Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 71 deluxe
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

I'm more of a camper guy but have a thing for Sierra yellow 71's and 72's. When I saw this bus a week or so ago, the owner would not take my offer. I wasn't necessarily looking for a new bus but I liked the look of this one but I didn't want to pay his price. Fast forward to today when he texted me saying an emergency came up and he needed the money. An hour later it was at my house.

It is super dry, except for the left side outer sheet metal. The floors, out riggers, jack points, even battery tray are all rust free. It is very strange to me how the driver side got so rusty but it did. It is a deluxe, has a gas heater, was very complete and the headliner is almost perfect so for whatever reason, I liked it even though I'm not usually a transporter guy.

I'm not sure yet what to do with it and will probably get it registered and get it in better driving condition but would like to fix the rust along the way and see what happens. Maybe I get rid of it, maybe I keep it. Hard to go on cruises with the family in my 63 single cab so maybe they'll grow attached and I'll keep it.

It does run and drive but not great. Clutch needs adjusting and it needs some help in the running nice department. I've only moved it onto the tow truck and then into my driveway. Have not had time to drive it yet.

Anyway. On to questions. Does anyone know of a place I can see a good view of the inner panel on the right rear quarter? Obviously ill have to replace the outer panel and I'm assuming the inner too. Does Gerson (Klassic fab) or any others make a full rear quarter? What about the door skin and middle panel? How are reproduction metal parts these days? Last time I was in the market for these kinds of parts (5 years ago) they were hit or miss. Who makes the best fitting panels?

Also, how can I get the damn flower stickers off without killing the paint?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for listening. Glad to have another project.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Great find! Looks like a solid start. My guess for the rusty drivers side is that it was parked on the street for a few winters. Just a guess though. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Great candidate. Very complete and original. What’s the underside look like?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

The underside is super clean and dry. No rust that I have found in any of the floors. Because of the lack of rust everywhere else, I figured I could fix the left side fairly easily. Lil weld here, weld there. Easy peasy! 😀
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

That's not an easy job and definitely not a first weld job.

Practice on easy stiff first
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

So I’d like to see a close up of the left side you think you need to cut out and weld in a repair. I have a customer right now who bought a 1979 bus last summer. His nose looked very much like your left side until my body man got hold of it.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That's not an easy job and definitely not a first weld job.

Practice on easy stiff first

Won’t be my first. Was being sarcastic. Though not super experienced, I have welded quite a bit and did some extensive rust repair on a splitty.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

My bad. Good luck a don't forget to share the gories... Very Happy
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

I recall checking this guy out through the interwebs, didn't realize it was so far from me. Facebook marketplace is really trying to develop my passion into a condition Laughing

Gotta love the early bay's, round behind, low lights, ride easy. Let's see what you can do, looks like a very solid start, congrats.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miked914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Picked up an Alfa several years ago that looked the same, only on the passenger side. Turns out, it was parked next to the guys house and got sprayed with lawn sprinklers for 10 years! You could try a heat gun to remove flowers. However, there will probably be a nice shinny flower spot under the sticker. Cool
'73 TinTop Westy
'13 VW Sportwagon TDI
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Great acquisition, congratulations!

Man, I swear I'm going to end up with a second early Bay one day. I'm more of a camper too and love my '69 Westy. But every time I see an early slick top I think "one day"....

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Some progress.

I figure this bus will be done in 4 phases, hopefully by summer.

-Phase 1. Remove engine and fix leaks. DONE!
I pulled the engine and took it down to the pistons/cylinders. It was leaking and I hate dirty engines when I’m doing a project. Did a compression test and their all between 95 and 110. Not great but fine for now for my plans for it. I put it all back together and back in the bus so it can be mobile.

Phase 2. Body/paint. I would cruise it as is but the left side is crusty and needs attention. Therefore it will get painted. I’ll be stripping and fixing the rust and block sanding while someone else (or me, ever done it) shoots the color.

Phase 3. Haters gonna hate. Ive been into busses almost 20 years now. Always a stock guy. I’m bored. So, I’ll be doing a 4” beam, wheels and a moderate drop. No hackery (yet).

Phase 4. Cruise with family and enjoy it and take care of some of the other issues it has.

Anyway, here’s some photos. Found a mileage log from original owner. Pretty damn cool. Last entry in 08. Documents engine at 80k so the current engine likely has 60k on it. The current engine has Vw stickers on it so it was obviously a dealer replacement. Not a single washer or part was missing when I took it apart.

How would you approach this rust? Can I treat it with something? It will be garaged and maybe get a 1000 miles a year. I’d love to do full panel replacements but it’s not an option for me. Of course there will be some welding in the rear wheel arch and front lower part of the door but the rest I want an easy cheap solution even if it’s not the “right” solution. Looking for a short term solution that will last a couple years.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Something I’ve had success with, apply with a cheap paintbrush Naval Jelly onto the panels, targeting the rust areas. Nice and thick coats, and before you let it dry, place on it a large sheet of plastic drop cloth.
One of the old and wise shared with me this very insight from here on the Samba, and I’m a big advocate of it now.
Let it sit for a few days, and while wearing a mask, remove plastic, sand down the metal, and if permitting apply more coats of the jelly. More plastic, more success.

Good luck,
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

busmania wrote:

How would you approach this rust? Can I treat it with something?....

yes, you can treat it to a sand blaster and epoxy it. I never was a fan of chemical rust converters that you expect paint to adhere to.

you need to get deep into those pits. you may get lucky and get that panel straight...but it looks like it was a cave-n-pave before (that is cave it in and pave over it with filler)

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
busmania wrote:

How would you approach this rust? Can I treat it with something?....

yes, you can treat it to a sand blaster and epoxy it. I never was a fan of chemical rust converters that you expect paint to adhere to.

you need to get deep into those pits. you may get lucky and get that panel straight...but it looks like it was a cave-n-pave before (that is cave it in and pave over it with filler)

It’s actually very straight except for the crease you can kind of see in the photo. That crease is pretty minor too. Pic makes it look worse. Is mobile sand blasting a thing? I ondering if I can pay someone to come by and blast just this side.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

The rabbit started digging the hole. Damnit!

Bus is very straight. Not many secrets other than what I already knew. Should have it back in a couple days to start on the bodywork.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

The side panel is connected to the rocker panel is connected to the dogleg is connected to the... lol

That was the right decision to blast the whole thing. Given the handwritten maintenance history, this bus is worthy of some love.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

It’s back and I have questions! Nothing exposed that I didn’t already know about so that’s good.

For the rocker, should I just splice in a few pieces to repair what’s bad or do the entire rocker?

Where the pitting is pretty bad but not all the way through. Can I cover this? Filler? High build primer? Both? Yes, I know new metal is ideal but I can’t replace the entire middle section. I do think I’ll just get a new door.

The rabbit hole is getting deep. I’m now thinking of painting the inside too so it all matches.

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd patch that dog leg, fix the rear quarter in front of the wheel with a repair panel, replace the entire outer rocker, and just swap that door.

I'm not well versed enough in body work to comment on any left over pitting and what would be best to do. Blasting was definitely the best choice to remove rust, but I'll let others comment on what to do from there.

Nice work!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

You gotta take all that hardware off if you are going that far - otherwise its really half-azzed.

Its putting sealcoat on the Mona Lisa as restoration.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: