Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Beetle Exhaust Modifications for use on Bus Engine
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Stock Beetle Exhaust Modifications for use on Bus Engine Reply with quote

I want to stay stock as I like the preheat for my modified stock single carb & stock air cleaner, but I wanted to expand upon some stock exhaust tweaks by following in the footsteps that others have done to use a stock beetle exhaust on a bus engine. This is all based off of the discussion from this thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=100

Based on what other have already done (1970fun, aeromech. at least), I liked the idea and wanted to do do the same for an application for my early bay bus engine. As detailed in the above thread, guys are getting better performance and flow from a stock exhaust by using T3 one-piece dampner/tail pipes backwards to fit the two beetle exhaust outlets. These T3 parts were used to get the exhaust fumes out into the slipstream for buses so exhaust fumes don't get sucked back into the bus.

I had the last post in the above thread, but wasn't getting any responses regarding whether there would be any advantage to modifying the two exhaust outlets by removing the stock 1-3/8" OD pipes and welding in say 14-gauge 1-3/4" OD outlet pipes to accept a 1-5/8" OD T3 one-piece dampner/tail pipe to slip in backwards (to the new 1-3/4" pipes welded to the stock exhaust outlet openings). I figure that is an avenue to handle the exhaust outlet side to accept the one-piece T3 dampner/tail pipes with more flow. Final connection would be done by using flanges welded on for the connection from tail pipes/dampners to the exhaust.

Concerned that this effort is not worth it because expanding to 1-5/8" on the outlet side for my application is a moot point because I am sticking with the stock heater boxes (1-3/8"). Staying stock because I like heat in my bus and the stock heater boxes are known to be much better than the aftermarket performance heater boxes with wider ODs.

So the ultimate question I have is: Is it worth it to go through all this to expanded the diameter on the outlet side of the exhaust if my heater box connection is going to remain stock?

My concern is that the exhaust system would no longer be balanced with the different outgoing diameters. But I am happy to undertake this effort if I could gain better flow & performance (exhaust going on an 1800 DP, 74mm Cheater Cam). I know a simple solution is to go with a performance exhaust, but I plan on staying as close to stock as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Beetle Exhaust Modifications for use on Bus Engine Reply with quote

Bumping this post.

Recently installed my new engine in my bus and this is the last hurdle (installing my modified Type 1 exhaust).

Doing the final tailpipe connections and was still pondering the modification described in the original post, but was not sure if it is a good or bad idea.

Default plan is to connect the tailpipes with a set of cut pea shooters as others have done when going with this modified type 1 exhaust setup in a bus. This would keep the connection at the tailpipes at 1-3/8" OD which would match the heater box and cylinder head connections.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: