Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken clutch cable (both sides)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Broken clutch cable (both sides) Reply with quote

Finally started working on the 56 kabrio and noticed a broken cable at the back. No problem I say and pull the pedal assembly and expect to pull it out with ease. Then the gut punch hits me, no cable loop up front. Well if no loop I should be able to pull it out the back so I thought. Well after a few good pulls a 3 foot section of cable pulls out...success! I start the new cable up front and get a few feet and stop, try the rear and get a little bit further but stop. I thought maybe there was a clutch cable repair that welded the cable to the tube but no cuts to the spine have been found.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I might get this sucker out? Ive soaked with evaporust for weeks with no progress, I really dont want to have to pull the spine plate and replace the whole tube but that might be the only way.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Broken clutch cable (both sides) Reply with quote

Try and find something stiff enough and snake it through the back maybe you can push it out the front? Long wooden dowels? If that doesn’t work just drop the 56 off at my house my 56 could use a little brother Wink you know where I live T.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Broken clutch cable (both sides) Reply with quote

Been doing the soak then every few days I push down some steel rod stock flexible enough to get down to the obstruction. It feels SOLID. Ive hit it a few times with a BFH to see if I could get it to budge but no dice.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken clutch cable (both sides) Reply with quote

SUCCESS!!

The evaporust IV/enema really did the job

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I kept soaking/flushing every few days til one day no back flush. Refilled and it flowed right through! Got a 1/4 in steel rod 7 feet long that I was able to push through easily. I plugged the tube at the pedal end and filled again with evaporust just to make sure I got it all.

Great motivation to get this thing rolling for this summer!!
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken clutch cable (both sides) Reply with quote

Yeah get that shit running already Laughing Laughing Laughing and when you get it done stop by my house and give me a hand with mine then we’ll go for a cruise.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: