Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

I have an 85 Westfalia and the spring that holds tension on the latch that holds the sliding door open broke and I haven't been able to find a replacement anywhere. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? I'd even just buy the whole latch assembly (part 251-843-740a) if needed but I haven't found that either. Otherwise, any creative ways to replicate the spring? Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

How hard did you look?

https://gowesty.com/products/sliding-door-latch-spring-replacement-kit
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

I guess I appreciate you trying to be helpful, despite the condescension, but that's not the right spring. Thats for the mechanism in the back of the door. I need the one that is attached to the body at the back.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

Not being condescending. It would help if you'd mentioned you looked in all the usual places. . .

~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

All due respect, I literally said I've looked everywhere and even included the part number and a picture. If you actually read what I wrote instead of trying to ridicule me you'd know this isn't the right part. In the future you might just say "my bad" and move on instead of doubling down.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

My hobby is hunting down NLA parts for these vans and have brought some back from the Netherlands. I have found what you want, but will let them go. Happy hunting.

~ Captain Ron ~
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

pretty sure i just found one in classifieds here in a couple minutes of searching

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

Thanks, I saw those. I was hoping to avoid paying $35 for a used spring but maybe that'll be my only option. GoWesty used to sell them new but they no longer have them.
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

gbrady28 wrote:
Thanks, I saw those. I was hoping to avoid paying $35 for a used spring but maybe that'll be my only option. GoWesty used to sell them new but they no longer have them.

there's a whole assembly for much cheaper than that with the right search words

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I have the entire assembly, a few of them, sitting around. Not sure if year matters? Mine would be '87. PM me, pay shipping its yours.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

GreggK wrote:
I'm pretty sure I have the entire assembly, a few of them, sitting around. Not sure if year matters? Mine would be '87. PM me, pay shipping its yours.

Excellent! Someone stepping up to help a fellow Samba member instead of "you don't know how to search" Rolling Eyes

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
gbrady28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement spring for sliding door holder latch Reply with quote

GreggK has been super helpful and it's greatly appreciated. My sliding door will once again stay open soon!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: