Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater tube fix
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

I wanted HEAT in my car. Yes, I'm from SoCal, but winter here is a great time to drive your car. But it's still difficult, especially in the morning, because of the condensation mostly, but it can still get cold.

I have heater boxes, but they were never hooked up to the body. So I ordered some heater tubes from WW after a misfire from the local VW place.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=712061&highlight=he

The exterior (physical construction) of the tubes were very nice. Seems like a quality product. But the interior baffles are a complete joke. So restricted due to the stupid spring that's supposed to hold the insulation.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Most of the air passage is blocked.

So, let's fix it.

Last edited by Pruneman99 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:56 am; edited 4 times in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

So let's pull that crap out. lucky, one end unscrews, making it easy.

So we have the batting, and some big, stupid spring thing that supposed to keep the air passage open.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

It's kinda tough to see from these pictures, but the spring that's supposed to hold the batting is actually smaller than the openings!

Even if the batting was not just puffing through the wide open springs, or too long blocking the openings, it would still be restrictive.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

The fix.

$2.50 at the hardware store for some wire mesh.

Cut it, and the overstuffed batting to 9 1/2"

Leave the ends on purpose, and bend them so it can catch on itself when rolled into a taco

The width was not measured, just rolled, and cut, so it would wrap on itself, slightly smaller than the ID of the baffles.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

Roll the mesh carefully so it doesn't kink with the cut batting on the outside and so it will slide into the baffles. Just use your fingers to expand the mesh, and the tangs you left when you cut the mesh will catch on itself. (I bent the tangs slightly outward after it cut it for this reason).

Sorry I didn't get a picture of this step. Just place the batting down on a flat surface, and roll your wire "taco" over it.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

Side your mesh taco into the baffles and push the mesh out.

Finished product:

Much better! And you can use the stupid spring things as toys.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

nice fix. I know the stock ones I have had seem to be just plastic without insulation.

On a side note....come to Ohio. It is 18 degrees and I just looked out and have 16 inches of stupid white stuff to plow. Cali seems like a dream to me Sad

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

I did the same thing, only I replaced the fiber glass insulation with jute padding. I did not want fiber glass blowing into the car
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

Do you notice better heater airflow post modification versus before?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

Nice "How To" write up Pruneman.

I agree with Dake on the replacement of the fiber glass for the Juke padding.
I really wouldn't want to breath the fibers blowing about the interior of the car.

A friend bought a set of those WW heater ducts. He said that the fiber glass got pushed out from the springing thingies clogging the ducts. He opted for a set of stockers.

Have a great day. And stay warm.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Do you notice better heater airflow post modification versus before?

I haven't installed them, I'll probably put them in today and report back. It sure couldn't be worse after this though. I was getting air into the cabin, it just wasn't what the volume I remember from the last time I had a bug with working heat.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

I thought about replacing the insulation with another padding, but after I rolled it up and saw how nice and tight the end result is, I think I'll just go with it.

Although it would be quite easy to use another padding for this procedure.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
nice fix. I know the stock ones I have had seem to be just plastic without insulation.

On a side note....come to Ohio. It is 18 degrees and I just looked out and have 16 inches of stupid white stuff to plow. Cali seems like a dream to me Sad

Really a very clever fix. My stock ones are the same i.e. without insulation.

On a side note...don't come to Sydney in the summer. We hit 113F (45C) in places in Western Sydney last Friday. Our heaters work fine and some of us even run thermostats. Between your snow and our sizzlers the world might have a pleasant place to live. But I'd love to see a little bit of snow here (never happen!).
type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater tube fix Reply with quote

I am that guy "67rustavenger" is talking about. The bug (66) came with those empi heater tubes. I assumed they were ok when I started to fix my heater system. Rolling Eyes

At one point I ran a camera into the heater channels thinking there was a nest or something blocking it, replaced the tubes up to the corner vents, center vent. Adjusted cables. Finally popped one of those off, almost completely blocked. I did the exact thing you did, hardware store screen, much less insulation. Worked great.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: