Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

syncro TDI = trans death?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

levi wrote:
I seem to remember reading that the power delivery from a diesel engine to the transmission is more angular on a graph, in effect like a jackhammer, whereas gasoline engines deliver smoother, more gradual impulses to the transmission.

If so, and I'm not saying it is, then 200 lbs torque from a diesel would obviously have a different impact upon the transmission vs 200 lbs torque from a gas engine

Even a very small difference in power impulses would have a cumulative detrimental effect, like tapping a boulder a million times with a small hammer vs steady pressure.

I'd like to see this graff. Often times while talking to folks who are my local resident experts about my wants; I get a fast arm repeatedly tapping me on the shoulder "this is a gas engine" then I get a firm stiff arm and finger with more of a angry old man kind of shove polk in the shoulder "this is a diesel" Or I get the finish hammer vs. a sledgehammer beating a door down!
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

If you put a TDI on a worn out transmission or one that hasn't been built correctly, it will trash it. If you abuse the van, it will trash the trans. If you drive it kindly, it will be kind to you.

I'm a little over 40k miles on my trans so far, and it's not like I'm very easy on it. But I don't all out abuse it.

I'm also still looking for the graph that shows the diesel pulses, but here is what it actually looks like. The black trace shows the RPM change in one cylinder, at idle, in 35 milliseconds. The vertical rulers show one cylinder, and the horizontal ruler shows the high and low RPM. I changes 157 RPM from when the combustion happens at TDC to when the piston is at BTDC. It doesn't appear too sharp to me, but I need to get more data on gas engines to be able to compare it.

This is a 2012 Jetta with a 2.0 CJAA common rail TDI.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

hans j wrote:

This is a 2012 Jetta with a 2.0 CJAA common rail TDI.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think the newer common rail engines would have a smoother combustion stroke than the rotary pumped TDIs that are typically used for Vanagon swaps due to the multiple injection events with a newer common rail engine, is it possible for you to test an older rotary pumped TDI?

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

I should be able to. This measurement is a new feature I found out about recently. The ALH and AHU don't have cam position sensors, but I do have a peizo pickup I can use on the injector line or injector to pick up when it fires. I'l see what I can come up with.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

Hans,
Thank you, I was going to post something up about you and your van/driving style. I'll I really have is SS, you mentioned before that this was an unchanged gasser box. You may have changed 3 and 4 but I honestly don't remember. Are you also using a stock ALH?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

In regards to transaxles, here is a modified TDi transaxle. (2wd only.)
You'll have to do the math on the gear ratios, don't think there is going to be a problem with them. If the guy can do the injectors right I'll assume he does know what he's doing.
I just happened to run across it while looking at his injectors.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2212488

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
In regards to transaxles, here is a modified TDi transaxle. (2wd only.)
You'll have to do the math on the gear ratios, don't think there is going to be a problem with them. If the guy can do the injectors right I'll assume he does know what he's doing.
I just happened to run across it while looking at his injectors.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2212488

Those things are such a neat option, with one fairly major downside for many of us.

The output shafts aren't centered on the transaxle, from the factory, they sit below center. So when you flip the thing, they are now fairly high. The result is that the engine/transmission combo has to sit several inches lower than they otherwise would in order to have your CV joints work.

And that of course kills ground clearance. I suppose in a Vanagon, that may well result in not having to decide between figuring out how to lay the engine over at 50 degrees (more difficult for newer TDI motors) or raising the rear deck.

If someone were to figure out a magic solution for the CV joints/ground clearance issue, I'd be all over one of those things.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I should be able to. This measurement is a new feature I found out about recently. The ALH and AHU don't have cam position sensors, but I do have a peizo pickup I can use on the injector line or injector to pick up when it fires. I'l see what I can come up with.

At low fueling times, the rotary pump will inject all of the fuel in a single short injection event. Assuming a well set up tune/engine, at high fuel times, the rotary pump injection event will closely match all the time available for the fuel to burn. Because of that, I imagine the graph of idle would be much more sharp than the graph for full fuel. That's also the reason why pumps with larger diameter plungers have quite a bit more of the 'marbles bouncing on a plate' sound. For a decent graph, use full fuel.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
Hans,
Thank you, I was going to post something up about you and your van/driving style. I'll I really have is SS, you mentioned before that this was an unchanged gasser box. You may have changed 3 and 4 but I honestly don't remember. Are you also using a stock ALH?

Mine is the full aluminum trans from SA, with a taller 3/4, and now with a circulating pump, filter, and cooler. My ALH only has slightly larger injectors, Sprint 520 I believe, the rest is stock. 28" tires as well. I'd do it again and have all the parts to build a couple AHU Tdi's, but honestly the 1.8T is pretty appealing and cheap! I don't know if I could get 27 mpg out of a 1.8T, but possibly pretty close with a conservative driving style.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:
Hans,

Mine is the full aluminum trans from SA, with a taller 3/4, and now with a circulating pump, filter, and cooler. My ALH only has slightly larger injectors, Sprint 520 I believe, the rest is stock. 28" tires as well. I'd do it again and have all the parts to build a couple AHU Tdi's, but honestly the 1.8T is pretty appealing and cheap! I don't know if I could get 27 mpg out of a 1.8T, but possibly pretty close with a conservative driving style.

I have a full BHW swap, I'm concerned it might be to much. I also could go an "M" VE TDI. This last fall we we're in Idaho camping in 6° weather and snow. Our friends have a BEW Syncro and espar. The van drove so nice and the espar kept them cozy all night. Since then I've been diesel envy.

I also feel like I can refine my ABA but it's not a diesel!
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
hans j wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:
Hans,

I have a full BHW swap, I'm concerned it might be to much. I also could go an "M" VE TDI. This last fall we we're in Idaho camping in 6° weather and snow. Our friends have a BEW Syncro and espar. The van drove so nice and the espar kept them cozy all night. Since then I've been diesel envy.

I also feel like I can refine my ABA but it's not a diesel!

You can always add that diesel espar heater with it's own fuel tank if you decide to keep the ABA. How much diesel does an espar consume anyway?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

you can also always pay a few more $ and get a Gas (Benzine) Wabasto

cheap chinese heaters are not a reason to spend thou$and$ on an upgrade
you can add a turbo to the ABA to help with altitude anemia of naturally aspirated engines.

the only 2 benefits of TDI are TORQUE (which we're discussing you'll have to manage) and Range on the fuel tank.. they do get more MPGs that does equate to greater fuel range..
but they are NOT cheaper $ per mile by enough to ever recoup your invested costs. ok.. someone will pull number from their ass and tell me around half a million miles.. whateves Rolling Eyes

know WHY you want to upgrade not just because..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

the only 2 benefits of TDI are TORQUE (which we're discussing you'll have to manage) and Range on the fuel tank.. they do get more MPGs that does equate to greater fuel range..
but they are NOT cheaper $ per mile by enough to ever recoup your invested costs. ok.. someone will pull number from their ass and tell me around half a million miles.. whateves Rolling Eyes

know WHY you want to upgrade not just because..

I agree as of today ........But, days past, well, the Excel Spreadsheet I kept on my 2000 Jetta TDI for 371k miles (until I gave it to my son) is quite revealing, both maintenance and fuel.... everything else such as taxes, insurance, batteries, washer fluid, detailing, tires, etc., is about the same for all vehicles. A year ago, I purchased my brother's well kept 03 Jetta at better than a fair price. The engine had 302k miles on it. With proper maintenance, it should make it to 500k!

I'll take the two advantages of the TDI and go with them. There's a good number of folks who've not had a bad experience with a TDI trashing the tranny. And, we don't know all the details of those who have had a bad experience (all those little untold tidbits, they are important).

I did the TDI conversion for a number of reasons. Although I've experienced a few set-backs along the way that were not the TDI's fault, the 82k miles have all been great.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

I think when I was still in the dreaming phases of building my TDI Bus, I would think about the potential for fuel savings as a way to somehow justify it all.

But being honest, there is no way in a million years I'd ever drive it such that I'd have any notion of saving money with it.

So instead I've chosen to think of it as a learning opportunity and a chance to put together something that most other people won't ever do. Having the extra range is nice, and so is the Espar D2 heater. So is the power, when it isn't eating up the transmission.

I told Paul I was afraid that I was actually driving it kind of like how Jack described a couple days ago. His response was, "Yes, you were .. The mainshaft bearing retainer (and the ball bearing itself) couldn't take the pounding."

I thought I was driving it nicely to help save things, but I guess not! Oh well, live and learn I guess. (I can't say too much more than that, or I'll get upset!)

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

Just a thought for how to put more power through a VW transaxle, go with more cylinders and then detune the engine to limit the maximum torque. By going to a 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder gasser you might be able to run the same torque as a TDI, but by having 50-100% additional but smaller pulses, the tranny might be able to handle the same torque just fine, plus you will be able to get more HP by throwing her down a gear and revving the engine when passing or on long pulls.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

Well...??? I like the TDI we have a 1Z/AHU/AFN hyprid. This has been my wife's Daily for 10 yrs. We have 425k on it, the engine has been perfect, everything else that makes up the car has been replaced or rebuilt...the engine though, regular maintenance!

I've been around diesels my working carrier, from heavy equipment, trucks, to large generators. Attending syncro events, watching overlanding videos all over the globe. It's usually a diesel tractoring along effortlessly. I suppose it's just the exposure. I'm a poster child of "easily influenced".

The past few days I've been really looking around, reaching out to folks in OZ, SA and Europe, although nothing has been backed with proof only opinions of those who've observed diesels can be mean to transmissions. The folks in SA are demanding of vehicles. I like to use them as the example. A PD engine was to much, both eating gearboxes and breaking mounts. A tuned AFN was also to much but considered to be the max! For us in the states that's a stock ALH w/ a little wiggle room.

Another consideration, and not to derail the content but the shipping industry is supposed to be switching to ulsd in 2020. According to articles; Most refineries are not set up or lack the ability to refine enough fuel to meet this demand. Speculators say that diesel prices at the pump will go up significantly. My gut is also thinking that post diesel gate/EU trying to bar the diesel that the US will impose higher taxes on it.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:

I think the newer common rail engines would have a smoother combustion stroke than the rotary pumped TDIs that are typically used for Vanagon swaps due to the multiple injection events with a newer common rail engine, is it possible for you to test an older rotary pumped TDI?

That's the exact question I was asking earlier in the thread, hoping someone could compare the common rail to the PD or earlier engines.

Quote:
Just a thought for how to put more power through a VW transaxle, go with more cylinders and then detune the engine to limit the maximum torque. By going to a 6 cylinder or 8 cylinder gasser you might be able to run the same torque as a TDI, but by having 50-100% additional but smaller pulses, the tranny might be able to handle the same torque just fine, plus you will be able to get more HP by throwing her down a gear and revving the engine when passing or on long pulls

I'm running a perfectly balanced 3.3L flat 6 gas engine (SVX) with a "detune" in the form less than ideal compression. It's plenty hard on the transmission if I want it to be and the "custome detune" makes it drink fuel even worse than usual!
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

Thoughts...

1. Is there any feedback from FAS TDI conversions relating to transmission destruction?

2. 1.6l Diesel engines in the Vanagon.... anyone know of high miles, say more than 150k on the OE tranny without destruction?

3. Would the Diesel Tranny be stronger built than the Gasser version? Would it be the lower gearing? If so, how does that protect from a beating? Smile

Or, is all this discussion, just that, a discussion with no real definitive proof? (Keep in mind, if you've read all the posts, there are folks who have no tranny issues [thus far] and there are reports of trannys gone bad with conversion in-line 4 gassers.)
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
Thoughts...

1. Is there any feedback from FAS TDI conversions relating to transmission destruction?

2. 1.6l Diesel engines in the Vanagon.... anyone know of high miles, say more than 150k on the OE tranny without destruction?

3. Would the Diesel Tranny be stronger built than the Gasser version? Would it be the lower gearing? If so, how does that protect from a beating? Smile

Or, is all this discussion, just that, a discussion with no real definitive proof? (Keep in mind, if you've read all the posts, there are folks who have no tranny issues [thus far] and there are reports of trannys gone bad with conversion in-line 4 gassers.)

2. yes, over 50% of stock vans get this miles. Depends on usage, and if there are not parts breaking due to bad construction, like synchronizers 4-5 or R-1.Most of the known breaking parts are modified now.

The proof is, you can burn your main bearings with a stock JX within 75k miles, and they can last with a TDI 150k.
vw4wd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: syncro TDI = trans death? Reply with quote

I think a key factor with the 1.6 JX engine is that it has relatively low power compared to the TDis and was designed to operate at higher revs.

Doesn't that pick up on a lot of what's been said - use more revs and rely less on the torque?

1990 Transporter syncro camper with 2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: