Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

syncro TDI = trans death?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

hp = (Tq[ft.lb.] x rpm)/5252

Engine 1 makes 150hp @ 3200 rpm, so (150 x 5252)/3200 = 246 ft.lb.

Engine 2 makes 150hp @ 4800 rpm, so (150 x 5252)/4800 = 164 ft.lb.

A geartrain isn't exposed to hp, it transfers torque. Torque determines geartooth face pressure and bearing loads.

Rpms determine surface speeds on gear faces and in bearings, and lubrication quality by secondary effects. Surface speeds and bearing loads at lesser pressures become marginal factors with sufficient lubrication. Gearface pressure is a lot harder to mitigate with lubrication.

To evaluate a geartrain's capacity as a function of hp is not a useful basis for comparison. Look at the torque, that's the primary factor, it swamps all others.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:34 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caravelle c
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

Double post

Last edited by caravelle c on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
caravelle c
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

A friend of mine here in Germany is rebuilding 2wd-, auto- and syncro transmissions.
He said that just TDI powered Vanagons are destroying the gearboxes that much.
It's all about torque, especially the torque peaks!

In a TDI it's common you have torque peaks of 500-600Nm in a split second. Even when the data sheet reads: 300Nm at 1500-3500 rev/min.
zuhandenheit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

I run an AAZ and am wondering, with some of you, about the extent to which these TDI concerns apply to the IDI.

I have a Giles performance pump, intercooler, and run 15-18 psi. I wouldn't be surprised if the power output is higher than a stock TDI. However I have less low-rpm torque than a TDI with equivalent HP.

Should we expect an IDI to put equivalent stress on transmissions, relative to power?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

If you produce the same power at the same rpm, then the torque output is the same and in that case I would expect the trans to see the same abuse.

If you produce the same power at a higher rpm, the torque required to produce that power is reduced and consequently the stress on the trans is reduced.

Comparing engines of similar displacement and similar bolt-on components, IDI engines typically produce less torque for most of the torque curve but the TDI torque curve drops off sooner so at higher rpms the IDI engines will produce higher torque than the TDI's. Stock TDI engines are all intercooled which increases torque throughout the entire curve. Most stock TDI engines have been fitted with VNT turbos which typically produce boost at lower rpms and across a larger rpm range than similar wastegated turbos, adding to the low-end torque.

So... all that in mind, generally the IDI engines are easier on transmissions because generally they produce less torque and produce peak torque and peak hp later in the curves. Whether one engine is specifically harder on the trans than another depends on how those specific engines are set up.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

What tencentlife wrote applies to your case. The higher running rpms of the AAZ means less torque on parts of the tranny at the same road speeds compared to TDI.

It is simple math as he shows. Gearing too tall and keeping in a tall gear at high engine loads means higher stress and less lubrication, at the same time. Of course with fewer combustion events to make the same amount of HP means each combustion event must be stronger, so more stress again with less lubrication.

So running at high torque and low rpm pounds the tranny and it doesn't live as long.

Mark

zuhandenheit wrote:
I run an AAZ and am wondering, with some of you, about the extent to which these TDI concerns apply to the IDI.

I have a Giles performance pump, intercooler, and run 15-18 psi. I wouldn't be surprised if the power output is higher than a stock TDI. However I have less low-rpm torque than a TDI with equivalent HP.

Should we expect an IDI to put equivalent stress on transmissions, relative to power?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
hp = (Tq[ft.lb.] x rpm)/5252

Engine 1 makes 150hp @ 3200 rpm, so (150 x 5252)/3200 = 246 ft.lb.

Engine 2 makes 150hp @ 4800 rpm, so (150 x 5252)/4800 = 164 ft.lb.

A geartrain isn't exposed to hp, it transfers torque. Torque determines geartooth face pressure and bearing loads.

Rpms determine surface speeds on gear faces and in bearings, and lubrication quality by secondary effects. Surface speeds and bearing loads at lesser pressures become marginal factors with sufficient lubrication. Gearface pressure is a lot harder to mitigate with lubrication.

To evaluate a geartrain's capacity as a function of hp is not a useful basis for comparison. Look at the torque, that's the primary factor, it swamps all others.

^^That is a pretty awesome post.^^
Engine1 and Engine2 are very appropo "over-engining" choices.

The transaxle was sized for the 2.1 WBX with appx 120 (?) ft lbs.

Think of gearface contact of "246 ft-lb" with and without contamination.
Think of gearface contact of "164 ft-lb" with and without contamination.

The smallest particles (black dust) are many times bigger than the oil film thickness, so dust = metal-to-metal. At 246 ft-lb you will generate lots more dust. At 164 you make more dust too and need to get the sh*t OUT as often as possible.

Suffice it to say that to even have HOPE of the transaxle lasting with a big engine - you need to understand and adjust for two things.

1) Understand that your transaxle will wear in relation to the amount of torque that passes thru it. Torque is hard to comprehend, cuz most people only have a slot for HP in their brain. But I hope the Torque example above helps. So what to do? Don't ask the trans to pass more torque. Try to drive the same speed as a WBX would have taken you. If you even remember those days.

2) Everyone can comprehend that more power (torque or HP) will wear out the transaxle faster. It's OBVIOUS. Thats just how it is, we all know it. What you need to add to your understanding is: What is wear? Wear is loss of metal in your bearings and gears. Your gears and bearings are getting smaller. The metal they lose is now "lubricant contamination" and all contamination begets MORE contamination, accelerating the wear process. You need to adapt your (over-engined) maintenance program to get the sh*t out more often.

There are many other contributors that you have less control of but they are gonna fook with (deplete) your trans.

1) new part quality being lesser than OEM.
    2) the remaining life of the "old parts" re-used in your trans (90% are old ? ). Especially if their previous life was running in their own barf for 10, 20, 50, 90,000 miles
    3) rebuilder's skill, understanding, and goals, and integrity (for the trans you are running)
    4) the customer's $$$ expectations and goals (as expressed to the rebuilder at time your trans was rebuilt) And choice of rebuilder too.
    5) actual understanding of what driving styles are hard on a transaxle
    6) and howbigga frickin engine did you put in the dang van? Did you put a big chip it too?

There are so many intertwined factors its really hard to say "TDI = trans death" because every trans is at a different stage - but the torque is a huge factor that's certainly exacerbated by the other factors. None of the other factors HELP - they ALL deplete - where deplete = contaminate lubricant sooner. And you have factor upon factor upon factor. The ONE action you can choose that doesn't DEPLETE is the REMOVAL of the lubricant contamination.

It doesn't have to be expensive or difficult or deplete your wallet. Cleanliness far surpasses oil brands. If you can't keep your specialty oil clean, it cannot prevent the metal-to-metal; thus your $$ oil is will DEPLETE. In which case cheap oil was the better option, provided you actually change it. People don't like to hear that but it's true. Better quality tools don't make your van last longer, it's how they are used ---- ENTIRELY. Its how you use your oil. Do you continue to use it after its contaminated?

DkoeSyncro your trans running ~300k and "making a little noise" is a "true survivor!" No doubt yearly oil changes extended the life. I bet more frequent changes would have helped further, especially towards the end while the parts were shedding MORE metal. But man that's a good long run. Biggest problem I see is re-running those ~300k gears and stuff. How close to the end are they? When will they start shedding even more metal? Sadly it's the moment they start to turn again. Which part will be the worst one that sets your new oil change cycle? What else can you do? You can't buy all new parts and they aren't OEM. So you do what you can.

Keep a light foot on the gas.
    Keep lubricant clean.
    Put a small engine in.

Prob 2 out of 3 is all you can do (plus fingers crossed).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

Pixie dust.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

most often applied to cranks and journals but I see this as relevent in the loads presented to high loading transaxles.

Oil SHEAR in the mainshaft bearings and gear mating surfaces..

heavy loads, low rpms and high torque push the oil out of the way, creates more friction and generates 'pixie dust' which compounds the issues.

for more info on oil shear
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/effects-of-shearing/

https://www.truckinginfo.com/154928/the-lowdown-on-the-new-low-viscosity-oils

again just IMO, from an uneducated poorly informed fella.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
loads, low rpms and high torque push the oil out of the way, creates more friction and generates 'pixie dust' which compounds the issues.

Pretty sure Pixie dust refers to additives of imaginary benefit, not contaminants of obvious detriment.
There exist genuine EP (Extreme pressure) additives that are proven to help.

Other additives I'm not so sure about. Moly additives are good for sliding in the R&P, but not so great for rolling contact like gear faces and ball bearings. So they are genuine, but the benefit does not solve the situation at hand. Perhaps after the gear bearings are loose and gear faces are sliding (an old trans), then Moly helps?

I'm no expert.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Gearing too tall and keeping in a tall gear at high engine loads means higher stress and less lubrication, at the same time.

No, I didn't mean there's less lubrication at lower rpms. What I meant was in a simple boundary-lubrication model, at higher rpms there is a lessening of lubrication quality overall, mostly due to centrifugal slinging and shear/temp affecting the oil's film strength.

But, there are also elastohydrodynamic lubrication effects at sliding and rolling gear and bearing interfaces, which if they're similar to those effects in engine bearings, would be improving with rpms, increasing the separation between gear teeth especially.

So within the kind or rpm ranges we're talking about, I think the overall reduction in lubrication efficacy and wear prevention would not have a linear relationship with increasing rpm, such that if you double the rpm the efficacy would be half.

But the increases in gear face and bearing reactive loading are linear with respect to increased torque.

So in my examples above, the higher rpm 150hp engine is applying 2/3 the torque to do the same work. The question then is if the lubrication regime is 1/3 less effective at 4800 vs. 3200 rpm. I personally don't think it is, and by cooling and point distributing the oil, that reduction could be largely eliminated.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
But the increases in gear face and bearing reactive loading are linear with respect to increased torque.

Not so sure about that. The oil film strength is sufficient to keep the parts separated --- up to some amount of pressure. If you exceed that pressure, the separation collapses.
Perhaps into a puff of smoke (& blackened oil). Shocked

Cooling the oil increases the film strength, a "manual goal" for what specialty oil does chemically. But how much better can specialty oil maintain film strength under heat? My guess is that cooling "far surpasses" the possible contributions of specialty oil. I'd like to see some data if anyone can find it.

Certainly point lubrication can be improved, and film strength by adding 'systems'. A slightly stronger trans simply allows a slightly bigger engine. As does an improved maintenance program.

Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

zuhandenheit wrote:

It is noteworthy that the IDI engines have lower instantaneous torque peaks in the power stroke as compared to direct injection engines. VW tried to mitigate that slightly in the AHU and ALH with the "pilot injection" concept, (which was mainly implemented for cleaner burning) but the instantaneous torque peaks are still higher than in the IDI engines.

The IDI concept essentially meters instantaneous peak torque on the power stroke by the size of the pre-combustion chamber's discharge port. The net effect is a slower pressure rise once injection begins, and also a longer burn, contrasted with DI engines in which the combustion event completes far more quickly.

Measured engine torque is an average over the two revolutions in the four-stroke cycle. "Instantaneous torque", by contrast, is what occurs when the twisting force on the crankshaft is at maximum. The peak torque in the DI engine is far higher than the peak torque in gasoline engines or IDI engines. The instantaneous peak torque point on the power stroke on the DI engines delivers almost a hammer blow to the transaxle. Obviously, lower throttle settings on the DI engines produce lower peak torque, which may explain why Waldi gets good life out of his diesel Vanagons - - presumably, he drives conservatively.

The transaxles in TDI conversions in Vanagons, I think, will benefit greatly from using dual mass flywheels as Andy Bees has done in his unit. A heavy flywheel is also an option, but not as protective as the dual mass flywheel. These DMF units do have a limited useful life before their protective "power pulse cushioning", properties diminish.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

Well, the DMF is heavier than a SMF such as the G60 which also uses a 228mm clutch disc. And, the SMF is substantially heavier than the OE flywheel with the 215mm disc.

So, I suppose a DMF, using a sprung clutch disc, would be the best off the shelf choice.

My tranny was subjected to all those flywheels in reverse of the order I listed, with the DMF being in place for probably less than 10k miles of the total 82k miles since I built the tranny.

By the way, I have changed the oil in my tranny numerous times with most of the changes in the first 15 to 20k miles and most recently when I installed the DMF..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
tencentlife wrote:

Not so sure about that.

If you quote someone, please comment on the thing you're quoting, and if you disagree, make sure your disagreement is with the thing you quote, instead of wandering off on some tangent. Your apparent disagreement in this case is with a self-evident fact.

ianNJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

Super interesting. Thanks guys and the OP. I recently shipped my van down to get a TDI common rail. The trans was the question on what we’re going to do to it. The trans is currently with Matt Steedle. He has been fantastic to work with so far, way better than the other couple companies I talk to. The other company is pretty much expected me to tell them what I wanted. Matt actually helped me work through what I wanted, what he thought I might need based on the horsepower and torque. It was decided we’re going to do a full build on the trans including ring and pinion equally spaced out gears aluminum parts etc. etc. We are setting the gear ratios for my current tire set up and the fact that most of my driving is going to be in town’s highways and potential start and stop traffic on highways. No rockclimbing for me ...

SODO- basically your post was what Matt had to say that there are so many individual variables that are never talked about. Like the folks that say the TDI burned up their trans but they never change the oil and it had 240,000 miles on it before they ever got the new engine ...

90 GL Frankenstine w/Boxeer 2.0 TDI CR, Peloquin TBD
RIP - 2003 Eurovan

Instagram @ian.Surfside

*if you known someone that struggles with addiction let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Sodo wrote:
tencentlife wrote:

Not so sure about that.

If you quote someone, please comment on the thing you're quoting, and if you disagree, make sure your disagreement is with the thing you quote, instead of wandering off on some tangent. Your apparent disagreement in this case is with a self-evident fact.

I read it wrong (the quote). I read it as "oil film strength" and I then addressed oil film strength. Agreed that what you wrote is correct but in re-reading it I'm not sure how that's relevant. My mistake in relegating it to referring to the oil-film (per the subject).

If you disagree with someone please address their "error", instead of wandering off on some tangent discrediting other parts of the post. The reference to the quote is in error, but the post is relevant.

IanNJ thass what I'm talking about.
TDi is not trans death, but factor upon factor upon factor (and almost all negative) contributes to trans death. Remove (major) factors, and it could last longer. About the only factors that can be removed are lead-foot, lug-foot and contamination. But they are reduce-able.

tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

On the TDI, how about installing a larger turbo so the boost comes in later in the RPM range?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

Assuming an eTDI, a turbo swap would be the hard way to do it. The turbo boost pressure is fully computer controlled and adjusting the map is easily done by any tuner. Reducing boost and/or fuel for any given rpm range is easily doable.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

If I do decide to do a diesel swap, it will be an M-TDI AHU.

Would this 20/52 spool up higher in the RPM vs a stock turbo?

Maybe a bigger "laggy" turbo would be easier on the trans?

https://www.idparts.com/garrett-2052-turbo-p-2597.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: