Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pdsit Choke shaft end piece.. wierd issue
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Pdsit Choke shaft end piece.. wierd issue Reply with quote

So I was going to adjust choke on one of the carbs on my 78, 1800.

I went to turn counter clockwise to wind the choke flap shut.. however I found that the end piece where the spring pulls against .... was free spinning.

I checked the other carb and it appears as though it is a hard connection.

Looking on the carb manual on here it appears to be one piece.

I'm not as familiar with these carbs... but is this end piece just pressed on? Or a key way or? It moves independantly on mine it seems...

Anyone else experience this/ have to fix this?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pdsit Choke shaft end piece.. wierd issue Reply with quote

on most chokes the center is anchored into a pin with a slot in the center of the choke, and the other end wraps around the lever that moves the choke butterfly. If either attachment point is damaged, or the coiled spring has slipped off it will spin.

From Gallery

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pdsit Choke shaft end piece.. wierd issue Reply with quote

The one on the good side doesn't look keyed that way... more oval... or just round...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/solex_34_pdsit_2_3/Solex_34_PDSIT_2_3_Carburetor_1.jpg

Its #21

Doesn't really show it how its round...

I feel like there is something else that should be securing it and its unlikely that it had worn the way it appears that it has...

Anyone who has taken choke apart before?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pdsit Choke shaft end piece.. wierd issue Reply with quote

if the rod #21 works right then make sure that the choke spring is good because it engages that rod like the photo I linked. I have seen hundreds of chokes on solex and other carbs.
krisbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pdsit Choke shaft end piece.. wierd issue Reply with quote

Right, understood Kent. Just to be clear what is going on:

When I grab that end piece with my hand in your photo that is supposed to be solidly mounted (the piece that the spring hooks against) and when I grab the choke butterfly with my other hand I can move these 2 pieces (that i think should be one as indicated by part #21) independantly from each other.

I took off the other side carb choke spring and it confirmed my assumption as that piece is solidly mounted to butterfly... unlike the trouble side carb choke shaft.

I just can't believe this part would be stripped... there is no way it would get enough torque....

The diagram I found does not show all the pieces... as another piece sits in behind the piece that the spring grabs and sitting in between them what appears to be a round brass bushing.

Any more accurate diagrams?
I'll see if I can take pics
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pdsit Choke shaft end piece.. wierd issue Reply with quote

the choke butterflies are solidly connected to the choke butterfly shaft. There is a second lever in the photo which is inboard of the main choke lever, and it is usually called an unloader. Its purpose is to open the choke when a greater load is applied. I think Bentley shows all these parts and adjustments clearly. MAke a video and post it if you can't figure it out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: