Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Slipped out of my hand while oiling the liner, busted the skirt.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Will this liner still work or do I have to buy a new set?
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

You can buy a single from aircooled.net. You’ll feel better about doing that than trying to use the busted one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Replace it, there could be stress fractures you're not seeing.

Last thing you want is to be driving down the road and hear BANG.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

There are a few vendors that will break a set and sell a single P/C but you must call and ask. They don't usually list them on their websites.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Well if it's just a 69mm stroke engine just clean that up and use it. I don't see any cracks. Dremel or angle grinder with a flapper wheel?
But I don't like that Crease in the cylinder at all! I guess as long as it doesn't tighten on the piston? Just have to try it!

Last edited by Danwvw on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Well if it's just a 69mm stroke engine just clean that up and use it. I don't see any cracks. Dremel or angle grinder with a flapper wheel?

Are you really willing to gamble to save just $60?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Piston-Cylinder-Single-87mm-x-69mm-Slip-In-p/vw8700t1-single.htm

Quote:
87mm x 69-76mm Hypereutectic Slip-In Piston & Cylinder Set, Single P&C, Fits 85.5mm Case Head, AA Brand, Type 1, VW8700T1 is for you guys that dropped one, or it dropped on you in the engine! We sell single P&Cs to bail out guys in a predicament, we've been doing this for over a decade!
Price: $59.95

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Well Dan, when you put it like that... I really think this would work fine, but you're right, I would hate to be going down the road, or worse, out in the hills and go 'bang'. So, new set of 4 monday morning. I'll have spares Smile

I looked at the link for the individual piece, price is ok but cheapest shipping option was $27. A little high I think.

Thanks all for the input.
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

where did all the weld spots come from?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

When you get the new one, spike that sum bitch into the garage floor hard as you can for me.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

I got a set with 25000 on them you can have.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Our shipping quotes are all estimated high. We mark them down after we actually box up the order.

rbucklin wrote:
Well Dan, when you put it like that... I really think this would work fine, but you're right, I would hate to be going down the road, or worse, out in the hills and go 'bang'. So, new set of 4 monday morning. I'll have spares Smile

I looked at the link for the individual piece, price is ok but cheapest shipping option was $27. A little high I think.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Our shipping quotes are all estimated high. We mark them down after we actually box up the order.

rbucklin wrote:

i will vouche on that john... purchased a cranj, rods some odds and ends thru the span of a few years... throough your website..

i agree the quotes are meant for safety but everytime i pay (during purchase) the shipping quote ends up lower than expected...

nothing against cbperf. but i order from them too and their shipping quote is as high but it never goes lower than expected.. LOL actual quotes end up actual bills...

not to jab at OP

but i live in the philippines... so shipping is easily x3 of local cost in 'merica Razz surprises me ur locals rag about within the 48state shipping rate

porting my SP head for my brother's project
https://youtu.be/OS_mVjQuqgk
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Me too! I pay the part, the shipping (which is often way more expensive than the part itself), then import duties, a processing fee, and then you pay tax on all of those costs.

The good side to this is that at that price, you don't drop pistons Laughing .
ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Me too! I pay the part, the shipping (which is often way more expensive than the part itself), then import duties, a processing fee, and then you pay tax on all of those costs.

hahahahahaha i agree hahahaha Very Happy

porting my SP head for my brother's project
https://youtu.be/OS_mVjQuqgk
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Those 87's are so thin it probably tweaked the whole barrel out of round when it hit the floor.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Get new. You'll never get a piston inside that inward surface, look at that dent on the bottom ridge of the cylinder.

You made a mistake in dropping it, just get new and take your medicine once !!! I know "we VW folks" tend to be cheap, time to man up.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

eye wood check it out real good with dial bore gauge,and eyeball for cracks, if it passes those ,then deburr, hone properly and stick it togeather. thats a non issue portion of the cylinder. hell look at the type 4 cylinder with a bigger cutout. of coarse any body could effup any thing with nothing even if there is nothing rong with it. so...it's on you.and you will need to go in the top with the piston/ring package. unless your good at the deburring and carfull inserting it. Ive knotched the hell out of cylinder, some v8's do by hand some you stick in the mill. thats nothing if done right.
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Parker: The end flange had a couple what look like grind marks out of the box. Other than the break from me everything there is as delivered in the box.

Cusser: Yup, carelessness can cost. So does bad luck. or both?

Freebug: Made me laugh. Smile Still pissed though.

Dan, would take you up on it but have a serious time crunch so noe the motor is out of the car, body and steering going on today and new part first thing tomorrow. Should have the engine cleaned up, together and fired up tomorrow.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

One thing about AA cylinders is they are pliable yet can crack or even tare. Back in the day the Cofaps and Mahle we're so hard they would shatter or break in two if dropped, now these can still crack but stay together. I had the experience of in precivable cracks in a set I damaged torquing, leaking a lot of oil right through the sidewall.

This one tore when forced.

These cracked when the heads were torqued due to the fins weren't clearanced and I did not notice untill running the engine. And oil was splashing out through the sidewalls.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

ralf wrote:
FreeBug wrote:

hahahahahaha i agree hahahaha Very Happy

Came across this looking for parts in UK:

Typical prices are:
Rep. Ireland, France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands - £28
Austria, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Italy, Portugal, Spain - £28
Norway, Switzerland (inc. customs charge) - £70
Rest of Europe except Cyprus and Malta - £35
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: