Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Number 3 is down ........ SOLVED
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Number 3 is down ........ SOLVED Reply with quote

I have two sheds...... one for the extra Vanagon parts .....

The other is for the extra Karmann Ghia parts......

Old VW's do this to a guy.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Number 3 is down ........ SOLVED Reply with quote

RGS Paul wrote:
That's exactly the setup I was running. I'm not overly impressed with the STI wires, they are loose on the plugs for one. Ordered new Bosch ones from GoWesty last night and informed Van Cafe of the failure.

Paul

Paul, did you remove the screw-on ends from the spark plugs which exposes the threaded stud? Those wires I linked above require that. Mine are very snug with the reassuring clicking when you push on the wires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Number 3 is down ........ SOLVED Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

Paul, did you remove the screw-on ends from the spark plugs which exposes the threaded stud? Those wires I linked above require that. Mine are very snug with the reassuring clicking when you push on the wires.

Yup, didn't miss that step. The Bosch wires also required removal of that cap so I have gotten used to removing them over the last decade.

I might have been a little harsh on the STI wires. Looking at them again 'loose' isn't the right term, they have about 5° of end play if you try to move the wire while connected to the plug. In comparison the Bosch one is around 1°. However, since the Bosch ones are NLA we gotta look for options somewhere, these are a wear item after all. Credit is due to Van Cafe, Mike offered to send me a replacement set immediately when I notified them one died.

Thanks again to theSamba for helping triage the problem.

Paul
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Number 3 is down Reply with quote

Props to Mark. His post should be a stand alone Sticky! If you're new to the game, or not, that is the quickest way to walk down a misfire. In this situation it was pretty clearly not a vacuum leak, probably why he didn't mention it. I always check for a vacuum leak, then follow the program Mark laid out. If that doesn't get it done, you're going into the leak down test. So glad it was just a crappy wire. On the mention of the ends on the spark plug, I hate it when I space out screwing off the ends until all the plugs are in and I'm trying to install the wires!

MarkWard wrote:
A couple tips. When confronted with a cylinder miss that can be pinpointed to a particular cylinder, here are 4 easy tests. Swap the plug wires at the distributor and the plug. If no improvent, swap the spark plugs. No improvement, Swap the injector connectors and last, swap the injectors themselves. Assuming the engine has enough compression to ignite the fuel charge, one of the above tests should move the misfire. If the miss does move when you are testing, it will give you an idea of the cause.

This is often quicker and less expensive than just trying new parts.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Number 3 is down ........ SOLVED Reply with quote

I love it when a plan comes together, +1 on props to Mark!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: