Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear axle bearing help needed....
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

1965 Beetle, stock transmission.

I purchased a rebuilt transmission with axles & tubes installed from one of our vendors. I received it Monday.

According to the "Bug Me Videos" the rear axle bearings are supposed to be installed with the sealed side towards the transmission and the open side (balls showing) towards the wheel. Unless these bearings are sealed on both sides, these bearings are installed backwards.

Also, one of them is noticeably "cocked".

I have done a search on our site and found many old posts about how to remove them.....but, these bearings have the seal on the outside so I can't get a puller in between the balls or vise grips on the outer edge to try the "Pull and hammer method".

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks.

PS: The transmission is already installed in the car. I didn't notice the bearings until I went to install the backing plates and end caps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Denny B on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

Can you unbolt the tranny from the mounts. Lift it up a few inches. Then unbolt the axle tube cover from the tranny? Then you could get a big enough puller to wrap over the axle bearing housing and slide the whole thing off.

Or.....pull the bearing seal and pull the bearing as designed. Call the rebuilder and ask for a new bearing.

Or.....call and ask the rebuilder what course of action you should take, since it is their warranty that you may need to rely on down the road.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Can you unbolt the tranny from the mounts. Lift it up a few inches. Then unbolt the axle tube cover from the tranny? Then you could get a big enough puller to wrap over the axle bearing housing and slide the whole thing off.

Or.....pull the bearing seal and pull the bearing as designed. Call the rebuilder and ask for a new bearing.

Or.....call and ask the rebuilder what course of action you should take, since it is their warranty that you may need to rely on down the road.

Well...I really don't want to deal with the rebuilder...(it's a long story).

The engine is not in the car so your idea of unbolting the tranny and lifting it and unbolting the axle tube sounds like a possibility.

I'll wait and see if any other suggestions come in.

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

Did the video say WHY the cage is supposed to be to the transaxle? Anytime I've ever reused that style of bearing, I've installed it the way it is in your trans. There shouldn't really be any issue either way because the gear oil is on both sides of the bearing. However, the source of the gear oil is from the transaxle up the tube, so I would leave it the way it is so the balls get the most exposure. As far as the bearing being crooked, there is play in the bearing, and the bearing fit in the tube isn't a press fit, so it can move around. Try test fitting one of the backing plate caps without the backing plate to see if the cap will draw down equally. I'd put it together with the bearings orientated as is.
estilholliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

I ran into this when I was doing a refurbishing on my rear axles. unbolted the axle tube retaining plate from the tranny and that allowed enough freeplay of the axle tube to use as a sort of slide hammer to knock the bearing off enough to get behind it by other means.

Or after unbolting axle tube retaining plates, use a soft mallet to tap the axle tube with bearing outwards, then tap axle tube back in leaving the bearing out by itself to be able to pull off from behind.
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

Thanks for those suggestions.

As far as "Why" it supposed to be oriented with the seal on the inside the video really doesn't say. He just says the seal should be on the inside.

I also agree that it's an oil bath. When I think about it almost seems like the open side should be towards the tranny so the oil can fill the bearing.

I'll keep you guys up to date as to how I move forward.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

Just dont pull on the axle or you risk having the fulcrum plates slip out of position
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

Update

Okay, I got both bearings out. Both sound and feel like they have small rocks in them for bearings. I paid for a "Rebuilt" transmission and they used old, junk bearings. I have ordered new bearings from JBugs.

I found I was able to remove the plastic seal easily with a metal pick and all it is, is a plastic cage that has 8 pockets that the 8 balls snap in to. So, if you ever need to remove a bearing that has the seal on the outside it is easy to remove the seal and replace it if you plan on re-using the bearing. I removed the bearings by using the "Vise grip and brass mallet method"

As far as "Why" the seal is supposed to be towards the tranny...I have no idea. I can see the balls can easily get oil form either side. Shocked

Actually, it really isn't a "seal" it's just a cage to hold the 8 ball bearings equally distanced apart.

Now, after seeing the condition of these bearings it really makes me wonder what the rest of this "Rebuilt" transmission is like.

Oh....here's the good part...this company brags that every transmission they rebuild is installed in a real car and driven to check everything out. These bearings and axles are "Bone Dry" plus one bearing was cocked and never seated…???????

Note: Okay...as to the above statement....I accept the builders statement about the tranny being tested with modified axles which would explain the dry bearings in the swing axles. Also I verified that the tranny was filled with fresh, clean gear oil and later drained leaving residual oil.

Last edited by Denny B on Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

Hey man, looks like you got it out! Great job!

Any shop who chooses to use previously used parts to rebuild with should always stand behind their work and their decision to use previously used materials.

When I worked in an ACVW independent garage, we were not allowed to use “rebuilt” parts. The owner had a golden standard for parts, either refurbished or new, and always the better of the two depending on availability.

Would love to know who you purchased from, as all of us are in this boat together and have to rely on the vendors out in the marketplace to have quality stuff. No one here wants to buy crap like that, ever. Was it a big builder or some small shop you knew of? Curious.

Regardless, we all need to remember to check vendor reviews and then do our own due diligence when talking with these vendors.

Sorry you got stuck with the job of changing out axle shaft bearings after paying someone else to do it!

Hope everything turns out good!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
estilholliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed.... Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Just dont pull on the axle or you risk having the fulcrum plates slip out of position

^^^^^^
That is a true story. Sorry I forgot to mention that. It slipped my mind because when I used this procedure I was actually disassembling my tranny and it was all coming off anyway.

But hey, with the axle assembly halfway apart such as necessary to replace wheel bearings, having fulcrum plates fall off wouldnt be a very difficult situation to correct at that time. Its when all of it is assembled into the tranny, retaining rings all the way out to the backing plate and brakes, is when having fulcrum plates fall out is a bugger.

Have fun. Working on these cars is my getaway from the world.
estilholliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

Denny B wrote:

this company brags that every transmission they rebuild is installed in a real car and driven to check everything out. These bearings and axles are "Bone Dry" plus one bearing was cocked and never seated…

What a great way to be able to call BS and actually be 100% sure of it.

Might I ask who these guys are? Adding to my list of businesses to avoid...
Denny B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

Any shop who chooses to use previously used parts to rebuild with should always stand behind their work and their decision to use previously used materials.

When I worked in an ACVW independent garage, we were not allowed to use “rebuilt” parts. The owner had a golden standard for parts, either refurbished or new, and always the better of the two depending on availability.

Would love to know who you purchased from, as all of us are in this boat together and have to rely on the vendors out in the marketplace to have quality stuff. No one here wants to buy crap like that, ever. Was it a big builder or some small shop you knew of? Curious.

Regardless, we all need to remember to check vendor reviews and then do our own due diligence when talking with these vendors.

Sorry you got stuck with the job of changing out axle shaft bearings after paying someone else to do it!

I purchased this from one of our well respected rebuilders on this forum.

How do I get to "Vendor Reviews"....I don't see a link for it.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

Denny B wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

I purchased this from one of our well respected rebuilders on this forum.

How do I get to "Vendor Reviews"....I don't see a link for it.

buyer and seller feed back forum...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

But please post the name here if you dont mind. It is also good to copy the feed back to the vendor, so they can respond, or at least it may change their behavior. Really bad vendors often shoot there own foot when they respond to negative feedback, further validating your claim!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

Hi Guys!!!

The rebuilt transmission came from me at MOFOCO. First, the buyer is quite upset at the time it took to get a complete transmission(35 working days from the date of the order to shipping) which had 3 weeks of holidays in it. Even though I apologized immediately through email, offered a $250 credit to order any extra parts needed, he has continued to pound the keyboard about how awful I am. Life is not perfect, especially when rebuilding 50+ year old products, and I AS ALWAYS stand 100% behind what I do. If anything is unsatisfactory and needs to be replaced, I have a one year, unlimited miles warranty.

Now, as for the specific issues described above, I will always use a good use German axle bearing over a new Chinese bearing. I heard the bearings spin myself before they were installed and they made no noise. If he wants new ones, I am happy to send them free of charge. Second, we do not test the full unit. The transmission itself it tested and then the axles are installed. Mofoco is still the only company in the world that rebuilds transmissions and installs them in a vehicle. The builder drives it, the supervisor drives it and I drive it before we ship it out.

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer or anything else I can do.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

I bought a rebuilt IRS transmission from MoFoCo last April, and it was delivered promptly and has been fine. I understand that swing axles are different though...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

Denny B wrote:
1965 Beetle, stock transmission.

According to the "Bug Me Videos" the rear axle bearings are supposed to be installed with the sealed side towards the transmission and the open side (balls showing) towards the wheel. Unless these bearings are sealed on both sides, these bearings are installed backwards.

I have done a search on our site and found many old posts about how to remove them.....but, these bearings have the seal on the outside so I can't get a puller in between the balls or vise grips on the outer edge to try the "Pull and hammer method".

I think the real reason and only reason is that what you have discovered but not explained in the Bug Me Video. VW I believe had a proper narrow and long bearing puller for the rear bearing which relied on getting the legs of the puller onto the small radius part of the bearing without putting undue strain on the bearing. If the seal was there you couldn't do it without removing and damaging the seal.

It is sort of counter-intuitive to put a seal on the side that is providing the majority of the lubricant, but then again the German engineers were smart. The seal on the inside probably stopped excessive splash from the transmission getting onto the balls themselves but still provided just enough lubrication.
estilholliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
we do not test the full unit. The transmission itself it tested and then the axles are installed. Mofoco is still the only company in the world that rebuilds transmissions and installs them in a vehicle. The builder drives it, the supervisor drives it and I drive it before we ship it out.

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer or anything else I can do.

This is not judgement, criticism, or anything of the sort... but I am curious how your company tests the transmissions without installing and running the full unit on a vehicle? I would assume that a transaxle acts and performs drastically different when driven under full load of a vehicle, rather than only hooked to an engine without axles and just run through the gears (which I am assuming is what your tests consists of?? Please explain your procedures as well)

Thanks.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

estilholliday wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
we do not test the full unit. The transmission itself it tested and then the axles are installed. Mofoco is still the only company in the world that rebuilds transmissions and installs them in a vehicle. The builder drives it, the supervisor drives it and I drive it before we ship it out.

This is not judgement, criticism, or anything of the sort... but I am curious how your company tests the transmissions without installing and running the full unit on a vehicle? I would assume that a transaxle acts and performs drastically different when driven under full load of a vehicle, rather than only hooked to an engine without axles and just run through the gears (which I am assuming is what your tests consists of?? Please explain your procedures as well)

Thanks.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. We install each transmission in a vehicle and actually drive it up and down the street checking upshifts, downshifts, no grinding, no popping out of gear and no leaks. we have a special set of axles that has CV joints on the wheel end and swingaxle axle ends welded on to the other end that goes in the transmission. When we sell a complete swingaxle, we install the axles and tubes after the test drive. Same thing if we sell an IRS and you buy axles, the tranmission is not tested using the new axles, we use our test axles.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

I know Roy already stated it....but I attest to his statement. I ALWAYS use good used German bearing before putting in inferior Chinese bearing. There looks to be nothing wrong with your rear axle bearings. I'd even send you Chinese bearings in exchange for your German ones.
The bearing shop I use won't even stock Chinese bearings anymore. They do have Japanese bearings (Koyo) which I have used on several occasions in transaxles and front drums with great experiences. But they aren't cheap...
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear axle bearing help needed....Update #1 Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I know Roy already stated it....but I attest to his statement. I ALWAYS use good used German bearing before putting in inferior Chinese bearing. There looks to be nothing wrong with your rear axle bearings. I'd even send you Chinese bearings in exchange for your German ones.
The bearing shop I use won't even stock Chinese bearings anymore. They do have Japanese bearings (Koyo) which I have used on several occasions in transaxles and front drums with great experiences. But they aren't cheap...

Nor is taking a transmission back out and redoing the work due to worn parts or poor Chinese parts.

I'm also an advocate of reusing the original VW parts if they are still good and in spec. I removed my rear bearings out of my bus to clean and repack them. I would not be surprised if they are the originals. Made in Germany with the right bearing company name that I can't think of. They were cleaned spotless and were found to be absolutely perfect. I gladly repacked them and reinstalled them.

I'm not saying anything in regards to this thread situation. I always recommend folks "cry" once at the cost of the new good part before wasting hours trying to fit a low quality part that fails quickly, if it works at all.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: