Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Golden Age of Muscle Cars..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

That is why so few of them are left, most handled and braked so poorly they ended up wrapped around a power pole. Especially after the owners jacked them up to put big pumpkins under the back! Shocked
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
That is why so few of them are left, most handled and braked so poorly they ended up wrapped around a power pole. Especially after the owners jacked them up to put big pumpkins under the back! Shocked

There's plenty of them left, they're just squirreled away in their own environmentally controlled showrooms awaiting their turn on the Barrett-Jackson circuit because they are worth more than most people's homes. Evil or Very Mad

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

After watching the auctions there seems to be way more 57 Belaires than were ever manufactured.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

Yeah.. its amazing whats still lurking in cellars ..

My neighbor had a 70 Superbird (green, 440 six pack, automatic, bench seat) he bought new... he would crank it up every month and do burnouts out the door. ..No nose no wing so looked like just any other redneck car.
I can still remember it coming out of the cellar garage door WTFO as his big game was how fast he could go from the back of the cellar and navigate through the doors..
Funny thing is..they used to simply call it "The Road Runner" just so nobody knew what they really had.. ..
It wasnt until I was walking around in the cellar with his sons when I tripped over a tarp which unveiled the nose and wing.. Shocked that it all came to light..

The cellar wall collapsed on it one rainy summer damaging the entire drivers side..
We tried to buy it several times.. Always NFS..

They sold it for a song at the beginning of the crazy number Mopar craze.,.

Its rumored to be stuffed back in another cellar.. somewhere.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
My neighbor had a 70 Superbird (green, 440 six pack, automatic, bench seat)...
..No nose no wing so looked like just any other redneck car.

Funny thing is..they used to simply call it "The Road Runner"

No nose, no wing then it was a Road Runner with a 440 Six Barrel.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

I have a 73 New Yorker 4 door with a 440 (weighs like 5500 lbs), and its fast! Mopar or Nocar. They are also just bad-ass in every other way, 500hp, bench seat,column shift, Am-8track. Good times for those of us that got to live it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Yes but no..
I realize that a Superbird is nothing more than aero package and streamlined Roadrunner,, but.. in this case.. the nose and wing were removed..placed under a tarp in the cellar so was a true Superbird. not a clone ... didn't ya even read my story??

It did not have ANY grille either.. it was the real deal... correct fender tag too.
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

I've got a '56international s-112 pickup, long bed..
rock solid body in the works..

The way the rest mods are selling, I'm looking at following suit with a hybrid build..
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I have a 73 New Yorker 4 door with a 440 (weighs like 5500 lbs), and its fast! Mopar or Nocar. They are also just bad-ass in every other way, 500hp, bench seat,column shift, Am-8track. Good times for those of us that got to live it.

My folks had a 68 Dodge Polara with a (comparatively) wimpy 383/2-barrel. That also was scary fast. I took it on a trip in High School towing a small tent trailer with 8" wheels. We had that thing over 100 mph in Nevada. (No speed limits back then.) Very stupid thing to do but my oh my it was fun!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

73 impala 303 or somthing like that , not fast but it sure was fun driving two livingroom sofas down the turnpike.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:

My folks had a 68 Dodge Polara with a (comparatively) wimpy 383/2-barrel. That also was scary fast. I took it on a trip in High School towing a small tent trailer with 8" wheels. We had that thing over 100 mph in Nevada. (No speed limits back then.) Very stupid thing to do but my oh my it was fun!

We had a '65 Polara station wagon with a 383... but some nut had put on a 3x2 carb setup (must have been an accessory manifold) and so it FLEW on the highway, getting under 10mpg when it did so. We called it H.M.S. Dodge because it was like a floating barge to drive.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

My parents had a 1972 Buick Centurion convertible with a 455 that my step-mother's father bought new for $5,000. She told a story of him out running the cops to the state line on one of their trips to Florida.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
My parents had a 1972 Buick Centurion convertible with a 455 that my step-mother's father bought new for $5,000. She told a story of him out running the cops to the state line on one of their trips to Florida.

1970 was last good year for factory horsepower with 455 unless it was stage 1 why? Because CR went from 10.1 to 8.5 to 1 horsepower and torque suffered greatly. Cars were de-tuned to meet emissions. Mid 70s was a sad time for Detroit iron. I owned a 73 Catalina with 350, poor thing was rated at 145 hp, yes it was a POS, they all were. Also had access to 71 and 73 Ford LTD 400CI. Again piss poor running. 75 Plymouth Valiant 225 slant six, slow but Indestructible. 76 Pontiac Ventura with 260v8, always felt lacking. The only bright spot I remember was a 71 Dodge Charger RT 440 magnum but it was also de- tuned from what earlier versions put out. Older brother driving 140 mph 2 lane blacktop with bias ply tires, I’m still scared. On top of all that we had to suffer through years of 55mph speed limit so I’m glad performance is back. As Tony Soprano used to say “What are you gonna Do?”
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

Sorry it's a little blurry, and it is 12 years out of date(!), but this chart shows how far we have come. Keep in mind this is while meeting increasingly stringent emission standards. Up to the early '80s, it was a downward spiral. Then we got cats and closed loop FI!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I drove my parent's '73 Buick Apollo (a Nova derivative but with a Buick 350 VCool, with the EGR bypassed but with the lowered compression. It still blew off Corvettes at stoplights until the late '80s; those poor Corvette engines were choked with ignition limiters, EGR, air pumps, low compression, lazy final drive ratios... it was really sad!

VW opened the gates in '69 with the Type 3's open loop EFI, then came lambda sensors and cats and away we went!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

I kind of disagree with that chart. look at any modern crossover/suv/truck today and we are no better off in terms of MPG's of (most) cars in the 50's-70's.

they did however get cleaner...

look at any car from the 80's to the early/mid 90's...cars got fantastic mileage. even carbureted vacuum hose messes from japan did very well. now that turbocharging is more mainstream it is amazing that we can get 200+ reliable hp out of a 1.8l 4 cylinder.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Superbirds & Daytonas where cool for stock car racers,
but driving a car with a sloping nose that sticks out more than the trunk did,
has got to be a major pain in the ass!
A green, 440 six pack, automatic, bucket seats Challenger or 'Cuda seams like a better idea.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

I personally like a classic 60's muscle car that has all this new technology bolted to it. A modern frame/suspension. One of these new monster crate engines and matching transmissions.

I will always have an affinity for the Steve McQueen 67 Fastback mustang. Bolt on modern, new suspension, (4) wheel disc brakes, 1000 hp crate engine with matching transmission, etc.. That's what would make my heart go pitter patter.

I'm sure it's been done already and it's the muscle car I'd want in my garage.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

To me scary fast is anything with poor handling and it is not really related to horse power. I have a 944 that feels rock solid at 120 mph and 140 hp. I also have a Subaru Forester with 246 hp that I have yet to take over 90 mph. Not because it is not capable but because the suspension is so bad that it scares the crap out of me. My Manx clone is scary fast at 75 mph with a stock 60 hp 1600 DP.

I guessing that is what you guys remember about the old muscle cars, the bad handling more than the power. My cousin spent 6 months in the hospital after loosing control in his 383 powered Fury III at 110 mph and cutting off two 50' high spruce trees 8' off the ground. That would have never happened in a modern muscle car!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
That would have never happened in a modern muscle car!

Sir Isaac Newton's First Law.. states otherwise.

Do stupid stuff in a car.. and there are generally consequences..

Usually and often edited
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Golden Age of Muscle Cars.. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
That would have never happened in a modern muscle car!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wral.com/news/local/story/9687375/%3fversion=amp
Nope, high speed & inexperienced drivers prove this theory wrong every time.

And even experienced drivers wanting to go out in a blaze of glory.
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/09/12/2-men-die-in-hellcat-crash-at-colorado-airport/

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: