never loosened up. Eventually after it finished off the peg type steering box I did a late box conversion and fitted the cheapest ball joints I could find and it loosened up in 10 miles. I would go as far as saying slop barely matters if the geometry is correct. That bus I could happily let go at 60mph.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I have learned to never set the camber such that the mark on the eccentric is more than 45° from center and if that doesn't give you book spec to make the camber for the other side match even if that side too is out of spec. You gain very little extra camber by turning the eccentric past 45° while losing lots of caster. While I have never owned a factory new ACVW I have owned low mileage ones and most seem to defy having the caster in spec on both sides.

Yes do not swap the sides of the torsion bars as that can increase the fatigue occurring in the metal of the bars. The rear bars are likely prestressed at the factory to work on only one side, while I don't know for sure about the front leaves are prestressed, once they have been loaded in one direction for millions of cycles it would be a good policy to keep them on the same side.
Good call on the camber/caster. I've tried zero camber, book camber and 1 deg which is as much as I can get. The nuts aren't fully 90 degs but to get 1 degree they were. BUT each time I'll have had more caster on one side than the other so maybe...I should just point the damn notches in the centre and try that! That would hurt my pride if it worked...

I've even parked on a busy (with pedestrians) flat bit of hard standing where they crane boats in and done a poll of passers by asking if they thought the wheel camber looked different on each side (it's surprising what you can see by eye) and if so to describe it. Inconclusive but I was getting desperate!
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

All tyres were new also 3 years ago, good quality van rated stock tyres. I swapped front/rear wheels and tyres last year just to see and no difference. I can't detect any odd tyre wear.

It feels kind of slippery sometimes making small steering adjustments at 30-40mph if the road is greasy, feels like overinflated tyres but they are at 32psi now and previously at 30psi no different. No difference in the cold season when they tend to loose a few psi before I correct them.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:

I've even parked on a busy (with pedestrians) flat bit of hard standing where they crane boats in and done a poll of passers by asking if they thought the wheel camber looked different on each side (it's surprising what you can see by eye) and if so to describe it. Inconclusive but I was getting desperate!

Laughing Fantastic. I’d love to have seen that. Where is your Marina? Must be cold right now on a boat.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Having done thousands of alignments a few decades ago, I can tell you it's rare that camber will cause a pull. 95% of the time it the caster causing it. What is the difference in caster side to side? I recall 1/2° was the most our shop would allow side to side.

The second biggest cause of a car pulling to one side or the other was a tire. You should jack your VW up and swap the front tires side to side. Does it still pull the same direction? I had so many customer bringing in their car with a pull to one side or the other and automatically "ass/u/me" it was the alignment being off. I'd put the car on the alignment rack and do a quick alignment check. If the alignment was close, I'd swap the front tires side to side. The vehicle would then either drive straight or pull to the other side now.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Zed999 wrote:

Laughing Fantastic. I’d love to have seen that. Where is your Marina? Must be cold right now on a boat.
UK Lancashire. No, not at all cold. I have diesel central heating and hot water, a multifuel stove, elec hot water, engine heated hot water, full size cooker, fridge, washer/drier - all mod cons. And I get to live in places that I couldn't afford to live in a house and can move house by untying two ropes and starting the engine. Win, win!
We have narrow canals here and steel narrowboats. Mine's 60ft x 7ft.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Having done thousands of alignments a few decades ago, I can tell you it's rare that camber will cause a pull. 95% of the time it the caster causing it. What is the difference in caster side to side? I recall 1/2° was the most our shop would allow side to side.

I respectfully disagree. Many years ago when I could earn more than a garage could charge me in the same time I had my then bus lowered a couple of inches. The thing was dangerously undriveable and I wanted to sell it. I couldn't sell it like it was, I'm a nice guy. The lowerer claimed he couldn't find anything wrong so I set about it myself. What I found was the left side had +ve camber and the right -ve. The symptoms were that it pulled to the left so naturally I would steer into the pull to go straight. With a bit of cross wind I had to pull into that too. But there was a point that a tiny bit more pulling would suddenly have it kind of grab and shoot across the road to the right into the oncoming traffic. I got a cheap digital inclinometer, set the camber to spec and the problem completely disappeared.

Caster ... I'm listening but how can I measure this? And If I could, how can I adjust it? I don't know of a way other than the eccentric camber nuts. I'm ready to accept than something is causing me to have differing caster each side in order to get the camber to spec but 1/2"? I can't see it being that far out but I sure would be happier if each side was the same so I'm back to working out just why I have to adjust the left side "too much".
Quote:

The second biggest cause of a car pulling to one side or the other was a tire. You should jack your VW up and swap the front tires side to side. Does it still pull the same direction? I had so many customer bringing in their car with a pull to one side or the other and automatically "ass/u/me" it was the alignment being off. I'd put the car on the alignment rack and do a quick alignment check. If the alignment was close, I'd swap the front tires side to side. The vehicle would then either drive straight or pull to the other side now.

I've done the same myself to customers vans, checked alignment, still pulls, new tyres - sorted. I've swapped mine front to rear then side to side and it made no difference. When all the tyres were spanking new and geometry bang on it was just as bad.

Anyone reading who has driven a van with busted springs - I'd be very interested to hear what it was like to drive though TBH I can't see how this would cause the camber nut to need setting differently. The arms are all seated on the springs with the pinch bolts happily home in the centre of the dimples in the spring bundles, I've carefully checked that and that the arms all appear to be sticking out of the beam the same amount.

I've located a fresh set of arms and springs and busy negotiating so I guess I may have the answer soon enough, or at least will be able to rule out springs and arms.

Rear got new donuts and went back together as was, it's not lowered. Rear tracking is correct and a 4m straightedge used to get the pair of wheels pointing straight as best I could. I hoped a 4 wheel laser alignment might yield some info but tried 2 places who came up with totally different numbers. Neither agreed with my dunlop tracking gauges. Jeez!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

you need a 100% level pad to adjust camber or caster beyond 'about right'. Caster in a VW bus is pretty well determined by the suspension and beam mounting points. I guess you could slot the frame but that brings its own issues. Camber can be set with a simple bubble gauge but again, without a perfectly level pad the results will be approximate. Rear toe can be set with a long piece of string and tape measure. One can use a track bar but the toe has to be equal on both sides from the center line of the car. As to camber causing pulling, yes it can but it takes a significant difference between sides to do so. I set my own toe using a track gauge but there is a guy downtown who does old time cars for a living using tape measures, bubble gauges, and bars. He has a perfectly level rack, and his price is so reasonable it isn't worth screwing with it myself. Also Larry will let me stand by and over see the work. I have more faith in him than modern racks with lasers etc. Also, and this is a big also, everyone here should be periodically inspecting and measuring the tread wear on their tires. That will give them more information on what is going on with their bus suspension and tire pressures than any instrument. FWIW all the fine tuning at the track we used to do was relying on tire wear and a pyrometer.

http://www.warrenbrake.com/Warren_Brake_and_Suspension/Welcome.html
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, and this is a big also, everyone here should be periodically inspecting and measuring the tread wear on their tires.

Everytime I see a post with "Why are my tires wearing funny" and a picture of an unsafe tire I push the "Slap in the face over the internet " button

Would you reward someone for walking through the mall pointing/shooting an unloaded gun? Thats what you do driving on unsafe tires, endangering others.

<include == stdio.h #rantoff>
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
you need a 100% level pad to adjust camber or caster beyond 'about right'. Caster in a VW bus is pretty well determined by the suspension and beam mounting points. I guess you could slot the frame but that brings its own issues. Camber can be set with a simple bubble gauge but again, without a perfectly level pad the results will be approximate. Rear toe can be set with a long piece of string and tape measure. One can use a track bar but the toe has to be equal on both sides from the center line of the car. As to camber causing pulling, yes it can but it takes a significant difference between sides to do so. I set my own toe using a track gauge but there is a guy downtown who does old time cars for a living using tape measures, bubble gauges, and bars. He has a perfectly level rack, and his price is so reasonable it isn't worth screwing with it myself. Also Larry will let me stand by and over see the work. I have more faith in him than modern racks with lasers etc. Also, and this is a big also, everyone here should be periodically inspecting and measuring the tread wear on their tires. That will give them more information on what is going on with their bus suspension and tire pressures than any instrument. FWIW all the fine tuning at the track we used to do was relying on tire wear and a pyrometer.

Big yes to all of that sir. When I originally set it, it was in my paint shop. The floor is almost flat but I had some 2mm lino floor tiles and a 3m builders spirit level to get 4 pads exactly level. New tyres at correct pressures etc. I passed my annual MOT test* yesterday and was begging the tester to find fault.

*Legally, due to it's age, I can elect not to have this test and self certify the van's roadworthy condition but my view is that it's the best £40 you can spend at a garage so I volunteered. It's also a good kick up the behind to sort stuff one might be tempted to put off if so inclined (it's cold here!). Other than a split wiper blade I got a clean bill of health, I take great pride in my camper, it gets what it needs and then some more.

One thing - apparently my van loaded with crap weighs 2,000kg on his Ministry of Transport certified ramp. Oops, time to unload a few things, I thought it was a bit slow lately! This isn't helping the situation obviously.

Keep 'em coming
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Big yes to all of that sir. When I originally set it, it was in my paint shop. The floor is almost flat but I had some 2mm lino floor tiles and a 3m builders spirit level to get 4 pads exactly level. New tyres at correct pressures etc. I passed my annual MOT test* yesterday and was begging the tester to find fault.

*Legally, due to it's age, I can elect not to have this test and self certify the van's roadworthy condition but my view is that it's the best £40 you can spend at a garage so I volunteered. It's also a good kick up the behind to sort stuff one might be tempted to put off if so inclined (it's cold here!). Other than a split wiper blade I got a clean bill of health, I take great pride in my camper, it gets what it needs and then some more.

One thing - apparently my van loaded with crap weighs 2,000kg on his Ministry of Transport certified ramp. Oops, time to unload a few things, I thought it was a bit slow lately! This isn't helping the situation obviously.

Keep 'em coming

good job. If you start level, the results are so much more reliable.
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
Not going to go down well in the fancy marina car park, I need it done and dusted in one hit to avoid falling out with the management here where I live on my boat.

Hi, is that Scarisbrick Marina? I only ask because about 8 months ago I was there and saw an Early Bay up a private road. I waved and played the car horns - Colonel Bogie (AKA Bridge over the River Kwai). Was that you? I was in a white and turquoise early bay.

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Jean-Jaques Rousseau
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Small world, not far away. Smile
There are quite a few bay windows in the area but most disappear from view over the winter.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Tommu wrote:

UK Lancashire. No, not at all cold. I have diesel central heating and hot water, a multifuel stove, elec hot water, engine heated hot water, full size cooker, fridge, washer/drier - all mod cons. And I get to live in places that I couldn't afford to live in a house and can move house by untying two ropes and starting the engine. Win, win!
We have narrow canals here and steel narrowboats. Mine's 60ft x 7ft.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh, I remember it being cold! My Grandparents had a narrowboat on the Grand Union, moored in Northampton. Canals are something I miss. Close friends had a houseboat on the Quay at Colchester. I fell off the wall there at low tide one time, into the mud. Happy days Embarassed
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Quote:
my current bus pulls slightly left (we drive on the left here) and drives like a boat in a gale in any kind of wind. There's no slop, all new wheel bearings, idler bushes, trackrod ends, ball joints, box centred etc etc. There are no sloppy parts, the geometry is spot on BUT to get left wheel camber correct I have to adjust the nut fully to one side which seems to point at a bent arm?

It's not a case of "that's what they're like".

The way a car drives in the wind, especially a large profile vehicle like a bus depends a lot on where the wind is coming from. If the wind is from the side there is so much load that you will have to steer a steady into the wind direction to stay in your lane. If the wind is gusty that makes it harder but not unmanageable. The worst wind will be a quartering wind where the gusts come at the vehicle from an angle. That not only buffets the vehicle but also changes the steering direction and bump steer. There is no way a high profile bus is going to drive like a low sports car in a heavy wind. My 1977 does much better in a side wind than my 1971 did but it buffets worse in a quartering or a straight head wind than my 1971 did. Both vehicles had/have perfect suspensions and alignment. Wind is really much worse on vehicles than we can imagine. One night many years ago I was driving a 1971 Opel Gt, very low profile vehicle, thru some hills on the 60 freeway in Whittier California. It was pouring rain but since I had good tires I was maintaining 70 MPH easily. As I went thru a cut in the hills, there was a section of freeway where water was flowing across it and the car immediately went into hydroplanning. The wind blew the car like a boat, sideways across three lanes. It was only about 4' from going into the fence at 70 mph, still traveling in a normal direction on the freeway, when the car left the area that water was puddling and I was able to regain control over the wind. VW buses just require extra effort when in a heavy side or quartering wind. You should try crossing a big bridge in the Pacific Northwest in a VW bus sometime when a 60+ mph wind is trying to blow you off the bridge, and all the big semis are parked because it is too windy for them.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

This is my 5th bus over 20 years and I spent 8 solid years fixing just T2's for a living during which time I drove hundreds. On my country commute I'd amuse myself by getting all 4 wheels off the ground at 70mph if the road was deserted which it normally was. Buses inherently drive superbly at speed over rough roads, it's one of the big pluses for me and only the self emptying cupboards slow me down.

But this bus has a problem that is not born of expecting it to drive like a car or naive driving expectations. We have windy bridges in the UK too where peoples poptops have been known to blow right off and disappear over the side. I still drive it at 70mph if the wind isn't sideways but there IS something wrong with it.

I've located several sets of springs, I think most likely a combination of that plus my oveoading habit are to blame. Fingers crossed.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Front stock suspension. Reply with quote

Other than the early bay steering box getting stiffer when overloaded, I’ve found excess wait to be borderline undetectable in the handling department. These cars do so well with loads between the axles that I almost prefer to drive mine fully loaded.

That being said, what tires are you running? What pressures are you running them at? I under-inflated my fronts last week and found the car very darty, as if it had too much toe out.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: