Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone running rear Type III drums on their Thing?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Anyone running rear Type III drums on their Thing? Reply with quote

I currently have the 181 drums, and am considering going to the Type III to actually make use of wider shoes.

I was wondering besides backing plates, hardware, shoes and drums, is there any mods that need to be done to the rear Type III drums to make it work (eg like snout cut down or spacer used)?

Does this conversion effect the mounting of the wheel pushing it inward or outward in comparison when using the stock 181 rear drum?

I know it is pretty close when you lie a 181 rear drum and a Type III drum side by side as far as mounting area since the 181 drum is already wide (but only uses type 1 shoes) where the Type III drum uses much wider shoes for greater stopping power. I know the snout on the Type III drum is much longer too.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running rear Type III drums on their Thing? Reply with quote

A few thoughts from a Thing guy who is still using the stock 14 inch wheels:

The front brakes do most of the work in stopping the car.
Converting the front brakes from the stock drum brakes to discs will make the greatest contribution to improved braking performance. The stock drum brakes perfectly adjusted and in perfect condition cannot match the stopping performance of front disc brakes.

I only mention this because the rear brakes’ function, as a percentage of stopping power, might not warrant the effort you are contemplating.

There is only one front disc brake conversion kit that is compatible with stock Thing 14 inch wheels, the CSP kit. While it is marketed as “made in Germany”, some of the components are not made in Germany. The kit is a little expensive, and although it might be the best available, it’s not perfect.

If you are willing to switch to 15 inch wheels, there are many more options.

There is a variety of brake kits available (I would look for a kit that uses VW calipers and pads); a wider choice of wheels and and especially a wider choice of tires (14” tires are getting “rare”).
If, in changing to 15 inch wheels, you were to also switch from five lug to to four lug, there would be some additional advantages.

First, and relating to your post about Type 3 drums, the late Type 3 rear drums are separate from the rear hubs. This is a much nicer arrangement for servicing the rear brakes, as there is no need to remove the big axle nut to remove the drums.

Second, the four lug wheels are “hub-centric”, with a round hole in the middle so they can be balanced by “anybody”.

Third, the four lug wheel use M14 lugs instead of the wimpy M12 in stock form.

So think it over, and do your research. Check out “Kubelmann’s” writings on this topic.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running rear Type III drums on their Thing? Reply with quote

I am looking at wide 5.

My current 181 rear drums are nearing their end so rather than buying aftermarket 181 drums which are heavy and do not have the surface area for stopping like the Type III drums I was contemplating making the change.

I was just wondering if mounting the Type III backing plate and drum moves the wheel in or out and by how much, and if the Type III drum needs the snout turned down or extended with a spacer.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone running rear Type III drums on their Thing? Reply with quote

The type III is a direct bolt up. You will need the backing plates on out. Were you planning on using the early 5 lug or late 4 lug? The 5lug is a one piece drum while the 4 lug is a two piece hub/drum. They are wider than beetle drums but the Thing rear drum is wider so plan on losing a bit of track width.

I’m running typeIII 4 lug rears & Ghia disc conversion on the front, the brakes are great but I’d like to get a more aggressive pad up front to reign in the larger diameter tires better.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: