Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reverse issue
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heyheyitsraay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reverse issue Reply with quote

Hey all. Thanks for all the help so far. Hopefully one day soon I could provide as much insight as I’ve received here.

But before that... here is my new issue

I start my 66 baja bug let it warm up for a a bit. Put the car in reverse. Ease off the clutch slowly. The car moves slowly in reverse and then...grinding. I push the clutch in. Let off the clutch slowly as before. Grinding.

It has as times gone into reverse after this process.

I fiddled with the coupler and it seemed to make a difference... seemed

Any tips
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse issue Reply with quote

IF gears are grinding when trying to put trans in gear, it is most likely a clutch issue and not a "gear" issue.... Try adjusting clutch a bit to get less free play....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Heyheyitsraay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse issue Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
IF gears are grinding when trying to put trans in gear, it is most likely a clutch issue and not a "gear" issue.... Try adjusting clutch a bit to get less free play....

Dale

Thanks dale. It’s in gear when I let off the clutch. I’m not ready to believe it’s a transmission issue Crying or Very sad
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse issue Reply with quote

Well... if you can confirm that the shifter is putting the trans fully into reverse (I mean ensure the linkage is set up properly) then it is absolutely a transmission issue. I've personally torn down/rebuilt about 7-8 transmissions and the reverse gear never looks nice. Never. The teeth on the small idler gear that engages the 1-2 slider ring teeth to select reverse are always rounded over and tapered from one side of each tooth to the other.

On the bus transmissions I have rebuilt that see semi-severe duty I fit the Weddle HD reverse idler and a Weddle HD 1-2 slider and set the reverse gear to engage as deep as possible without causing any other side effects.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse issue Reply with quote

Instead of the coupler, try adjusting the shifter base. To me it sounds like it's just barely engaging reverse, then when you put some pressure on it, it's enough to pop it out and grind the gears.
Heyheyitsraay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse issue Reply with quote

tripicana wrote:
Instead of the coupler, try adjusting the shifter base. To me it sounds like it's just barely engaging reverse, then when you put some pressure on it, it's enough to pop it out and grind the gears.

How would one adjust this?

I checked out the coupler again and it was off center from the bolt hole. When i unscrewed it and lined it up, the bolt went in at an angle. Even so it went right into gear. But perhaps the vibration/shifting moved it around because the screw was not secure to begin with?
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse issue Reply with quote

The shifter base has slotted holes for adjustment. When you move the lever back into reverse, it slides the rod forward. Since it might not be moving forward enough, loosen the two shifter base bolts, and move the whole assembly forward a bit.
Also like you mentioned, make sure everything at the coupler is tight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: