Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

passenger side rear brake problem
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: passenger side rear brake problem Reply with quote

I recently replaced the rear wheel cylinders on my 69 squareback. after doing so I bled the brake system and adjusted the rear brakes accordingly. I haven't been driving it much since the weather here has been less than ideal but I noticed that when I do take it out that there is a dragging or sticking feeling coming from the rear. It would appear that the passenger side rear brake is tightening up as I'm driving it. today I had that brake adjusted to where it would spin 2 rotations while spinning it by hand. after taking it out around the neighborhood for 15 minutes I jacked it up and the wheel was tight. I couldn't move it Shocked

I'm planning on pulling off the drums next week (after a couple more storms pass) to take a peek but thought I'd check in with you guys for suggestions on what to look for.

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side rear brake problem Reply with quote

How old are you brake lines?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side rear brake problem Reply with quote

no clue. I've had the car for a couple years now and have no idea if the PO ever replaced em.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: passenger side rear brake problem Reply with quote

Could be the problem. Could be something else.

To help diagnose you could crack the bleed screw when wheel is locked up to see if it makes a difference or unlocks the wheel.
Dfasty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: passenger side rear brake problem Reply with quote

the soft lines have a date code on them.
If they are more than 10 years old they could be collapsing from the inside.
also check the pivots on the adjuster for orientation.
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side rear brake problem Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Could be the problem. Could be something else.

To help diagnose you could crack the bleed screw when wheel is locked up to see if it makes a difference or unlocks the wheel.

was able to take a look today. So the first thing I did was jack up the rear end and tried to give the passenger rear a spin. it almost rotated a full turn. I then pressed on the brakes and went back and I could barely spin it. did a couple more adjustments to where it would spin twice then pressed the brakes to the same result. it was tight. the soft lines definitely look old. I also cracked the bleed screw a little while it was tight and certainly did release it a bit was able to turn the wheel with ease.

DFASTY - what do you mean by check the pivots on the adjuster for orientation?

thank you both btw
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side rear brake problem Reply with quote

I think he means the angle of the slot where the shoe fits. If the adjusters are put in backwards, it can cause some symptoms.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But I think you proved it's the soft lines. Replace all four and never worry about this coming back.
benson_1331
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side rear brake problem Reply with quote

looks like the 2 hoses at the front are 355mm. Are the two at the rear the same size at 265mm?

I think I should also look at that adjusting to cover all bases.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side rear brake problem Reply with quote

I am almost positive I went to the shop and asked for bay window bus rear hoses for the rear...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side rear brake problem Reply with quote

Check with Jim Adney; he says he has all the right hoses, despite some misinformation about the hoses on the interwebs:
[email protected]
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: passenger side rear brake problem Reply with quote

For reference this is what my old hoses ending up looking like on the inside.

Yours are probably not this bad but close to it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: