Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 71 deluxe
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

I finally got it out for some photos without crazy shadows. Went for a little cruise outside of town today. Some of these photos are edited cause I’ve never took the time to “edit” photos on my phone so I was messing around with that feature (welcome to 2019). It runs and drives so good now that shocks have been installed and I have the new motor. Man, it’s fun to drive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

9mmMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Sweet.
1971 Chianti Red / Pastel white Bus
mcode -
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Very nice job! I am not a fan of leaving them all rusty to continue to rot away to nothing. Catch it as early as you can to preserve the car for the future.

My '69 Deluxe originally had a trim strip in the windshield rubber that was destroyed and discarded by a hack glass man. I have not as yet found a replacement. Did yours have that too?
caffeinebean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

oprn
On the first page of this post there are pictures of the bus with that chrome strip in the windshield rubber
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caffeinebean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

oprn
On the first page of this post there are pictures of the bus with that chrome strip in the windshield rubber
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Yes! I missed that and the ones around the side windows are there too. I wonder why he didn't reuse them, they are very rare pieces these days! Mine is only missing the windshield one and I would love to get another.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

You've done a great job bringing that bus back from a beater to a beauty! Very, very nice work. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
You've done a great job bringing that bus back from a beater to a beauty! Very, very nice work. Wink

Thanks. Honestly, I struggled with the trim. It was not in great shape so I opted to not use it for now. I may install at a later date but kind of like it without. Looks a little “simpler” without it.

Oh, and ignore the dent on the left side air intake. Damn that was disappointing! I was trying to pull it into my garage as close to the wall as possible and got a little too close. I’ll address it eventually.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Oh yes! It's a struggle to get those trim strips back in the rubber if you ever let them come out! Been there, done that! Save them in good shape (without kinking I mean) for the next owner if you can because they are impossible to find now.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Been a minute. I’ve been cruising the bus and enjoying long drives. Bus has looked ok since I painted it but several areas need attention. Really it just needs to be cut and buffed. I’ve never Painted a car let alone cut and buff one so I’ve been putting this off. Tonight I was bored so I figured I’d practice cutting and polishing on the corner that I f’d up right after I finished the bus (see this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=734255&highlight= )

Anyway, maybe this will motivate me to finish the paint and make it super shiny. Sure is a lot of surface area though.

Anyway. Corner paint. This is one of the worst areas but you can see it’s pretty dull. The last coat of paint I layer down didn't have enough paint so it looks bad. Lots of areas like this on the bus since I’ve never painted a car before.

After wet sanding with 1500

After - much crisper light reflection (and you can see my shirt!)

Any tips? I wet sanded with 1500 paper. Then buffed with maguires medium compound. Then hand polished.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

busmania wrote:

I really like this bus. Especially the stance is perfect. It looks like it's sufficiently in the weeds but still drivable? Does it rub? I also keep coming back to BRMs as I browse wheels for a 73 Bay I recently brought home, which is orange. These look sharp.

Can you share some information about the lowering choices you used, and about the tire and wheel sizes?

Great work, really clean bus.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
busmania wrote:

I really like this bus. Especially the stance is perfect. It looks like it's sufficiently in the weeds but still drivable? Does it rub? I also keep coming back to BRMs as I browse wheels for a 73 Bay I recently brought home, which is orange. These look sharp.

Can you share some information about the lowering choices you used, and about the tire and wheel sizes?

Great work, really clean bus.

Just saw this post! Thanks for the kind words. It’s definitely not in the weeds which would be cool but it’s about as low as I want it to make it while having good driveability. Much lower and I’d be scraping all over the place.

It’s a wagenswest slam bay special. I’ll get back to you on the tires. I may eventually go one size bigger to get a little more out of it on the highway. I’m still driving it a lot and haven’t really done much to it since my last posts. Still have not cut and buffed it. Maybe one day.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 71 deluxe Reply with quote

Bus looks great. Very similar to what I did with mine years ago. Classic look. I like the non pop top and over riders on the bumpers. I have a set of over riders here but never installed them on my bus. Got me thinking about doing it.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: