Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

Another shot of the pop top before the tent went on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

It’s been a while so I thought I had better put something up to let you folks know that I’m still pressing on with this project. Last weekend I installed a RMW swing away for the spare tyre.

In spite of taking a fair amount of care when fitting the outer bracket and marking the holes to be drilled I still needed to enlarge some of the holes so that the bolts would line up.

By days end though I was pretty happy with the end result

Now I am just waiting on getting the rear bumper back from the powder coater, and then I should be able to get it registered and on the road....standby for the big reveal
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

I like this orientation that you chose for the rmw spare tire mount. I mounted mine opposite here in the states (which basically ends up being the same) and its nice when you are pulled over on the side of the road and don’t have to worry about the spare tire, swing away opening into traffic. On the passenger side here in the states it also counteracts the ole Westy lean. Of source i have a multivan so never had to deal with the extra weight of the kitchen. I love what you did with the underside of the pop top. I was just looking at a couple of mildew spots on mine and thinking about re flocking or re lining it some day. Your build is coming together!
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
I like this orientation that you chose for the rmw spare tire mount. I mounted mine opposite here in the states (which basically ends up being the same) and its nice when you are pulled over on the side of the road and don’t have to worry about the spare tire, swing away opening into traffic. On the passenger side here in the states it also counteracts the ole Westy lean. Of source i have a multivan so never had to deal with the extra weight of the kitchen. I love what you did with the underside of the pop top. I was just looking at a couple of mildew spots on mine and thinking about re flocking or re lining it some day. Your build is coming together!

Thanks Nick, I am tantalisingly close now but finding it hard with some competing priorities. After the bumper goes on I can start the “engineering” process, which will be the last step before I get “plates” and can legally drive it on the road. I need an engineering ticket because I have modified the van from a TinTop to a PopTop. The original certification of the van in Aus was only as a 2 seat delivery van and I have now installed a fold down bed/seat in the rear so that also needs to go through the engineering process so that I can legally carry up to 4.

I don’t have a camper fit out yet, this will come in phase 2, then Subie conversion in phase 3. As you can see I still have a bit of work to keep me “occupied” but I will have the van on the road in the next month or so.

Hope all is well over your side of the planet.
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

Nice work on the RMW swing. It’s not an easy one and I don’t envy you installing it with that fresh paint. I had to enlarge a few holes and cross threaded a few nuts and bolts on the install so it seems like yours went pretty well Laughing Cool
Good to see the RMW swing spare tire hanger is adjustable now.

What does the “engineering ticket” involve? Do you take it to a federal/state/territory technician who certifies the work?

Appreciate the updates OzzieJo.
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

erste wrote:

What does the “engineering ticket” involve? Do you take it to a federal/state/territory technician who certifies the work?

Thanks Erste the “Engineering” process in Australia means that I need to get an accredited engineer review and attest to the safety/structural integrity of the modifications. In my case he will be especially interested in making sure that I have welded the poptop roof in a “tradesman like manner” ie I don’t think that my welding skills would have been satisfactory. He will also take a close look at the rear seat to make sure that it has been installed correctly and all of the restraints are approved for use in accordance with Aus design regulations.

The state motor vehicle registration agency provide an information sheet regarding what particular vehicle modifications will require engineering approval/certification before registration can be granted. In my case welding in the poptop roof was classified as a major structural modification, and the rear bed/seat is not VW factory fit.
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

What an epic build! Looking forward to the big reveal.
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

Schnippzle wrote:
What an epic build! Looking forward to the big reveal.

Thanks
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where you can get the “pinch molding” that goes on top of the trim that covers the upper bunk ledge like the one shown below.

Thanks

Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

There’s a company called Trim Lok that makes a lot of things like this. I only see black on their site but if you search beige Trim Lok it looks like it’s pretty common in the marine industry.
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
There’s a company called Trim Lok that makes a lot of things like this. I only see black on their site but if you search beige Trim Lok it looks like it’s pretty common in the marine industry.

Thanks Mate, I will give them a try..... much appreciated
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

Hi there, just wondering if anyone know where this piece of trim goes. I’m assuming that it was located just below the upper bunk support but I’m not sure which side, and I’m not sure what it was holding.

Cheers

Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

When the upper bunk is folded out into the sleeping position, I think this is the front edge.
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
When the upper bunk is folded out into the sleeping position, I think this is the front edge.

Thanks, but I already have that piece fitted to the upper bunk. When I de-constructed the Westy Roof before transplanting it back on the new van I un-screwed this piece from up near the upper bunk supports, I’m fairly sure that it comes from the drivers side.
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

That looks like the track that the spice rack or gutter as I call it hooks into. I think there is still one in my 84 parts Westy if you need a pic of where it mounts.
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

jordauto wrote:
That looks like the track that the spice rack or gutter as I call it hooks into. I think there is still one in my 84 parts Westy if you need a pic of where it mounts.

That makes sense, when I received the donor roof it didn’t have the spice rack installed but this piece was still attached. If you can send some pics that would be great. Also if you are able to take some pics of how the spice rack slots into this piece.

Thanks so much
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

OzzieJo wrote:

That makes sense, when I received the donor roof it didn’t have the spice rack installed but this piece was still attached. If you can send some pics that would be great. Also if you are able to take some pics of how the spice rack slots into this piece.

Thanks so much

that trim piece is mounted with the side with the extra 90deg bend on top
the spice rack just tuck up into there and hangs against that lip, before you bolt the ends of it in. sort of like those garage shelf organizers you sometimes see, or the little metal hooks on super market shelves.

awesome build! lurking here keeping up on updates

i had the same trouble fitting the RMW rear swingaway but after much hole adjusting really happy with how sturdy it is.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

Heres what I've got. This is in an '84 and I think this early style spice rack was used through '85 and then starting in '86 it would have the newer style spice rack with the wood trim on the underside. The track is riveted to the wall starting about 30mm or 1 3/16" back from the panel joint in the pic. The spice rack support track is mounted directly below the "J" trim that holds the panel above the spice rack up to the upper bed area. The upper "J" track for the panel is riveted right along the horizontal joint. You can see the rivets in the pic. I want to thank you for documenting this amazing build so well. I'm also in the middle of a tin top to pop top swap with an '84 pop top going onto an '85 passenger van. I have a full Westy interior and appliances to go in as well. I took a similar approach as you did but decided to cut the roof skin just in front of rear luggage rack mounting holes and then cut the rear of the roof skin at the rear of the roof instead of going into the rear hatch opening. Your detailed pics really helped seeing whats hidden under the roof skin and made the job easier for sure.
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

Thanks Jord … it is all clear to me now. I think that I will try to re-manufacture the later model spice rack for my van.
OzzieJo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Build thread: Aussie Westfalia Conversion Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

awesome build! lurking here keeping up on updates

Thanks, in spite of the infrequent posts of late the build is still progressing, I just didn’t want to bore you folks with the range of minor (thankfully) mechanical issues that are coming to the fore now that I am getting this old bus back on the road after a 10-12 year “rest”.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: