Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElSketchmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

Hi all - my '73 Westy is still on it's original paint and has spent the last year in the salty, windy, harsh sun of SLC Valley. It's in fantastic shape, coming from California and Montana, but after a year in AK (with some time on the coast) and this last 18+ months in the SLC area, those little bits of superficial rust are telling me that it's finally time to spiff up and protect the metal before anything gets too deep.

I've searched around a bit, but struck out on results...does anyone have a link for a thread that would guide me through what I need to know? For instance, how far do I really need to take this job? Is it essential that I strip and sandblast, grind away, etc? Or with only minor surface rust, am I ok to slap the cheapest fix that I can find on there? Budget is of concern.

And lastly, does anyone out there have a recommended service in the area? I'm also very open to doing any of the work that I can myself, or working alongside any of you who my have a shop and the patience for me to help out.

Thanks in advance!
009 Distributor with electronic ignition
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

Quote:
Budget is of concern.

1st quote I had from a reputable shop locally here was $20K. Better sit doqn and fine tune your expectations for that bus before you go exploring further.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Budget is of concern.

1st quote I had from a reputable shop locally here was $20K. Better sit down and fine tune your expectations for that bus before you go exploring further.

Was that for a bus that needed metal work? What did your $20K estimate include (roughly)?
ElSketchmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Budget is of concern.

1st quote I had from a reputable shop locally here was $20K. Better sit doqn and fine tune your expectations for that bus before you go exploring further.

Wow...waaaaaaaay over the top. I did get a quote last summer for 700-1k, depending on whether or not I was concerned about removing a couple of small dents. I guess I'll probably be looking these guys up.

What does this 20k job include, a new body?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

ElSketchmobile wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Budget is of concern.

Wow...waaaaaaaay over the top. I did get a quote last summer for 700-1k, depending on whether or not I was concerned about removing a couple of small dents. I guess I'll probably be looking these guys up.

Better look that shop up carefully, and their ratings. I kinda suspect the amount of materials to do the job won't even be covered by that price. Ask Skills what is involved. He does it for a living. FWIW it cost $1500 to the insurance company just to paint a pre-primed bumper on a MDX I had a couple years ago, and you want to sand and paint a whole bus.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

ElSketchmobile wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Quote:
Budget is of concern.

$20k involves; disassembly, stripping to bare metal, fixing rust, priming, filling dents/imperfections, painting, buffing, and reassembly. Reputable shops are just that, they have a reputation. Excellent ones do excellent work. They’re not going to give you a low quality “discount” paint job to save you some money if they’re putting their name on it. Modern catalized paints can easily be $1000+ a gallon for just the color. Most shops have labor rates of $80-$120 an hour. Can you get a paint job, for say $5-$6k? Sure. Will it look like a 1/4 the quality of the $20k one? Yes. If you want it pressure washed, masked with vasoline on the windows, and sprayed with Tractor Supply enamel, by all means go with the $700-$1000 shop. Sorry I don’t have a location suggestion for the op, but $20k isn’t as outrageous as most think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ElSketchmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

Well, let's just imagine for a moment that this is actually my daily driver that I've owned for 22 years and paid $100 for (yeah, that included the paint that was already on it). In that time I've driven this thing all over the American West, the Canadian Rockies, back and forth to Alaska, and lived in it for extended periods a number of times.

All told, I've done two rebuilds and recently had a replacement motor installed...a second set of carbs, a few brake jobs, etc. In the end, I'm still only around 10k into this rig over those 22 years...get the picture? There's no way that I'm going to drop that kind of cash for a restoration quality paint job.

All I really want to do is preserve the metal and freshen up a bit...definitely no cork-sniffing going on here.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

Anything less than $5k, and all the stuff coming through your paint now will be back in a few years, and you’ll be that much lighter in the wallet. It’s great you’ve only put $9900 into it in 22 years, but you’re not going to get done what you want done for $500-$1000. And anything worth while will have your vehicle tied up for weeks/months, so if it’s your daily, you’ll need to improvise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
you’ll need to improvise.

No kidding, with a budget like that it sounds like this is your best option: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271946&highlight=tremclad
If you want it done right so it'll look great for years your head needs to come out of your ass and realize it's the 21'st century, environmental laws have made paint very expensive, $3-5K for materials is nothing today, and the hours and hours of labor required to properly prep don't come cheap anymore either. Count on much more if any of those rust spots turn out to be more than skin deep (they always do).

You've gotten away cheap so far, now it's payback time.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

There is a huge range of quality and price in bodywork and painting from concourse level to just plain bad work. Any decent body shop will care about what your bus will say about their work when it’s out the door. I had this experience calling a local body shop on the phone. He didn’t want to paint a bus that I had prepped. At first I was pissed, but then understood. I think it’s one of those face to face things. They have to look at your bus, find out what you expect and decide what they can live with sending out the door. I did this years ago with the car when I was a student. The shop sent me home when I brought it in for paint and told me what I still needed to do. It came out great and we were both happy. A lot of shops won’t have time for this shit, but I’m sure you can find someone to work with you.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

ElSketchmobile wrote:
Well, let's just imagine for a moment that this is actually my daily driver that I've owned for 22 years and paid $100 for ( I'm still only around 10k into this rig over those 22 years...get the picture? .

I get the picture. you're a typical vw owner stuck in the 80's

so..22 years, 100.00 and "around" 10k...

you've put 459.09 a year into the bus WITH purchase price. or 38.25/mo for 22 years....

yea...put a 600.00 paint job on it. lets see it go another 22 months with it.

holy shit people need a reality check.....

run it to maaco for a "cave and pave" special. the "cave and pave" is knock down the high spots, pave over it with mud and spray testors model enamel over it. you may catch a Monday special and get it for 499.99

does that fit your budget and expectations?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

$20K was a very high quality almost show bodywork and paint. I found another shop after months of looking and the total was about $10K by the time we were done. You always find rust; there is no such thing as a VW bus without rust unless it was recently restored for a lot of money.

Good luck on finding a pair of shoelaces for $700 these days. Freaking set of tennis shoes are $150 these days.
ElSketchmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

No kidding, with a budget like that it sounds like this is your best option: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271946&highlight=tremclad

This is perhaps the most useful and in-line reply yet. However, I can do without the bits about my head needing to come out of my ass that most of you can't seem to resist.

If anyone has input or direction for an appropriate DIY guide for prep work, that would be appreciated.

It's great that some of you are into such high-end restoration quality work and have the means to afford it, but please do not use your interest and ideals as a bias against my thrifty preferences. I'm simply looking for information regarding what is actually needed to preserve and protect the metal. I'm not afraid of doing the grunt work and grinding away on my own, and I'm not worried about rolling with paint that lacks luster.

Again, there is nothing more than surface rust anywhere on the rig. Perhaps down the road I can consider going for a high-end job, but it's just not going to happen at this time. I simply want to stop the surface rust from progressing.

Thanks.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

you will be in for a reality check for materials alone....that's the point.

if you have just surface rust, buff the hell out of it and clear coat it...works well for the patina crowd.

or just touch it up and leave well enough alone. it isn't about having the means to do it, it's realizing the cost of quality and being able to have a bus look fantastic in another 20 years. materials, parts and labor are not ever going to get cheaper

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

There is tons of information on bodywork and paint prep on the internet, though I can't think of a specific place to sent you. As you probably already know, you can save a lot of money by doing metal work and prep yourself. having a nice coat of paint put on is kind of the easy part. Most painters can get good gloss out of a gun if they are doing it for a living. Don't do tremclad. Single stage urethane is a much better option.

A lot of times there is more work in the prep than expected. Surface rust often turns out to require welding. Replacing the window seals is also a good idea. There is often rust through in the window frames that allows water in to migrate and rust distant places. If preservation is your goal, then not doing this work makes no sense. I had the kind of respray you are talking about in the early 90's but left all the original seals which were shot even then. I couldn't figure out why it had rusted out in some of the same places I repaired until years later when I removed the window seals. Water moves in strange ways.

Seals and trim add a lot of expense and labor. The cab doors on their own are an ass ache. I could never afford to pay someone for the time I put into just one of them. But it's the same deal with preservation. Your time and money are wasted if water is still getting in.

I would ask around in your area, then check out a few of the recommended shops. I think it's still one of those face to face, word of mouth kinds of things.

Good luck with your bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

Quote:
about my head needing to come out of my ass

Your expectations were totally unrealistic, and you fight with those who tell you they are. Why do you do that? When the draft comes for the upcoming Civil War in this country the cost of a paint job is going to seem small in comparison.

If you really want a low cost paint job I would take a college extension course on body work.
ElSketchmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Quote:
about my head needing to come out of my ass

Your expectations were totally unrealistic, and you fight with those who tell you they are. Why do you do that? When the draft comes for the upcoming Civil War in this country the cost of a paint job is going to seem small in comparison.

If you really want a low cost paint job I would take a college extension course on body work.

Well, gosh...I guess you sure are setting me straight. Realistically, I know that I should expect no less on an internet forum, but please dude, just ignore me if that's your position. I'm not fighting with anyone by expressing my budget and expectations. Sorry, but I'm not a collector or bus snob, just a guy with an old car that he enjoys tinkering with.

You know, in a decent conversation one might come back with, "hey, sorry if the take your head out of your ass comment came across poorly, but I'm surprised by your lack of awareness..." Apparently I'm in the wrong place for that. Good call - let the flames rise high - before the whole shitpit goes to the dogs and the streets begin to flow with the blood of the non-believers (impending civil war draft relevant to a dirtbag not wanting to drop 20k on paint...really?), let's make the most of our egos and vanities embodied within our monikers and avatars. Whooohoo!

All you're doing is discouraging outsiders from participating in this forum and giving the "VW family" a bad rep.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

ElSketch: You have a PM.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

If you enjoy tinkering with your bus, why not enjoy painting it?

Check out the paint and bodywork forum , youll fond many have had success with the horror frieght hvlp system
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended Paint Job in SLC area (Ogden)? Reply with quote

The best thing you can do for now, is to wax the existing paint.

Any flagrant rust can be treated to STOP the rust for now, with a phosphoric acid or similar product. Dupli-Color Rust Fix is my favorite; but you can't just spray it on all willy-nilly. Rust has to be scraped, cleaned, and then the Fix applied. Wait 24 dry hours, and top coat it with a good automotive enamel, and you can get a decade out of it with no new rust coming back.

This was three or four years after a $10k paint job.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's that same spot, four years after I worked it:

The same paint job, different window, in 2016, six years after paint. Looks fine, right?

Wrong! Shocked The paint just flaked off in my hands.

I had the windows out again this year, and all the repairs are holding up. Point is, you can do a lot with a little, if you read the directions and respect the chemistry. But cheaping out on prep is the KILLER of paint jobs, and a total waste of money.

My favorite way to save on paint is to do the disassembly of the car yourself. This means removing all glass, door handles, interior, and anything else you don't want coated in overspray. And you WILL have overspray with any budget. Blank checks are good ways to reduce it…

See you on the road,
Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: