Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1679 pilot jet size?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: 1679 pilot jet size? Reply with quote

With a 2280 cam and a 34 PICT3. I've only got it running on the stand and it has a 65 now, too big?

Thanks.
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 pilot jet size? Reply with quote

I did some research, it sounds like a stock 55 should be OK so I'm going to start there.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 pilot jet size? Reply with quote

A stock 55 is just that, for a 100% stock 1600 down to the pea shooter exhaust. You can start there, but bigger cylinders, cam, and exhaust will require something larger. How much larger? You will have to find out loaded in the vehicle. Get some .55 stock jets, and a pin vise drill bit set to drill out a .60/.65/.70, and experiment. .65 is by no means too big in a combo like yours. If you find .05mm is too big of a jump, Aircooled.net used to sell jets in .01mm increments like .60/.61/.62/.63 for very fine tuning. Remember to readjust the idle, and best lean mixture screw with each change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 pilot jet size? Reply with quote

When I was running a 34 Pict-3 on my 1679 I found a 55 jet gave the best idle and low speed.
I tried a 50 and 60 but 55 was the best.

Mine was with a W-100 cam and stock heads.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1679 pilot jet size? Reply with quote

Thanks, I'm going to try the 55. I just can't lean it out enough with the 65 and get a decent idle, plugs are black. Need to wait until spring and get it on the road and do the final jetting. And I need to get the manifold heat plumbed up. It has one of those aftermarket systems where it just pulses between 2 & 4 but it was never drilled out. Am going to weld a tap onto the #4 flange fitting, drill it thru and run a tube into the tail pipe and drill the #2 fitting so hopefully I get a good flow thru it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1679 pilot jet size? Reply with quote

you should make micro changes when tuning the idle jet. The change of a 50 or 60 from a 55 is a 20% change in fuel, way too big.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Solex-Kadron-Brosol-and-Bocar-Idle-Jet-Micro-p/solex-idle-jet-micro.htm

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1679 pilot jet size? Reply with quote

A 34 pict-3 has a specific way to set up Lean Best Idle.
Make sure you set the throttle plate correctly and do all adjusting with the correct screws.
It's not difficult....it just has to be done correctly.

This is pretty good

http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html

It's been almost 6 years since I adjusted a Solex carb and/or had to change jets.
I don't miss it....... Wink

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
rodeking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1679 pilot jet size? Reply with quote

I checked my fuel pressure, 8-9 psi Shocked. It looks like a brand new Brazilian pump that can't be disassembled without a hacksaw. Can 5 psi be shimmed out of it or by shortening the rod?
VdanielW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1679 pilot jet size? Reply with quote

pressure regulator and gauge will correct it to the carb.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-804/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3122?rrec=true
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: