Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Package trays?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StiffGizzard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Package trays? Reply with quote

Ordered an empi bamboo tray on amazon prime and was super disappointed with the quality.
A bunch of the bamboo sticks were broken where they lace over or under each other and it just looked like I could buy it at the flea market for $25 new

Was this like an old dried out unit, or is that just the usual for these trays?

Any other recommendations for trays? I’d love to have something there to put all my daily miscellaneous crap
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Package trays? Reply with quote

Don’t order Empi.

The ones you get from Wolfsburg West are supposed to be good. You can also search the classifieds for a Kamei shelf.
jjohnson67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Package trays? Reply with quote

New banbus ones are under 100 bucks. Even has the metal tag in the middle.
60BeetleBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Package trays? Reply with quote

I bought one of those also....junk.

Bought one of these instead. Love it.

https://shortysvw.com/products/beetle-map-tray
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Package trays? Reply with quote

Very interesting, and glad you are pointing out the poor quality. Years ago at a car show I saw one in a VW and decided to make my own parcel tray. Simple a 1/2 piece of plywood and hold stuff on it and nothing falls thru either.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pm me if interested.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Package trays? Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
Don’t order Empi.

The ones you get from Wolfsburg West are supposed to be good. You can also search the classifieds for a Kamei shelf.

Exactly- in that order. In my experience, once I've sprung for an aftermarket anything- a good original falls in my lap.

Metal trays are noisy but are obviously the strongest if you're stashing radios and books under there. I have to guess VW thought folks would throw gloves, a loaf of French bread and a newspaper under there- hence lighter materials.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Package trays? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Very interesting, and glad you are pointing out the poor quality. Years ago at a car show I saw one in a VW and decided to make my own parcel tray. Simple a 1/2 piece of plywood and hold stuff on it and nothing falls thru either.

Pm me if interested.

+1.

Me being me, before sending back that damaged tray, I would trace it onto a piece of wide-enough pine, and make the tray out of that. Cut, sand, stain, and varnish.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: