Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

rbucklin wrote:
Slipped out of my hand while oiling the liner, busted the skirt.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Will this liner still work or do I have to buy a new set?

I'd consider it God's way of telling you that 94's are the way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
rbucklin wrote:
Slipped out of my hand while oiling the liner, busted the skirt.

Will this liner still work or do I have to buy a new set?

I'd consider it God's way of telling you that 94's are the way to go.
thats my kind of thinken!!! and add some stroke too!!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
One thing about AA cylinders is they are pliable yet can crack or even tare. Back in the day the Cofaps and Mahle we're so hard they would shatter or break in two if dropped, now these can still crack but stay together. I had the experience of in precivable cracks in a set I damaged torquing, leaking a lot of oil right through the sidewall.

This one tore when forced.

These cracked when the heads were torqued due to the fins weren't clearanced and I did not notice untill running the engine. And oil was splashing out through the sidewalls.
that to me looks like somebody needs to learn how to build a engine, nothing else. not trying to start a pissing contest. but thats what I see.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Definitely! The thing is. I used to use a rubber hammer years ago on them and never had the rings mess up and the cylinder tear like that but yes my fault for first trying to use a NAPA Auto parts ring compressor a big hose clamp works much better. And I am never using that rubber hammer again on something so fragile!
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Well, motor is back together with all new parts, no busted cylinders. Will put it in this afternoon after the tank gets plumbed and fire it up. Fingers crossed.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped An 87mm barrel, will it still work? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Definitely! The thing is. I used to use a rubber hammer years ago on them and never had the rings mess up and the cylinder tear like that but yes my fault for first trying to use a NAPA Auto parts ring compressor a big hose clamp works much better. And I am never using that rubber hammer again on something so fragile!
Ive never put the pistins in the jugs with the pistons attached to the rods. it's much eazer to just put the pistons in the jugs on the bench where there not flopping all around..... for the vw stuff I use the wavy lisle ring compressor that looks like a oil filter wrench. you can ste preload on them and not scar anything.makes it oh so eazy and fast too. if you do happen to fold a ring as dan did throw it away. do not try to straighten it it will fuck up the cylinder.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: