Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AM/FM Radio
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

This is the radio that was in my 74 super beetle when I bought it. Not sure if it the correct one for that year or not.

Anyhow it was not connected to any power supply when I removed it. Only connected to antenna and speakers.

My question is "Where might I find a power supply fitting that plugs into the back as does the speakers wires shown in the photos"? I have no way of knowing whether it will play or not. I also need tuner and volume knobs. BTW, the fuse is good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

If i had to guess, and it is only a guess but I have researched the Sapphires as I want another. I think it is some unknown radio with a Sapphire faceplate that happened to fit. My Sapphire XIX I used to have had power, ground and speaker wires only. no plugs as in your picture.
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

^^This. Saphire IX:

Sort of looks like you have a blaupunkt there.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

If you can provide pictures of all sides and back of the radio, someone should be able to tell you what radio you have. Normally car radios are labelled or stamped with a "chassis number" which can be used to identify the exact model.

If this is a picture of the top of the radio, it appears to be a Clarion RT-445C

shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

David_nc_72std wrote:
If you can provide pictures of all sides and back of the radio, someone should be able to tell you what radio you have. Normally car radios are labelled or stamped with a "chassis number" which can be used to identify the exact model.

If this is a picture of the top of the radio, it appears to be a Clarion RT-445C

It is on of the photos I took of the radio.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

Mystery solved.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

DeMinimis wrote:
Mystery solved.
So, any idea where I might find a power cable for it. Can't find anything on Clarion website.

DeMinimis
I Eat Glue

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

Not a clue, but have to ask why. Other than the face plate (which according to an online site is '68 era), I don't think there's anything worth saving. There are plenty of period correct radios out there. If that's not a big deal, decent modern head units are pretty cheap (a whole lot less headache than trying to source a plug). Good luck with whatever route you choose.

'78 SB CEII In Progress.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

you should not need the correct plug. the ternimals appear to be a standard sized male spade terminal. common sizes are 1/4 in., 3/16 in., 1/8 in. ( or metric equivelents) The spades on your Bug fuse box are 1/4 in. sized, see if that is the size, if not, then it is likely 3/16 in. or so. Hardware stores, auto parts stores, electric supply stores are sources for these terminals, your first job is to determine which size.

once you have the correct sized terminals, install them on the radio individually, no need for the big plug, which only serves as a convenient holder for all the wires.
helpful hint is to make sure the positive wires, if not all of them, have sheating covering the female spade end, some terminals are sold that are fully sheathed, on non sheathed terminals you can slip some heat shrink sleave over them. this will prevent a short in the event the wire and terminal comes loose.

So bottom line is you do NOT NEED that plug, simply use individual female spade terminals on your wires.

Bug On! With Good Tunes!

link to various size terminals..
https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-Connector-Terminal-I...&psc=1

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
you should not need the correct plug. the ternimals appear to be a standard sized male spade terminal. common sizes are 1/4 in., 3/16 in., 1/8 in. ( or metric equivelents) The spades on your Bug fuse box are 1/4 in. sized, see if that is the size, if not, then it is likely 3/16 in. or so. Hardware stores, auto parts stores, electric supply stores are sources for these terminals, your first job is to determine which size.

once you have the correct sized terminals, install them on the radio individually, no need for the big plug, which only serves as a convenient holder for all the wires.
helpful hint is to make sure the positive wires, if not all of them, have sheating covering the female spade end, some terminals are sold that are fully sheathed, on non sheathed terminals you can slip some heat shrink sleave over them. this will prevent a short in the event the wire and terminal comes loose.

So bottom line is you do NOT NEED that plug, simply use individual female spade terminals on your wires.

Bug On! With Good Tunes!

Thanks, I'll give that a try. There are three male ends. 1hot, 1 ground, and 1 ?

cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

Hazarding a guess, could be lights, tie into your dash lights?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: AM/FM Radio Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Bug On! With Good Tunes!

Thanks, I'll give that a try. There are three male ends. 1hot, 1 ground, and 1 ?

one wire maybe for the radio light, it is hooked to the same power source as your dash light power source. . If the radio light dont come on when the 12 volts is applied to the other two terminals, and radio switched on, then that is probably what the third terminal is for, if hook hook it to power and see if light turns on.

If you google search the radio by model and maker, you may get a diagram or other useful info.

Bug On! May the Light Brighten Your Dial!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: