Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift Knob Insert
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

I've got this walnut shift knob that I would like to use on my super beetle. Problem is, it dosen't have the threaded insert required to attach it. I'm in the process of searching the classifieds, but so far, I haven't had much luck in finding anything. Anyone know where I might source such an item or do I need to get one from another knob?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

Apoxy in a bolt with the right thread? Might work.
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Thanks Pruneman99. May have to go that route. Hoping to find a proper insert, though.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
Thanks Pruneman99. May have to go that route. Hoping to find a proper insert, though.

They very well probably exist. Probably have to source one from an existing knob, but then you already have another with one in it Laughing
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

Since that knob is not rare- I'm certain you'll spend as much time fussing with it as you would finding another in better condition. Some crazy people on here think they are a mega rare "formula vee" only thing- but they are not. They were simply packaged and sold for YEARS at dealers with the FV packaging.

Because of its lack of rarity, I'd have no problem epoxying a nut in there- but plan on altering said nut a bit. It will need the points ground down on your wheel. I'd also make a spacer of sorts that keeps your threads raised above the bottom of the shaft hole- and keep the surface of the nut just proud of the knob's base. You can also then use a shallow (flatter) shaft nut to tighten the main nut in position on the shift lever.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

Quote:
use on my super beetle

Do you know that the shifter on later Bugs 'spin'?
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

If mine, I think I'd epoxy in or thread in a solid threaded insert there instead of an actual nut.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
If mine, I think I'd epoxy in or thread in a solid threaded insert there instead of an actual nut.

That's the plan. Just found this site and order this:

https://www.johnnylawmotors.com/catalog/interior/b...e-138=2639

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

Good advice Cusser. I was first thinking of that- the kind sold at our local woodcrafter's supply store- but wondered if they made 'em in metric. Makes sense!

Runamoc- That's what I count on! I'm so OCD when it comes to driving my later beetle- I always spin the knob/sport shaft so the knob faces me correctly. I bet I do this at every stop! Great, now I have to out in the barn to check that it's straight right now! Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
use on my super beetle

Do you know that the shifter on later Bugs 'spin'?

That feature must be 75 and later models. I've owned 2 SB. A 73 which was purchased new in 1973 and a 74 which I became the 2nd owner in 2011. Both years have the no spin variety.

runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

Quote:
That feature must be 75 and later models

Actually, the 'feature' happened with '68 and later models. Does your shifter ball have a pin sticking out that 'fits' the slot in the shifter rod end? If it doesn't it spins.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Quote:
That feature must be 75 and later models

Actually, the 'feature' happened with '68 and later models. Does your shifter ball have a pin sticking out that 'fits' the slot in the shifter rod end? If it doesn't it spins.

My bad. Since this thread is about shift knobs, I thought you meant the
knob spins on the shifter. Guess I didn't notice you said shifter instead of shift knob. I checked and my shifter does not have pin that fits in the shift rod end, so I do have a "spinner" Never noticed. The 73 had this same knob on it and I put 100,000 miles on her and never noticed. Maybe it had the pins. And the 74 has a solid black knob on it, so it's not something one can see by the knob position.

boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

I have a similar knob on my 73 Super. It is listed in the sales ticket for my car. With your knob, can you see a way to pop out the top shift pattern insert, or is it part of the metal insert visible from the bottom. The black and red is chipping from mine, and I want to repair it.

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

boundstaffpress wrote:
I have a similar knob on my 73 Super. It is listed in the sales ticket for my car. With your knob, can you see a way to pop out the top shift pattern insert, or is it part of the metal insert visible from the bottom. The black and red is chipping from mine, and I want to repair it.

It's not connected to insert. Mine has no insert at the moment. (See 2nd photo above). I've ordered a pkg of inserts that has the one I need included.

There maybe a way to remove the shift pattern, but it will be a tedious task, as it sits flush with the recess made for it. I don't see a way to get under it to remove it without damaging the knob.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

Quote:
The black and red is chipping from mine, and I want to repair it.
I revived a used walnut shift knob with the same emblem by dabbing black Testor's model paint into the pit. Use the end of a toothpick, since you don't want the paint to spill out of the pit over onto the level surface. Let dry. Repeat about 30 times to build up the thickness. Same with the red, though the red is a "metallic". When all was dry, I polished the entire emblem surface with a very fine chrome polish- Simichrome or Autosol. Not perfect, but much better.
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift Knob Insert Reply with quote

I have an enameling kiln and enamel powder and rods. If I restore the emblem I will try to use these instead of paint. Thank you for the idea though.

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: