Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do???
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Would love some feedback. Here's the deal....

Currently have a 1985 Westy with a stock 1.9. The engine runs ok, but two of the four cylinders are about 30% low on compression, so there is a definite lack of power. I have a fairly new transmission from GW in the van and overall the van is in really good shape with some good upgrades. The motor is the main concern right now for any longer trips.

I have two options I'm considering. Both would be done by my local very trusted mechanic.

Option 1 - Approx. $4500 - $5500: Good running 2.1 gone through, but not rebuilt aside from new seals and whatnot. It would get the fancy rocker and fuel injectors sold on thesamba along with the high perf mack daddy SS exhaust from RMW. This would also include any cooling reroutes and other misc items to go from a 1.9 to a 2.1.

Option 2: Approx. $11,000 - $13,000 - Subi 2.5 swap. Would include everything needed including the RMW exhaust.

I've driven my 1.9 from Florida to Minnesota and from Minnesota to Colorado and I honestly don't mind the lack of power of the 1.9 aside from a few times in NE driving straight into a headwind and only being able to go max 40mph for about 3 hours....ugh! But, overall, I know whatever power gains the 2.1 would give would be adequate for me and my driving style.

I'm looking for opinions from you all before I pull the trigger on one of the options. I'm leaning towards the 2.1 mostly from a cost perspective. If I had unlimited cash, i'd probably go with the Subi.

Thanks!
Thomas
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

What's the breakdown of the costs associated with whatever the mechanic is doing to the 2.1? Those prices seem kinda high for a non-rebuilt engine. Personally, I would skip the fancy rockers and exhaust, since you don't mind the current power output of the 1.9. Just focus on getting a solid running 2.1 to sit in there happily. You can always do upgrades later. If you have a complete donor engine, then the swap is very straight forward

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
WThose prices seem kinda high for a non-rebuilt engine.

Yeah. You can get a GoWesty 2.2L for $4,600 and I think my mechanic charged me about $1k to install my engine. Although I guess the RMW exhaust and other stuff could easily total to what the OP mentioned.

If you're already fine with the power and reliability of your 1.9L, I don't see the point in paying double to get the Suby installed.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

On the Transaxle side of the equation.. Standard, or Auto?

I sure would be more tempted at a transplanted ej25 on an Auto than a Standard.

But, for sure, good to ask and think about this a while.

The good reasons to stay more-or-less stock are a-plenty. Also, plenty of good reasons to Transplant.

Care to share some photos of your rig?

-bobby
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

From what you write, just stay with the WBX engine, 1.9 or 2.1 .......
Quick, Easy, Done

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

The van is a manual. I understand I could do the swap myself and save, but I don't have a space to do it in and i'm ok with spending the extra money to have it done well.

A quick breakdown, which I think is reasonable for the 2.1 is:
Engine = $550
Additional Parts (exhaust, clutch, electrical, fuel, rocker) = $2200 +-
Labor = $1700 +-

The Subi swap price was a rough guess by the shop owner, but would include I believe the SmallCar conversion kit along with a wiring harness and a later model 2.5. Given what other well know shops charge, I feel that estimate isn't out of bounds.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

If I had the $'s I'd have gone with your approach. I am mid transplant, moving at a snails' pace. More than 13 months now. However, not everyone has 3 or 4 Vanagons... I'm keeping the Westy stock, while performing Frankensteins' experiments on others Wink The blue/white one is 90% done getting EJ22 transplant. Would move more rapidly if I had a warm garage.. I obviously need a BIG(er) and warm(er) garage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
...Yeah. You can get a GoWesty 2.2L for $4,600 and I think my mechanic charged me about $1k to install my engine...

An advantage there is that they have a 2.2l that is a drop-in replacement for the 1.9l - no modifications required. It really is a noticeable bump in power.

We've put 50000+ miles on ours and couldn't be happier.
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

I had Rocky Mountain Westy put a Subaru 2.5l in last Spring and I love it. I drove a 1.9l for the first 9 years I owned it, an inline 4 1.8l for the next 14 years and now the EJ25. It was expensive, but worth it to me.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

I'd keep it all VW and install a RJE 2.3L WBX

http://www.rockyjennings.com/WBX_info.html

$4900 for the 2.3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Everybody has their own priorities, and considering you're fine with the power, it seems something reliable, quick and easy like a gowesty 2.2, 6,000-7,000 or so left in your pocket, and more power would be a no brainer.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

My vote is for the WBX. With a caveat... $550 is a bit much for an unknown core and (INHO) a bit cheap for a good running with GOOD OIL PRESSURE 2.1 long block. Who's providing the 2.1 and what do they actually know about it? What's the hot idle oil pressure on your 1.9? The 1.9 has a more reliable bottom end. If I had to choose between doing a top end rebuild of a 1.9 that has known good oil pressure or a mystery 2.1 or even a 2.1 with so so pressure,. I'd take the 1.9. I can say from experience that the RMW exhaust adds a few ponies to the 1.9. I'm sure that the rockers and better injectors would make a difference, too. I'd even go so far as to suggest those things added on to a 1.9 would meet or exceed the power of a stock 2.1.

Now, if the 2.1 you have lined up was mechanically tested for good oil pressure at hot idle, then go for it. But... for not a lot of money more (since that engine is already out and on the ground) you could pop the heads and put in 2.2 piston/cylinders for a solid proven bump in hp. Add the other goodies to that 2.2 and your van will a have great bump in power, still be stock enough that any machanic can work on it and you will still be half the budget of the subbie swap.

Just my thoughts...

Hans
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Since you're not DIY-ing, my vote is for the GW or Jennings "new" WBX. And I've got an EJ25 swap that I'm completely happy with.

Also, you're certain your compression issues are real?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
What's the breakdown of the costs associated with whatever the mechanic is doing to the 2.1? Those prices seem kinda high for a non-rebuilt engine. Personally, I would skip the fancy rockers and exhaust, since you don't mind the current power output of the 1.9. Just focus on getting a solid running 2.1 to sit in there happily. You can always do upgrades later. If you have a complete donor engine, then the swap is very straight forward

I got to agree for the most part. $5,500 is not a huge amount money for a power plant swap, but it seems (to me) a lot for an unknown engine install without addressing head gaskets, and rod bolts.
That stainless exhaust might be nice, but you do need to balance cost vs. benefit. For example, if a WBX is going back in, my first priorities, for a used engine, would be new rod bolts, (since mine went with no warning), head gaskets - which could quickly escalate into the need for new, or rebuilt heads, then replacing plastic bits in the cooling system, preferably with metal - coolant manifold, t-stat housing, etc. then hoses, FI pressure regulator etc.

These later items would be applied to a "new" GoWesty of RJE or other reputable builder's engine.
After that, then perhaps new injectors and the other bits you mentioned.

Only my opinion.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Is the bhp of a 2.1 above 100?

I dont know how they get to 165hp in a suby 2.5 but that is a significant jump in horses w more modern technology.
Im a do-it-yourself type so suby it would be. I cant imagine dishing out 11k.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Thanks all for the feedback. I knew posting here I'd get my money's worth!

I believe the stock hp on a 2.1 is 95hp.

Before this van and before my Eurovan experiment, I had a 86 Westy with a subi 2.2. It was pretty great in most regards as far as power and reliability goes.

I'd have to imagine that a DIY subi swap at the minimum would be in the $4,000 to $5,000 area. You need a motor, the motor would need to be rebuilt, conversion kit, exhaust, etc. Maybe I'm off on that??

Like I said, if I had a decent shop space and time, that would probably be my path, but I have two low ceiling single car garages, unheated in MN. Currently my 17 year old and I are rebuilding his 1984 Toyota AE86 (towed out of a corn field in Iowa), putting in a used 16v 4AGE motor among other upgrades / fixes.

I've got two Colorado trips planned for late spring / early summer and my wife and I are taking the van to Quebec Canada this fall. Shelling out $5k for a fairly reliable engine with a bit more hp before the summer is a no brainer to me.

I'm going to discuss some of the questions you all have posted with my mechanic today regarding the stock 2.1 engine he has. I'll get some details about the motor and what upgrades / refreshes should be done before installing that motor in my van. I'll update the post with any new info he has for me.

Thanks again for the great feedback, I really appreciate it!

Thomas
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Here's some pics of the 85 on a Colorado trip last summer.

seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Gowesty won’t accept a 1.9 core so you’d have to source a good 2.1 core to send back to them. I don’t think Rocky takes a 1.9 anymore either.

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Regarding the compression. My mechanic did a compression test and found two of the cylinders were under the normal range. He did say that it could be when at cruising speed there may not be much of a penalty, but since they are low, I would guess, their not going to get any better with time?
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Smile

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey

Last edited by seventyfo on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: