Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1982 VW Rabbit Diesel project car
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aimk1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: 1982 VW Rabbit Diesel project car Reply with quote

Bought from my neighbor for 500 bucks.
Got it running going to a shop for tune up.
If u guys know a good place to buy parts let me know thx.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1982 VW Rabbit Diesel project car Reply with quote

Price is a terrible start when buying parts [or anything else]. Start with brand/quality. Once you know what the good parts are, then find a good business to deal with. Sometimes local is the best place. Need a head gasket? Do you really think it will come flat after it is delivered?

Business' need to make money. Good business' take care of their employee's and may be a bit more in pricing. Techtonic's Tuning in OR is a pretty good company. I deal with them with my business.

If there is a local VW auto repair business, ask them if you could buy parts from them. They may say no, but it's worth asking. If you spend enough money with them, it's a good possiblity they'll take care of you when you have a problem you cannot fix.

Stay away from Meyle and URO parts. If it is your only choice, then maybe by two. Their rubber and electronic parts are not that good. OEM brands have already been proven to be good.
BerkeleyBusMama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1982 VW Rabbit Diesel project car Reply with quote

That all sounds like the same advice my kid’s getting for his 1981 diesel rabbit restoration project. I wonder how your project is going? I know we’re currently looking for a front driver side bumper endcap, and interior stuff like a dash and sun visors and seat fabric (his is the orange/cinnabar). Hard to know where to start, although electrical and brakes seemed like priorities Smile.

“Weird Microfest Lady”
’85 Westfalia camper w/ Subaru 2.5l EJ25 and syncro conversion
(& Casita “Westy In-law Unit”),
’89 tintop 7 seater, and
’89 syncro Doka
plus teen’s ‘81 diesel Rabbit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: