Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:
morts wrote:
laneven28 wrote:
I have an unrestored May 1959 Cognac coupe that doesn't have a dash pad, and can't see any evidence it ever had one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Touche lanevan! I also have a 1959 cognac coupe (built 7 April, 1959 according to the birth certificate) and it doesn't have a dash pad or any evidence of ever having one either.

I stand corrected. Looking closer, it seems i do have the screws in place that once held a dash pad...

I believe those screw holes are for late 1959 alum dash trim that fit below the dash pad. Not screws to hold down a dash pad. One year only part.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
PFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

I’m one of the Team from Just Kampers and stumbled over this thread whilst looking for information on Denzel Engines I hope I can help clear up a few of the questions.
The Ghia was bought for 2 reasons, Mark was looking for a Low Light and another car to compete in historic Rally events when this one came up with the Denzel engine it was considered the perfect candidate.
We are well aware of most of the inaccuracy’s of the restoration the plan is to run the car for a few years then possibly carry out a full body of restoration. And correct some of the issues the car is a 59 model built in 58 I cant clear up the padded dash question but I can say there are no screw holes in the dash.

We have been through the car getting it ready for racing, upgraded the brakes to Porsche 356 with a dual master cylinder and used Porsche style 5.5” rims, fitted heavy duty roll bar, a steering damper, safety equipment etc. We also replaced the starter motor dynamo and wiper motor and converted it to 12 Volt so we could power the Brantz Rally Meter. The clock was swapped out for a rev counter the engine was gone through then Mark used the car as a daily driver and put over a thousand miles on in 2 weeks shaking out a few bugs and making certain it would be reliable.

We set off on Wednesday the 18th back to Italy to take part in the Gran Premio Nuvoari https://www.gpnuvolari.it/en-ww/gran-premio-nuvolari-edition.aspx You can follow our progress on our blog https://www.justkampers.com/jkblog/ or Face Book page https://www.facebook.com/justkampers
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

Oct 58 build date, no pad
Correct fabrics and heat seamed door panels.
I think I am going to take another shot at the seats and see if I can get them perfect. OCD Shocked
Cant afford the rubber mats
There are so many things wrong with the red car that 40k seems high with a regular 36hp as there are some dollars to be spent to make it correct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

morts wrote:
laneven28 wrote:
I have an unrestored May 1959 Cognac coupe that doesn't have a dash pad, and can't see any evidence it ever had one.

Touche lanevan! I also have a 1959 cognac coupe (built 7 April, 1959 according to the birth certificate) and it doesn't have a dash pad or any evidence of ever having one either.

I stand corrected. Looking closer, it seems i do have the screws in place that once held a dash pad...

1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
McFunzeepants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

Strange, my 10th of February 1959 (VIN#2282XX) has a dash pad, no retaining strip and the dash's sheet metal is shaped for a dash pad. No evidence of screw holes for the retaining strip, but there are for the dash pad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I've never driven a Pre A but heard they drove like crap. But hard to believe they drove worse than an oval Beetle.

I've driven a '52 356 but only for maybe 1/2 a mile.
It was on sort of crappy roads but it seemed to drive fine to me.
I'm pretty sure the owner had it in top mechanical condition.

I can't recall if it drove better or worse than an Oval.
I did own and drive an Oval for 6-12 months a very long time ago, I remember it driving fine.

I have a friend who has a '52 356 vert and a '52 356 Coupe...he drives them to vintage Porsche shows all over Europe. He wouldn't do that if they drove like crap I assure you. Smile

My crap comment has to do with handling. They are a shadow of what the later cars were in that department from what a friend and others have told me who have owned them as well as later A cars. Again, I've never driven one so I can't say. I do own several B coupes and they are fantastic, but that's comparing apples to oranges.
I have driven and owned ovals and they are very primitive compared even to a mid 60s Beetle. Braking and handling and power wise. That's why I never hung on to them.
Earliest Ghia I have had is a 1960 which was much more pleasurable to drive than a 60 Bug. I can't wait to drive my 56 nad see how it compares to an Oval.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
I've never driven a Pre A but heard they drove like crap. But hard to believe they drove worse than an oval Beetle.

I did own and drive an Oval for 6-12 months a very long time ago, I remember it driving fine.

I have a friend who has a '52 356 vert and a '52 356 Coupe...he drives them to vintage Porsche shows all over Europe. He wouldn't do that if they drove like crap I assure you. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

Started reading the article, thanks for the link.
Pretty cool, the real Mr Okrassa and one of the key early Porsche guys, so no doubt they knew what they were doing.
The Porsche had a 1300 version, rated at 45PS, the Okrasa engine about the same.
i bet a Ghia with an Okrasa would leave both of them in the dust!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
aerosilver wrote:
Headed to the UK, bought by the MD of JustKampers, will possibly be here in time for the Volksworld show.. (check JK's FB page)

Was Old Bug really trying to sell that car for $180k?
The FB page said they got it for a third less than what Randy was asking.

It was $85K on the oldbug site, I posted the link on page 1.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

If anyone find that article post a link.
A Pre A could have came with an anemic 1200cc engine I believe. I think you had the option of that and the 1300 and maybe 1500?

As I mentioned, a PDF of that Motor Klassiks article can be seen in the JustKampers.com article that I provided the link for above.

Here is a more direct link to that same PDF version of the Motor Klassiks August 1989 article ...

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https:...d-Test.pdf

Considering the fact that these Denzel engine parts are listed for sale right here on The Samba for $11k ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1990234 ... it seems reasonable that a complete running Denzel engine may be worth more than twice as much.
But then again those same Denzel parts have been listed for sale here for over two years now, so they obviously aren't any great bargain. Smile
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

aerosilver wrote:
Headed to the UK, bought by the MD of JustKampers, will possibly be here in time for the Volksworld show.. (check JK's FB page)

Was Old Bug really trying to sell that car for $180k?
The FB page said they got it for a third less than what Randy was asking.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
aerosilver wrote:

I don't have a FB account, but Google helped me find the JustKampers website.
Although I found no mention there yet of the Denzel powered Karmann Ghia, there was this link to an interesting story about how they picked up a historic OG Okrasa engine with the intent of installing it in a 1956 Oval to be entered in the 2017 Mille Miglia Rally.

It turns out they wisely had a newly built copy of that OG Okrasa engine made to preserve the actual "historically important" original, as they didn't want to be responsible for inadvertantly damaging it during the race.
More to the point, they go on to explain the reason they feel the original was "historically important" ...

JustKampers wrote:
The original engine was built to settle a dispute between two old friends about whos car was faster: A pre-a Porsche 356, or a VW Beetle fitted with an Okrasa race engine and ancillaries. The pair got their cars in order, and then hired out the Nurburgring for the day so that they could race and settle the bet.

When it was all over, the Beetle with the Okrasa engine was the winner! We’ve got a copy of the magazine article detailing the whole race here at JK HQ, and it’s a really interesting read (once you’ve translated it from German).

A PDF copy of that August 1989 Motor Klassik article is then thoughtfully embedded in the JustKampers article.

That article coincidentally provides a very interesting answer to my earlier question of how a vintage speed equipped Type I VW might compare to a Porsche 356 from the same era.
It also makes it clear that the staff of JustKampers has a keen interest in vintage speed equipment made for Volkswagen engines.
From that fact, we might conclude that getting their hands on the Denzel engine was the primary reason that they paid so much for a lowlight coupe with so many "incorrect" details.
It also begs the question of whether or not they intend to enter that Denzel powered Karmann Ghia in the next running of the Mille Miglia or another similar rally.
Think

If anyone find that article post a link.
A Pre A could have came with an anemic 1200cc engine I believe. I think you had the option of that and the 1300 and maybe 1500?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

aerosilver wrote:

I don't have a FB account, but Google helped me find the JustKampers website.
Although I found no mention there yet of the Denzel powered Karmann Ghia, there was this link to an interesting story about how they picked up a historic OG Okrasa engine with the intent of installing it in a 1956 Oval to be entered in the 2017 Mille Miglia Rally.

It turns out they wisely had a newly built copy of that OG Okrasa engine made to preserve the actual "historically important" original, as they didn't want to be responsible for inadvertantly damaging it during the race.
More to the point, they go on to explain the reason they feel the original was "historically important" ...

JustKampers wrote:
The original engine was built to settle a dispute between two old friends about whos car was faster: A pre-a Porsche 356, or a VW Beetle fitted with an Okrasa race engine and ancillaries. The pair got their cars in order, and then hired out the Nurburgring for the day so that they could race and settle the bet.

When it was all over, the Beetle with the Okrasa engine was the winner! We’ve got a copy of the magazine article detailing the whole race here at JK HQ, and it’s a really interesting read (once you’ve translated it from German).

A PDF copy of that August 1989 Motor Klassik article is then thoughtfully embedded in the JustKampers article.

That article coincidentally provides a very interesting answer to my earlier question of how a vintage speed equipped Type I VW might compare to a Porsche 356 from the same era.
It also makes it clear that the staff of JustKampers has a keen interest in vintage speed equipment made for Volkswagen engines.
From that fact, we might conclude that getting their hands on the Denzel engine was the primary reason that they paid so much for a lowlight coupe with so many "incorrect" details.
It also begs the question of whether or not they intend to enter that Denzel powered Karmann Ghia in the next running of the Mille Miglia or another similar rally.
Think
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

theghiagirl wrote:
Loren wrote:
My original May 12, 1959 build lowlight has a dash pad

Loren, do you mind sharing the first 4 digits of your vin? I find it interesting that your Ghia was built May 12, 1959 and clearly has the retaining vent plates and retaining strip on the bottom edge of the dash. The data posted by GHIA shows that July 6,1959 was the start of the retaining vent plates and retaining strip at lower edge.

Surprising my June '59 does not have the retaining vent plates or edge strip that Loren's earlier Ghia has.

aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

HOT VW's October 02..

John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Denzel Lowlight Ghia at Gooding Reply with quote

I've edited the thread title to include "Denzel" as it might catch the eye of someone who knows the history of the car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Lowlight at Gooding Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Douglas Denlinger wrote:
I looked this car over at Gooding, couldn't stay for the bidding, so thanks for posting the results. There were several paint repairs that were blatantly obvious, even in the poorly lit corner where it was displayed. Would have been nice to have the engine lid open to inspect the engine. Also would have nice to know "WHEN" the engine was mated with the car, documentation. Description was less than revealing.
Yes many wrong details, if I remember this car was restored 20/25 years ago for a TN collector who has been selling.

"Would have been nice" is the understatement of the young year!

I find it absolutely shocking that bidders weren't able to personally inspect that portion of the Ghia that essentially doubled its value.
Judging by the level of bidding, though, there apparently were at least a few people willing to gamble on what they only saw photos of.

So is the Denzel performance set-up really better than any of the more readily available vintage speed set-ups such as Okrassa, Judson, etc., or is it just the rarity of the Denzel engine that makes it so desirable?

How does the performance of the best vintage speed set-ups for a Type I VW engine compare with that of a Porsche stock 356 or Super 90 engine?

I doubt that actual performance is the issue. You could get similar HP out of a well built 1600 dual port.
Porsche engines from the time were 60hp 75hp and I think they had the Super 90hp by then, so more than a Denzel.
There is a lot of speculation on the value of the Denzel and if the person who Bought the car even knows about the history of Denzel or its significance. It would be funny if it turns out they bought the car because they needed the engine for a Denzel body!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: