Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side mirror keeps coming loose
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Side mirror keeps coming loose Reply with quote

So my passenger side mirror keeps coming loose and falling down. If I tighten it too tight it basically just loosens itself so I'm thinking maybe the threads in the door are shot. Any ideas?
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Side mirror keeps coming loose Reply with quote

Do you have the plastic washer between the mirror and the door?
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Side mirror keeps coming loose Reply with quote

EDragnDean wrote:

I don't. I had to remove it so I could get the mirror to thread the slightest bit in order to stay on. However, if I tighten it anymore than lightly threaded it breaks loose.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Side mirror keeps coming loose Reply with quote

Thing Shop sells the mirror brackets that mount to body. Much more sturdier and can be painted to match.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Side mirror keeps coming loose Reply with quote

Is it an aftermarket mirror-if so it is the screw in base. There is a problem with the aftermarket vs the original the nut and threaded portion do not screw in enough.

Let me see if I can find the thread that has photos for you.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Side mirror keeps coming loose Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649494&highlight=side+mirror+thread++nut

In this thread you can see the photos of the original threaded portion and nut vs the aftermarket and see how much deeper the orig should thread in.

There are orig nuts and threaded portions available for sale in the classifieds, or you can run a 16Mx1.5 die down the shaft of the aftermarket mount to create more threads.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Side mirror keeps coming loose Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
EDragnDean wrote:

I don't. I had to remove it so I could get the mirror to thread the slightest bit in order to stay on. However, if I tighten it anymore than lightly threaded it breaks loose.

You need the washer to get the right tension, otherwise it falls. Thread issue is a stripped door/mirror or aftermarket mirror. Based on the not enough threads, I’m guessing on an after market mirror as others are saying.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: