Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

I've been using this spreadsheet for several years now and I imagine other people could use it as well.

Here's a video on how to use it:
https://youtu.be/QOhhlTyQEzA

Here are the links - you can make a copy for yourself or download as an Excel spreadsheet:

Vanagon
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pMMYCy6wX5FshBqUJuP-kwZvyc1BntfMBsYAP84rGcE/edit?usp=sharing

Vanagon with Bostig Conversion
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1heomWs7H48_BWSMsB9HSUbGgobRakgfbbrcaN5NjD88/edit?usp=sharing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

Thanks. I just added this sheet to my van excel file
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

Great spreadsheet... but I find it in direct conflict with my preference of ignorance. Wink

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

Impressive work. My maintenance philosophy beyond cap, rotor, oil, belts, etc is to drive it 'til it blows; fix it and move on . . .

It's worked pretty well this long .. . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

Paper note pad
Plus
A Pencil or pen

And
A P-touch label maker to label mileage and date of items replaced affixed to the engine cover area.
A P-touch label on left top of windshield with next oil change mileage on it.

No Wifi needed, no computer crashes that lose all your information.

IMHO......
Way too much dependance upon computers today for simple tasks best done other ways.

Thanks for sharing though, I'm sure there are many out there who don't own a pencil today.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

I have a pencil but my hand writing is absolutely awful. I think the last time I actually wrote a paper for school was in 5th grade? After that it was all on the computer. Then the only time I wrote was shorthand for notes, then on tests.

In college (except for Calculus) I took all my notes on the computer. I was the only one of about 30 in my class - but then some followed. There are so many benefits of taking notes on the computer - but basically formatting, bold font, and increase/decrease font size on the fly was easy to learn, and super effective.

Someone asked to copy my notes, I'd just email them a copy. Also I stored my notes on the cloud - which allowed me to access those notes on my phone, tablet, desktop, and laptop.

Sorry to ramble on, but I'm all about the excel document. As long as you save it to a cloud (Google Drive), you can easily update this file on your phone in your van.

Imagine yourself sitting at your desk, about to place a van-cafe order. Well if your 'maintenance sheet' is in your van's glove box, you'd have to get up and walk to your van and get that sheet. Once you see what you need, you have to walk again out to the van to put it back up! We millennial are lazy Rolling Eyes
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

Okay I'll play. This is a huge WIP, its a bit sloppy, but here's what I'm working with. Also, I've saved some 'sheets' that are not mine.

You can label each item per category. Note the "Upgrade Types" sheet contains running totals and count of each category. You can add and modify categories here, you may have to extend the sum and count formulas.

I've been lazy and haven't updated this recently.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/142iTKI8YYILhB2gsyWS3YXp6aJkVU9yRHbey4R_drZQ/edit?usp=sharing
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

A P-touch label maker to label mileage and date of items replaced affixed to the engine cover area.

i like the idea that the engine cover becomes the at-a-glance log. brilliant.

BiWerks Design, LLC
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
djkeev wrote:

I also put the various belt sizes, tyoes of oil used, filter numbers, tire pressure, etc etc etc.

It's all covered by the mattress pad so isn't unsightly.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
djkeev wrote:

I agree. This is brilliant. My wife keeps a small pouch with all service records for her car in the glove box. It's easy for her to quickly review or even show to the mechanic.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Way too much dependance upon computers today...

I heard this somewhere. Wink Laughing Wink

— Colin Chapman
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I also put the various belt sizes, tyoes of oil used, filter numbers, tire pressure, etc etc etc.

It's all covered by the mattress pad so isn't unsightly.

you have a copy of your "bentley 2.0" in there too?

BiWerks Design, LLC
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

A spreadsheet is perfect for record keeping. I keep my critical stuff on a personal cloud so I can get the right filter/wiper blade/etc at the parts store when the steal the lookup machine.

Ive gotta draw the line at a video on how to use a spreadsheet though.

Laughing

Quote:
There are so many benefits of taking notes on the computer - but basically formatting, bold font, and increase/decrease font size on the fly was easy to learn, and super effective.

Those benefits are somewhat offset by the fact that you retain less information and process it more poorly than those who take hand written notes. We see this profoundly in science.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

Yep.

See Kamzcab's signature. Computers make people dumber.

— Colin Chapman
westydriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

Nice work OP, appreciate you sharing. Easy to access with an iPad at all times. Easy to read and work with.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

It's really a personal preference and I agree that you do absorb more information by writing while creating the notes. However if you're gonna spend some time afterwards looking at the notes, which I usually did, then its a decent alternative.

I personally felt that by typing the notes I was more 'active' and alert. I looked at it more as a game to get a great amount of information down.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

I replaced the capacitors in my clock but never thought for a nanosecond to record the date and mileage of when I did it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

I still write a daily activity journal (clients, expenses, notes) which gets imaged and pdf to the electronic version. Its amazing how much more I remember from notes I wrote

It is not a generational thing. Its a brain function thing. If it is complex, to-be-processed-type information, the act of using complex motor skills forces the brain to assimilate the information in an advantageous way.
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Paper note pad
Plus
A Pencil or pen

And
A P-touch label on left top of windshield with next oil change mileage on it.

No Wifi needed, no computer crashes that lose all your information.

IMHO......
Way too much dependance upon computers today for simple tasks best done other ways.

Thanks for sharing though, I'm sure there are many out there who don't own a pencil today.

that is the purpose of computers to relieve people of the more mundane task and allow them to focus on issues that computers cant do. my parents honda civic keeps track of most issues and logs them in the ecu or cpu so they know when to check things and when they should be maintenanced and displays on a screen with mileage etc. my parents are not computer literate and are in their 90's so they really appreciate the system. as well as most people who dont care to maintain records.
1990 vw automatic camper
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Maintenance Spreadsheet for Your Maintaining Pleasure Reply with quote

I'm not against computers, I own several.... too many actually.

I am also irritated by them at times, boot times, slow behaviour, crashes, freezes, etc.

For mundane items like when you changed your oil, it really is NOT worth the aggravation.
Make sure you have a good digital connection, click on the App, wait for it to open, scroll down looking for the line you need....... or, glance up at the left upper windshield and see that you have 1,000 more miles before your next oil change is due.
Lift the rear mattress and see that new belts were put on 5,000 miles ago, etc etc etc.

Each tool in my tool box has a use. Some of those tools are better suited for one job than they are for another.
My computers have uses for sure, this just isn't one of them.
And then when the entire system crashes or gets hacked? Now what?

For me, with my experiences, I really prefer to simply use the printed word, not the digital words.

Others feel differently than I...... good for you!
Heck, I still use PAPER maps!!!.

So very yesterday........

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: