Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do???
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

DIY suby will run you 5-10k depending on the work you do to the engine and what kit you use.
Buy a propane heater and a roll of 6 mil plastic for that garage.

No one should be out in the cold.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I had lower compression in two cylinders. I adjusted the valves and it fixed the issue.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

The Subaru engines do make more horses/torque, but you should know WHERE they make it. IF a VW engine were good to 7K RPM, it might be putting out much more power. Right?

SO.. Whereis your transmission with an engine wound out to 6 or 7K? Starved of oil, for sure.

You got to match things up.
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Another option I hadn't thought about till this morning is would having the 1.9 rebuilt along with the high zoot rocker, injectors and RMW muffler be a viable, less expensive route to take?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

As already mentioned, you could have the 1.9 punched out to 2.2 during the rebuild--plug n' play

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Yep, hdenter did suggest that. Good catch. I'll look into that route as well.

Thanks!
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

thomast wrote:
Regarding the compression. My mechanic did a compression test and found two of the cylinders were under the normal range. He did say that it could be when at cruising speed there may not be much of a penalty, but since they are low, I would guess, their not going to get any better with time?

i would rebuild this engine. should run about 3k to have someone do it. it's time for new seals and heads. get the injectors cleaned. if you are still unhappy with it, you can go from there without being out a ton of money.

BiWerks Design, LLC
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Given your plans to drive this van good distances, putting a $500 rebuild w/out multiple certifications of good health seems like option #4 or #5 on the list of possibilities.

Rebuilding or installing a quality rebuilt makes sense for a long term solution.

You're in Minnestoa? Perhaps some folks here know of skilled rebuilders to recommend in the area.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm going to discuss the rebuild option with my mechanic today.

My mechanic is Tristan from Further Performance in Minneapolis. He's the owner, a great guy all around. Very honest and a well respected shop in our area. Also, my 17 year old son works there, so I have a lot of faith in his abilities and recommendations.

I'll update once i go over some of these new options with him.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

How soon are you wanting to be back on the road?

I personally would want to ship my engine off to an experienced waterboxer rebuilder VS a mechanic's first waterboxer rebuild.

I don't know anything about rebuilding an engine however.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

You're in Minnestoa? Perhaps some folks here know of skilled rebuilders to recommend in the area.

Just stay away from this guy:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/wan/d/vw-vanagon-engines-wanted-dead-or-alive/6789814100.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/d/minneapolis-vw-20-aircooled-vanagon/6792564150.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/pts/d/vw-air-cooled-porsche-914-parts/6789841807.html

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/wan/d/vw-thing-wanted-dead-or-alive/6789841352.html
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

seventyfo wrote:
Gowesty won’t accept a 1.9 core...

They certainly did when I got mine though the language is vague:

Quote:
Same engine size must be returned as purchased...

They used to build 2.2s based on either a 1.9 or a 2.1 engine - you got version that was based on what core you would be sending. Looking at their website I could not tell if this approach had changed.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

thomast wrote:
Also, my 17 year old son works there...

Sounds like the labor costs on your project should be free!
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Ha! Not free yet. He's a parts runner, floor sweeper, extra set of hands guy right now, but it's a start!

I called Gowesty and they do except 1.9 cores back when you purchase a 2.2 or 2.3 motor.
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 - Looking to have it all done by mid May 2019.

We had our 1970 bus 1600cc motor rebuilt by a guy in town and he did great work, so that's where we'd most likely go if I decide to rebuild the 1.9.
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

I have a friend of a friend who got a subi installed into his 84 by Further Performance in Minneapolis, he raved about them.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

jayinduluth wrote:
I have a friend of a friend who got a subi installed into his 84 by Further Performance in Minneapolis, he raved about them.

Further Performance in Minneapolis was also mentioned with good repute by the kind lady I got my Karma Dometic Fridge from. She mentioned a VW Enthusiast group there I have since forgotten the name of, I believe she said "MNWesty" but I can't dig that up. I must have misremembered.
jayinduluth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/minnesotawesties/

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/minnesotawesties/

Last edited by jayinduluth on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

My question is: do you think you might want more power, speed, torque etc someday? I love my van and it's slow but steady pace just the way it is, but pretty sure I'd like the power of either a very updated WBX or a conversion someday. Once I start spending more than a couple thousand bucks, it's ridiculous play money anyway and I'd want to make sure I got what I wanted the first time.

Not sure if that helps, but its my .02.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

My 1.9L is running great. Yeah it's not fast, and its not a big deal as long as it gets me there.

However, for sure looking at getting a new power plant once it starts giving me issues.

What I see in an engine conversion

1. More power (A/C one day)
2. OBD port - Torque app always running with digital gauges
3. Part availability at FLAPS
4. There are more subaru engine mechanics out there
5. Engine availability. You can find a running EJ25 locally faster than an old VW engine.
6. Wiring harness refresh + updated.
7. Better MPG

I am on hunt to find an 00-04' 2.5L subaru manual trans for 1k. RMW kit ~3.5k. Get the EJ25 rebuilt per vanagon specs ~3.5k. Wiring harness modified by Jeff at Autoventures ~$700. Install myself ~9k total. I'll figure it out.

Once trans goes out, I'll have me a subaru trans on hand to send off to get rebuilt/subaru gears kit installed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: