Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

worth of 71' vw bus - help!
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pineapplejellybeans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

Hi all,
sad story, a sprinter van rammed me in my 71 vw bus from behind going up the grapevine in California at about 80-100mph.
she flew across 2 lanes and landed on 2 side wheels, almost flipped, but i was able to to gain control and let it keep teeter tottering back and forth till it leveled out. Thankfully everyones mostly okay for the most part aside from some crazy whiplash and internal muscle pain and such.
Anywho, i'm getting my bus appraised from my insurance AAA, it may be a total loss, but so far, they've only quoted me at $13,300 for the worth. I feel that my bus has to be worth between $20-25k (edit)
Does anyone know how this process works or how to prove that it's worth more?

here's some photos
https://www.instagram.com/gertrudethemysterymachine/

She had a little nose dent damage prior to the crash.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gertrude has been from Southern California up the west coast and to NYC and back again with relatively no issues, no rust. basically lived in the van off and on for 3 years across the country, and has done pretty great.
REbuilt engine from 2013. Get's checked up regularly. Have all original interior cabinetry. and nice side panels and flooring, & a full size roof rack. All in all , a really solid bus.

Curious on everyones thoughts or advice. Smile thank you.

Last edited by pineapplejellybeans on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

I'd check Samba classifieds for a similar Bus, maybe craigslist, too.
Hard to find a running, non-rust-ridden Bus for much under $20K, up from there depending on condition.
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

For a baywindow bus to be worth $20k+ they usually have to be in pretty immaculate restored condition and usually kept pretty original looking. In my opinion, from looking at your instagram pics, your bus is not in that category. Your bus is a 71 but has a 73 and up nose on it, nor a factory color scheme. That's the first 2 glaring things that jumped out at me that are working against you. I'd say anywhere from $9k - $15K would be about right. You should post this in the baywindow bus forum and see what the general consensus is . Good luck.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

Lawyer up, quit talking to the insurance company, get an appraisal from an independent specialty car appraiser.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

Don't sign or settle til completely pain free.
Nada Guides says

OriginalMSRP LowRetail AverageRetail HighRetail
$2,720 $7,800 $15,500 $32,200

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Lawyer up, quit talking to the insurance company, get an appraisal from an independent specialty car appraiser.

Oh yes, please do this asap. (Note: in many ways I HATE attorneys, but...)
I have negotiated well on property damage claims, but personal injury? Find yourself the best, well reviewed and aggressive representative you can locate. Let the snapping dog deal with insurance. And on your side? Treat, treat and treat. My neck still hurts 3.5 years after being rear ended by an F-250 while I was driving our Prius. I should have hired the attorney.

Also note: the insurance company is not your friend. They want to settle as soon as possible for as little money as possible. Do NOT let them dangle settlement money in front of you. I'd wait at least a year before settling on the whiplash issue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

Laughing

if your bus is worth 20-30k with no door panels and no headliner mine must be worth a bunch more.

honestly, from your pic 13k is a gift. not bashing you...but another bus in about that shape can be had for the same or less money.

if you didn't have an agreed value policy...you will be in for a fight.

glad you're ok

EDIT

perhaps you have a headliner....looks like bows to me

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

I agree with their assessment of value for the bus. But like said before- your medical condition has to be restored to A-1 tip-top shape before I'd call it case closed.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
pineapplejellybeans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

thanks y'all.
I'll look for an individual appraiser.
I'm on the road to finding a lawyer and doing all the health things to get better..

but yeah, i won't settle and will fight the good fight.

there's a headliner in there.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

If you do talk to the insurance company, remember that everything that you say is being recorded & that they will try to sound sympathetic & ask you "how are you doing", your response will be used against you at a later date as will any social media that you use. All of your passengers should be advised of the same.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

FWIW, the “settlement” for the value of your vehicle is just that, for your vehicle! Bodily harm is a separate issue! Confused
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: worth of 71' vw bus - help! Reply with quote

pineapplejellybeans wrote:
Hi all,
sad story, a sprinter van rammed me in my 71 vw bus from behind going up the grapevine in California at about 80-100mph.
she flew across 2 lanes and landed on 2 side wheels, almost flipped, but i was able to to gain control and let it keep teeter tottering back and forth till it leveled out. Thankfully everyones mostly okay for the most part aside from some crazy whiplash and internal muscle pain and such.
Anywho, i'm getting my bus appraised from my insurance AAA, it may be a total loss, but so far, they've only quoted me at $13,300 for the worth. I feel that my bus has to be worth between $20-25k (edit)
Does anyone know how this process works or how to prove that it's worth more?

here's some photos
https://www.instagram.com/gertrudethemysterymachine/

She had a little nose dent damage prior to the crash.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gertrude has been from Southern California up the west coast and to NYC and back again with relatively no issues, no rust. basically lived in the van off and on for 3 years across the country, and has done pretty great.
REbuilt engine from 2013. Get's checked up regularly. Have all original interior cabinetry. and nice side panels and flooring, & a full size roof rack. All in all , a really solid bus.

Curious on everyones thoughts or advice. Smile thank you.

Closing speed was maybe 10-15 mph
You were likely going 45 mph to her 60 mph, still real scary
This is what 40 mph looks like in an offset crash.

Link

$13K is a decent settlement for the Bus, if they let you keep it for parts.
Honestly the picture doesn't show that nice of a bus.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: