Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do???
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

jayinduluth wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/minnesotawesties/

Giggles! The coffee mug is made by Peter Deneen Pottery. Peter was one of my dad's first students at Luther, and has been the most prolific production potter ever to come out of the South Bear School. Peter went on to further study at Pond Farm with Weimar Bahaus Master Potter Marguerite Wildenhain. She always scared the crap out of me. Both of my older brothers worked as journeymen for Peter for summers after 4 years training at Southie. Peter is a good friend Smile
My best friend, also studied at Luther, then worked at Deneen Pottery, could throw 700 of those forms a day. When he was back here (NE Iowa) at his own studio, we could finish 400 similar forms a day together. I got 25c per handle, and 25c per medalion/foot stamp/cleanup. I miss him dearly.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Quote:
IF a VW engine were good to 7K RPM, it might be putting out much more power. Right?

Presumably you're referring to a wbx. These will run at 6.5-7k smoothly, but the stock cams are off their torque bands by 5k, so well past the hp peak. There's nothing to be gained by revving higher so the ECU limits revs to 5400-5600, depending on the ECU you have.

If the same engine was build around a longer-duration/higher-overlap cam, it could indeed make much higher peak hp, and it wouldn't be impossible with a little skill to have an engine with excellent driveability as well.

Quote:
As already mentioned, you could have the 1.9 punched out to 2.2 during the rebuild--plug n' play

Nope, gotta change the crankshaft to do that.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Darn you, masters of reality!

Every time I chime in on some 1.9 topic, I get burned by my own ignorance. Every. Time.

My only experiences with 1.9 vans are the kind converted to 2.1 engines/management, but still with the 1.9 cooling system.
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to Minnesota Westies!

mikemtbbike - I'm not apposed to more power and expect it with whatever I do end up doing. I want to spend under $7k (hopefully) and have it done by May. Reliability and a little more hp are my main goals right now.

I'm ok with spending that now and then down the road in who knows how many years, do something else.

Thanks for the input!
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 - I think you just nailed my first year of retirement! Thanks!
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

This just nails it for me in thinking about the conversion. I'm coming at it from the same perspective and for the same reasons. I think it's about how long you feel like you'll have the van and what it will take to keep it going. This analysis just sums up all the reasons to me that the conversion would make sense for a longer term solution. You just can't beat a full refresh and the introduction of more modern parts that were produced in HUGE quantities. That's worth a bunch.

My concerns end up being the trans. I've got an Auto, and I enjoy that. I'm not super interested in doing the auto to manual conversion and going subaru trans. The concern is going with higher power, burning out the trans, and having to dump money into a rebuild that might last, or going subaru gears.

With that concern, the 2.2/2.3 WBX from a reliable builder (GW/RJE) starts to make more sense. The idea would be that your going to get a nice little bump in power, but stock gearing in the trans should work, and you've got a solid long block, without the cost of trans work or unknowns of a conversion. There is a lot of appeal here, and potentially a good cost savings when you consider the conversion PLUS possible trans questions down the line. It's a tough call in many ways, because I think the below is a strong argument for the conversion, but is that just a never ending rabbit hole and dumpster fire of money long term? As a keyboard mechanic, I just can't tell. The answer to many of these questions, and threads like this, seem to be, how big is your pocket book and what kind of failures/risk can it sustain? If money was no object, then I'd probably say screw it and go conversion and if it's a mess, go a different route because I think the project alone is fun and there is value in that.

shagginwagon83 wrote:
My 1.9L is running great. Yeah it's not fast, and its not a big deal as long as it gets me there.

However, for sure looking at getting a new power plant once it starts giving me issues.

What I see in an engine conversion

1. More power (A/C one day)
2. OBD port - Torque app always running with digital gauges
3. Part availability at FLAPS
4. There are more subaru engine mechanics out there
5. Engine availability. You can find a running EJ25 locally faster than an old VW engine.
6. Wiring harness refresh + updated.
7. Better MPG

I am on hunt to find an 00-04' 2.5L subaru manual trans for 1k. RMW kit ~3.5k. Get the EJ25 rebuilt per vanagon specs ~3.5k. Wiring harness modified by Jeff at Autoventures ~$700. Install myself ~9k total. I'll figure it out.

Once trans goes out, I'll have me a subaru trans on hand to send off to get rebuilt/subaru gears kit installed.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Eric_Taylor wrote:
This just nails it for me in thinking about the conversion. I'm coming at it from the same perspective and for the same reasons. I think it's about how long you feel like you'll have the van and what it will take to keep it going. This analysis just sums up all the reasons to me that the conversion would make sense for a longer term solution. You just can't beat a full refresh and the introduction of more modern parts that were produced in HUGE quantities. That's worth a bunch.

My concerns end up being the trans. I've got an Auto, and I enjoy that. I'm not super interested in doing the auto to manual conversion and going subaru trans. The concern is going with higher power, burning out the trans, and having to dump money into a rebuild that might last, or going subaru gears.

With that concern, the 2.2/2.3 WBX from a reliable builder (GW/RJE) starts to make more sense. The idea would be that your going to get a nice little bump in power, but stock gearing in the trans should work, and you've got a solid long block, without the cost of trans work or unknowns of a conversion. There is a lot of appeal here, and potentially a good cost savings when you consider the conversion PLUS possible trans questions down the line. It's a tough call in many ways, because I think the below is a strong argument for the conversion, but is that just a never ending rabbit hole and dumpster fire of money long term? As a keyboard mechanic, I just can't tell. The answer to many of these questions, and threads like this, seem to be, how big is your pocket book and what kind of failures/risk can it sustain? If money was no object, then I'd probably say screw it and go conversion and if it's a mess, go a different route because I think the project alone is fun and there is value in that.

shagginwagon83 wrote:
My 1.9L is running great. Yeah it's not fast, and its not a big deal as long as it gets me there.

However, for sure looking at getting a new power plant once it starts giving me issues.

What I see in an engine conversion

1. More power (A/C one day)
2. OBD port - Torque app always running with digital gauges
3. Part availability at FLAPS
4. There are more subaru engine mechanics out there
5. Engine availability. You can find a running EJ25 locally faster than an old VW engine.
6. Wiring harness refresh + updated.
7. Better MPG

I am on hunt to find an 00-04' 2.5L subaru manual trans for 1k. RMW kit ~3.5k. Get the EJ25 rebuilt per vanagon specs ~3.5k. Wiring harness modified by Jeff at Autoventures ~$700. Install myself ~9k total. I'll figure it out.

Once trans goes out, I'll have me a subaru trans on hand to send off to get rebuilt/subaru gears kit installed.

And the transmission concerns, especially if a higher torque engine is involved, is why some genius guy created the reverse 1.8t with 5 speed transmission.
Although probably not fitting the bill for this original poster, I like the extra power and knowing that I'll never have to think about the vanagon trans.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

By the way, I have to say something about #7 on that list above.

I've had several conversions now, going back 20 years, a couple different 2.2 Subaru's, 2.5 subaru, tiico, and now the reversed 1.8t. (all with manual transmission)

I don't think it's realistic to hope for a meaningful increase in mpg over a well tuned 1.9 wbx, unless it's diesel.
Maybe 1 mpg.
Just my experience, with gps numbers
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
seventyfo wrote:
Gowesty won’t accept a 1.9 core...

They certainly did when I got mine though the language is vague:

Quote:
Same engine size must be returned as purchased...

They used to build 2.2s based on either a 1.9 or a 2.1 engine - you got version that was based on what core you would be sending. Looking at their website I could not tell if this approach had changed.

In 2017 when I was looking at options for rebuilding my GW 2.2, Gowesty had a notice that at that time they were only building on 2.1 cases and accepting 2.1 cores. The main reason behind rebuilding my 1.9 case 2.2 again. I guess things change when you’re not paying attention, my bad 😆

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

I agree on #7 as well,
we've several vanagons with several differing powerplants.
the standards get 20-23mpg
the autos get 16-20mpg
depending on driver input, every MPH over 60 costs more fuel. same for every pound/Kg in weight.
my travel buddy throws his (4spd) van into Neutral as if it's another gear.. and gets ~24mpg.

the big gain in an engine conversion is maintaining a comfortable speed.. not having to row through the gears just to maybe lose speed on inclines or mtns.. but being able to roll with traffic at a comfortable pace.

it's always funny when discussing engine swaps, especially with Bay & split drivers.. that I hear "I Don't want to drive that fast, I want to see/enjoy the scenery"
well one doesn't have to drive any faster than they normally do with a swap, but they don't HAVE TO drive slower just because there's a hill/grade.

took my 1.8T van NY to FL this christmas,, most of which was 65~68mph on interstates.. I get a front end shimmy that's annoying at 70mph.. though it does go away at 76~78mph. Wink

the biggest safety of an engine swap is the ability to get out and merge properly. especially on short or up hill on ramps.
also the ability to get out of the way or away from erratic drivers. a stock vanagon is usually very near it's capabilities at highway speeds. a swaped engine gives you alot more instant reserve.. which I find nice when traffic boxes you beside a tractor trailer and your interchange is coming up in a few miles.. which was panic inducing in my original air cooled motor.

I may get the same or similiar MPGs but I get more than double the available horse power than my OE engine for that MPGs

levi wrote:

I've had several conversions now, going back 20 years, a couple different 2.2 Subaru's, 2.5 subaru, tiico, and now the reversed 1.8t. (all with manual transmission)

I don't think it's realistic to hope for a meaningful increase in mpg over a well tuned 1.9 wbx, unless it's diesel.
Maybe 1 mpg.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

levi wrote:

Maybe 1 mpg.

Always laughed at that myself when people talk about gasoline engine swaps (diesels have a different story).

It takes the same amount of fuel to do the same work. Lambda is controlling mixture almost all the time on any gasoline engine sold in the US since the early 80's, they all turn more than 99% of the fuel into heat. The differences in mechanical utilisation of that heat between any comparable 4-cyl engines made since that time are a low single-digit percentage. The differences in measured emissions are equally small, by the way.

So it's a stretch to claim that the popular gasoline swaps will automatically deliver a fuel efficiency gain that the owner could actually measure by the standard, highly-inaccurate method we all use, mileage between fill-ups. With all the variables at play, by that method you can't make reliable comparisons on differences less than about 10%. And what do we see reported as to mileage improvements after swaps? One or two mpg, or in other words, less than 10%.

We don't as often hear from the ones who measure drops of similar amounts, but given the crudeness of measurement, they are out there, they just don't say anything.

You can make the case for more reserve power, some of the swaps actually deliver that in the rpm window most drivers actually use. Others might find the reserve power their stock engine has if they weren't afraid to use it within its intended work envelope. If you insist on never downshifting, that's you, it's not an objective case for comparison, since downshifting is the intended work envelope of the existing technology. Preferring newer technology because it's newer (it's not any more "modern" than what came from the factory, but the reason that's true is too long to explain here), and justifying that preference by claiming the existing technology is "primitive", only demonstrates the small window thru which that person is able to understand technology, with generous assists from our pals Dunning and Kruger, similar to the blindered view if not total unawareness of basic thermodynamics that lets people claim a newer engine will be markedly more fuel efficient. It says nothing about the existing technology.

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
...Others might find the reserve power their stock engine has if they weren't afraid to use it within its intended work envelope. If you insist on never downshifting, that's you, it's not an objective case for comparison, since downshifting is the intended work envelope of the existing technology...

I suppose 50 years of spirited driving in little Triumphs (also sub 2 liter though less weight) has given me habits that help get the most out of the WBX.

What habits? In general when I have observed others driving stock Vanagons it appears to me that they often up shift too soon, down shift too seldom and fail to anticipate what will happen next (passing opportunity, steep incline, etc.).

I passed a Porsche Cayman on a twisty mountain road the other day for no other reason than I was paying attention and he wasn't.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

and many more are still perfectly happy enjoying the view out the front windshield and not looking into the minuscule rear view mirror or wind adjusted side mirrors happily oblivious to the queue of cars or lumbering dump trucks behind them. Laughing

really all depends on what/where ones own personal comforts are while driving.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I suppose 50 years of spirited driving in little Triumphs (also sub 2 liter though less weight) has given me habits that help get the most out of the WBX.

What habits? In general when I have observed others driving stock Vanagons it appears to me that they often up shift too soon, down shift too seldom and fail to anticipate what will happen next (passing opportunity, steep incline, etc.).

You get it. An awful lot don't.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

I have taken a good example from drivers I have appreciate while north of the US border... Those folks actually pull over into the swail and let faster traffic go by. I often find myself following that option, and even though it confuses those from the states, it makes my blood pressure get along with my kidneys much better. Even driving my Toyotas, I do this, even though, of course, I could easily push the pedal to 3/4 and fly by most traffic I find to be pokey, I usually just back off a bit and save the gas.
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Quick follow-up:

I've decided, much in part to the helpful responses to this thread and reading though many other threads, to go with the Gowesty 2.3 motor. I'll be ordering it in a few weeks. I'll update once it's in and driven a bit.

Thanks again everyone! Really appreciate all the information you provided. It was very helpful.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Only you know your cash flow, but....
The 2.1 you speak about $550, is only 10% of the total bill if you choose that route. $5000 is a lot of money to build around an unknow used motor.
I'm guessing your mechanic will use the 1.9l ignition and ECU, so really a very easy straight forward install.
Like others have said, consider a GW or Jennings rebuilt.
Subi swap, has your mechanic done a few before?
No point on paying for inexperience, and half way through he decides he overlooked a few items and needs to charge more.Consider doing a rebuilt 2.1 install yourself, lots of support here, very satisfying, and you will be familiar with your vans new lump.

Subi swap, a great choice too, but what is the state of the motor going in? Again, $13k is a lot to build around a high milage unknown motor. Sure today the compression is good, but what if you get an oil burner?
Thesamba has a lot of converted vans on here, but I think a majority of them are done by their owners, saving several thousands.
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

I do about 50% of the work on my van. Some stuff I'm very comfortable with and some not so much. Trial, error, age and some wisdom has taught me some things are better left to the professionals!

Wanting the van ready for travel by May 2019 and not having shop space to work on the van indoors (live in Minnesota), having Further Performance do the engine swap is a no brainer. They've done a number of GW engines along with Subaru conversions here in Minneapolis. The owner, Tristan lives and breaths VW's and I feel very comfortable having them do the work.

I know I could save some $$ doing the 2.1 used motor instead of the GW 2.3, and even more doing it myself, but aside from the fact that I have no time or space to do it, i'm playing the long game on this one and want a reliable, well thought out motor with a little more oomph than my tired 1.9 currently in the van and I want it installed right. I'll have a warranty on the motor and I'll have the backing of a great shop.

I know stuff will still break and no doubt I'll have to put my Premium AAA card to use at some point, but I've had enough with cobbling together things, holding my breath and hoping I make it over the next hill. Hitting the easy button this time. Money is not a deterrent.

Now it's time to choose a muffler system (RMW SS or GW SS) and figure out how to convert my non-working clock to a stock Vanagon tachometer.

Cheers!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

thomast wrote:
...I've decided... to go with the Gowesty 2.3 motor.

...Wanting the van ready for travel by May 2019

If you are planning to order a rebuilt from GW on an exchange basis... you will want to check what their lead time is these days.

I recall it was about 8 weeks when I got mine. They told me that when I ordered and it was that long until delivery.

Just wouldn't want you to wait on ordering thinking it was as quick as ordering parts.
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 or Subi...What to do, what to do??? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I called them last week and they said right now they are about 1 to 2 weeks out for a 1.9 exchange on a 2.3 motor. Should be ordering it by the end of this week or early next.

Did you do the 2.3? What injectors and exhaust system did you use with your GW motor? I'm thinking about using the Marco injectors
( https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2209878 ) and the RMW SS exhaust.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: