Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to find the original engine number
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
messerschmittfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: How to find the original engine number Reply with quote

Folks I have a Kuebel engine that has the date 11.12. 44. (11 Dec 1944 cast on back of generator mount). The serial number of the engine was changed in 1948 when it was used in a VW in Austria. The new number is 2-093,903. The number stamped on both sides of the engine casings (beside the oil cooler mounting) are 93 with a date cast in the block of 23.11.44 -- this is on the same engine block side as the generator mount with the 11.12.44 casting date! The KdF casting emblems are on the bottom of both engine castings and the block is all aluminum making the December 1944 casting date correct as they were casting the engine blocks then out of all aluminum rather than the magnesium/aluminum alloy mix due to the shortage of magnesium. Does anyone know if VW Werk has the dates and engine numbers based on the stamped numbers on the two engine cases? I am sure the numbers are hand stamped and must be to keep track of the amount of engines produced on any given date. It would be great to know what the original number was. Thanks for any information Harry
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: How to find the original engine number Reply with quote

As I worked at the certificate service I can assure you: No, it ist not possible to find it out, as there are no other numbers than chassis and engine numbers recorded for that time period.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to find the original engine number Reply with quote

We've had a similar subject raised in the past. The truth is that when a number is stamped into the alloy here, it actually compresses the metal beneath the number created, and causes a stress concentration (or raiser) https://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Stress+riser

So basically the original number will be buried deep below the surface. The Police and others, have ways of disclosing this, which helps them find stolen, and 'ringer' vehicles.

I recall years ago buying an engine, and filed the number off flat, with a view to stamping in the original number to the vehicle at some stage. To my amazement, after a while, the dust from the fan belt settled on that flat area, and clearly showed the original numbers in the dust. There was more dust where the numbers had been. It seems that the electrostatically charged dust was attracted more to where there was stress in the metal. Any physicists out there able to explain?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find the original engine number Reply with quote

correct about the stress when a number is punched in the metal . You can read this as a piece of metal with 1 mm thick, that is build up with 1000 layers in wich a nr is stamped. The layers are pressed in under the digit. When you take a virtual section of the 1 mm thick sheet. The upper 100 layers will show a Clear V, With the upper layer is sharp, second a bit less sharper, and so on. Next 100 layers will show in stead of a V, an U .. .how deeper in the layers you go, the less deep and sharpnes will fade until there is no pressing. .
With certain products it is possible to accent the grinded nrs so they can be read.
There is no certitude about this procedure to make the nrs visible. I need to search what product is used to do this. Can take a while.
Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
messerschmittfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to find the original engine number Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, hopefully I will find a method to raise the original numbers. Thanks again Harry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: