Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StiffGizzard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Got a new rubber for my 65 and from what I see everyone does it with a helping hand to smack the window in to place as you’re pulling the string to seat the seal.

I don’t want to botch it, so is there any point in even trying it solo?
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

no
KnightLife75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Rope and Soap(for lube), gentle pressure. I have never banged one in. It's actually really easy. The last one I had my 5 year old daughter push from the outside. She was strong enough to keep some pressure on it and not break it. I have also used a plunger on the inside to pull it into the opening as I work the rope around. plastic scrapers or putty knives can help as well.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

USA windshields are safety glass, the other windows are tempered glass. Easier to crack safety glass than tempered glass (which breaks into small pieces).

I recommend a windshield installer because of this; I've only replaced rear tempered glass windows, and know that I would not personally even try a front windshield, even with help.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Well placed open hand slaps against the glass help seat the whole glass into the frame instead of pushing in smaller areas towards the edge that can break the glass. I have installed hundreds of these things by myself. By slapping the glass at angles, but still with your hand flat on the glass, you can also shift glass which is not centered correctly.

Watch some of the videos of the factory installers, one zips the window in & another smacks the center of the glass with a padded 2x4.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

The Bug is small enough that the rope can be pulled from inside while you can reach outside to push the glass, but having a helper is much better, it should only take five minutes, get a friend to help.

Bug On!

PS once old glass is removed, make sure rust in the glass area is repaired. this may mean a day or more delay for new paint to cure. do not install over untreated rust. beware of razor blade cuts for rubber removal that can go deep and cut thru the paint, exposing the metal, this too should be repaired.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
NakMuayD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

it was actually cheaper to get someone from craigslist to swing by real quick and pop it in than having to buy TWO windshields

...just to be clear, the second windshield was to replace the brand new one I broke

just sayin

gone but not forgotten: '70, '71, '73, and '74 Bugs | '81 Ironhead | '13 Monster 796 | '93 El Dog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

I've changed both of by two beetles' windshields solo. However, that was only because they both have ragtop sunroofs, so you have really good access to both sides at once.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

I broke 2 windshields being a dick and trying to solo it. Get a buddy.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

I did it two times by myself, no help.

I have a '63 where the windshield is perfectly plain.

To remove I used a lot of small screw to push out the 'lip' of the seal.

To remount I helped myself with a lot of grease around the seal housing and a lot of time and kindness.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Very easy to do. You get a block of Styrofoam 12" X 24" and 10" thick. You get a cloth type tie down strap. You get a piece of 1/8" string that will fit all the way around the rubber and leaves 12" after it goes around and crosses past 12" hanging out. You use soap to coat the string. You clean the window channel, you spray the channel with silicone spray, you silicone spray the rubber groove that the string is in around the window. You tape the Styrofoam block to the outside of the windshield glass, you set the glass near or into the bottom channel pinch weld and tape the top of the glass to the roof to just hold the glass in place, you open both doors and take the strap and put it around the the block, glass and around the "A" pillars and pull the strap from the inside of the car. You will notice from the inside of the car when you do this that the rubber where it touches the pinch well will bulge slightly when you pull the strap. You don't have to pull tight-just enough to bulge the rubber. Then start with the two strings and start pulling the rubber over the pinch weld and with this method the window just sucks in. This a 5-10 minute job and you don't need any outside help and NO banging on the glass. Wink
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

BTW, the silicone spray in the window frame does two jobs. One, it helps make the rubber supple and suck in easier. Two spraying the glass frame leaves a silicone film that will stay there until you replace the glass the next time. That film will repel water and keep your window frame from rusting, the rusting occurs when the rubber ages and cracks letting water sit in the channel, but the silicone will prevent it from rusting.
FYI when you buy a new car spray all the inside bottoms of the doors, fenders, and don't stop until you see silicone dripping from the all drain holes....do this and you will not get rust perforation in the bottom of the channels.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

I went to a show once so I could get a windshield gasket, I decided to replace it while at the show just in case I needed a windshield too. It's amazing how many people stopped to watch as I started cutting the old gasket out & how many that thought that I was crazy for doing it there.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Make sure your helper maintains even pressure with both hands in the upper and lower corners (respectively) as you pull the string around each side. If said helper gets lazy and leans in the middle with just one hand- snap! I know this well. Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

The commercial for Safelite auto shows one guy showing up to change the windshield while the family is watching their children play soccer ( or some sort of similar scenario).

Call them to do it and enjoy your day.

Very Happy

(And this is total sarcasm).
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Quote:
the silicone spray in the window frame does two jobs

Silicone never dries. It stays slick. IMO it's better to use soap for washing dishes mixed with a little water. It dries and after that, the 'excess' easily washes off. As for the 'cord' I use 12 gauge wire. It has a smooth finish. Start at the bottom and go from there.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
The commercial for Safelite auto shows one guy showing up to change the windshield while the family is watching their children play soccer ( or some sort of similar scenario).

Call them to do it and enjoy your day.

Very Happy

(And this is total sarcasm).

Yes! This is pure gold. Most of these guys nowadays have never installed a windshield that has a rubber gasket, much less one with trim. I watched one fight with trying to install a windshield without inserting the trim in the gasket before pulling the assembly into the aperture. He spent four hours trying to install the glass before he left saying "I'll be right back", we never saw him again. Laughing

Airedale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Yes, can be done and is easy enough to do. Reason I don"t is if I do it and break windshield I have to buy another. If an installer does it and breaks it he goes to parts room fetches another windshield and installs it. The broken one is his problem and not mine.
Airedale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Yes, can be done and is easy enough to do. Reason I don"t is if I do it and break windshield I have to buy another. If an installer does it and breaks it he goes to parts room fetches another windshield and installs it. The broken one is his problem and not mine.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can you install a windshield by yourself? Is it worth it? Reply with quote

Since when does any glass shop stock a spare Beetle glass in the back room?

Hell, I remember way back in the early 90s, I got a windshield installed by a one the big windshield shops in Fort Collins, and they had to apologize as they realized after they put it in, that the only reason they had one in stock was that it had been special ordered by someone else and they ended up putting it in my car - the apology was that it was a slightly tinted glass, which I had not specified, but they only had that one on hand due to that special order.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: